Statistics
Number of Posts: 3,812
[0.43% of all post / 3.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Dame Iris Murdoch (1919)
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 3:17:20 AM
Today's Birthday
Dame Iris Murdoch (1919)
An Irish-born novelist and philosopher, Murdoch studied at Cambridge under prominent philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein before pursuing a career in writing. Her novels focus on the idea that free will is illusory and depict humans as "accidental" creatures, seemingly free but actually bound to self, society, and the natural world. She penned 26 novels and many philosophical works before Alzheimer's ended her writing career.
Topic: The Chowchilla School Bus Kidnapping (1976)
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 3:13:15 AM
This Day in History
The Chowchilla School Bus Kidnapping (1976)
Chowchilla is a small California town that made national headlines when kidnappers took control of a school bus full of children in 1976. The 26 children and their bus driver, Ed Ray, were driven around in two vans for 11 hours before being forced into a moving van buried in a quarry. After 16 hours underground, Ray and the children managed to escape. All were safely returned home, and the kidnappers were soon arrested.
Topic: We are not rich in the bank, but we have always prospered, and we have quite enough. I never walk out with my husband but I...
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 3:12:09 AM
Quotation of the Day

We are not rich in the bank, but we have always prospered, and we have quite enough. I never walk out with my husband but I hear the people bless him ... I never lie down at night but I know that in the course of that day he has alleviated pain and soothed some fellow-creature in the time of need ... Is not this to be rich?

Charles Dickens (1812-1870)
Topic: Captain Nemo
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 3:10:36 AM
Article of the Day
Captain Nemo
One of the most famous antiheroes in fiction, Captain Nemo is an enigmatic character featured in Jules Verne's Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and The Mysterious Island. A scientific genius, Nemo roams the depths of the sea in his submarine, the Nautilus. Though he projects a stern confidence, he is driven by a thirst for vengeance and, at the same time, is wracked with remorse over the deaths of his crew members and even his enemies.
Topic: Basset Hound Games
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 3:09:18 AM
Today's Holiday
Basset Hound Games
The Basset Hound games are held annually at Legion Park in Woodburn, Oregon, as a way to bring together Basset Hound owners and their dogs in a day of light-hearted activities. The dogs compete in such custom-tailored Basset Hound events as longest ears, marathon napping, and the best howl. The public is welcome to view the games. The event is run by and raises money for Oregon Basset Hound Rescue, a non-profit group that fosters abandoned Basset Hounds and places them in permanent homes.
Topic: curare
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 3:07:57 AM
Word of the Day
curare
Definition: (noun) A toxic alkaloid found in certain tropical South American trees that is a powerful relaxant for striated muscles.
Synonyms: tubocurarine
Usage: The arrow was usually tipped with a poison, such as curare, which would stun or kill the struck prey.
Topic: be not worth a brass farthing
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 2:59:02 AM
Idiom of the Day
be not worth a brass farthing — To be completely worthless or useless; to have little or no value. Refers to farthings (obsolete British units of currency, worth one-quarter of a penny), formerly made from a copper alloy (brass). Primarily heard in UK.
Topic: Gradable Adverbs
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 2:56:32 AM
Daily Grammar Lesson
Gradable Adverbs
We can only make comparisons using "gradable adverbs," meaning adverbs that are able to move up and down on a scale of intensity. The majority of adverbs are gradable.
Topic: Emmeline Pankhurst (1858)
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2018 4:11:43 AM
Today's Birthday
Emmeline Pankhurst (1858)
Pankhurst was a leading British suffragette. In 1889, she founded the Women's Franchise League, which in 1894 secured for married women the right to vote in local elections. She later advocated militancy, mainly in the form of arson, and was once arrested 12 times in a year. During World War I, she organized a rally of 30,000 women to encourage employers to let men fight while women did their jobs in England. Pankhurst also founded the Women's Social and Political Union.
Topic: St. Mark's Campanile Collapses (1902)
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2018 4:10:32 AM
This Day in History
St. Mark's Campanile Collapses (1902)
Originally built in the 9th century, St. Mark's Campanile is the 323-foot (98.6-m) bell tower of St. Mark's Basilica in Venice, Italy. It has been damaged many times in its history, including by fire and an earthquake. In 1902, a crack appeared in its north wall. On the morning of July 14, the campanile collapsed. Remarkably, no one was killed by the collapse, and only one building was damaged. Reconstruction of the campanile was completed in 1912.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.