Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 4,563
[0.50% of all post / 3.28 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: stuffed to the gills
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 12:44:24 AM
Idiom of the Day
stuffed to the gills — Completely full; teeming; having no room to spare.
Topic: Garifuna Settlement Day
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 12:31:29 AM
Today's Holiday
?

Garifuna Settlement Day
Garifuna Settlement Day honors the heritage of the Garifuna people, a unique ethnic group in the Caribbean and Central America. In 1943, Garafuna Settlement Day was declared a holiday in the southern districts of Belize, and it is now celebrated throughout the country. There are long sessions of traditional drumming and dancing, and Garifuna crafts and food are sold and displayed. Events to raise awareness and appreciation of Garifuna culture are common, including special days to dress in traditional clothing, a Miss Garifuna Belize beauty pageant, parades, and rallies.
Topic: Lord I disbelieve -- help thou my unbelief.
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 12:30:35 AM
Quotation of the Day
?
Lord I disbelieve -- help thou my unbelief.
E. M. Forster (1879-1970)
Topic: Lord I disbelieve -- help thou my unbelief.
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 12:30:34 AM
Quotation of the Day
?
Lord I disbelieve -- help thou my unbelief.
E. M. Forster (1879-1970)
Topic: William Ashley "Billy" Sunday (1862)
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 12:28:19 AM
Today's Birthday
?

William Ashley "Billy" Sunday (1862)
Sunday was the most popular American evangelist of the World War I era, drawing an estimated 100 million people to his revival meetings. Preaching was a second career for him. Before undergoing a religious conversion, he had been a professional baseball player. A flamboyant fundamentalist whose sermons reflected the social upheaval of the transition from a rural to an urban society, Sunday advocated a strict morality and promoted Prohibition.
Topic: Prestige Oil Spill (2002)
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 12:27:00 AM
This Day in History
?

Prestige Oil Spill (2002)
On Nov. 13, 2002, the Prestige oil tanker suffered damage in a storm and began leaking oil. Denied entry to ports in Spain, France, and Portugal, the stricken vessel was kept at sea for nearly a week before it broke apart and sank about 150 mi (250 km) from the Spanish coast. The resulting oil spill, the worst environmental disaster in Spain's history, fouled much of the Galician coastline as well as parts of the French coast.
Topic: Coronal Loops
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 12:25:05 AM
Article of the Day
?

Coronal Loops
Visible around the darkened Sun during a total solar eclipse, the corona is the luminous envelope surrounding the Sun outside the chromosphere—the upper, rarefied solar atmosphere. The basic structure of the corona is formed by coronal loops, which result from the twisted solar magnetic flux within the Sun and exhibit a wide range of temperatures.
Topic: deadpan
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 12:16:47 AM

Word of the Day
?
deadpan
Definition: (adjective) Deliberately impassive in manner.
Synonyms: expressionless, poker-faced, unexpressive, impassive
Usage: Although he was distraught when the guilty verdict was read, his deadpan expression made it seem as though he did not care.
Topic: Mitigators and Intensifiers
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 12:14:39 AM
Daily Grammar Lesson
?
Participle Phrases in Middle Position
When a participle phrase occurs in the middle position, and is not essential to the meaning of the sentence, it should be set apart from the rest of the sentence by two commas.
Topic: not do a stroke (of work)
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 12:21:46 AM
Idiom of the Day
not do a stroke (of work) — To not do any work at all.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.