Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 21
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: by roland
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2018 12:08:00 PM

Romany said:
BTW, Justina - the word "chancre" came into English via the Normans and is still in use today. Do you know what it means? If not look it up - it'll also demonstrate the wit of this writer: It may also give you a laugh!

The word has the same meaning in Romanian. Many Romanian words have been borrowed from French, especially medical terms. If the Columbian theory (according to which syphilis was brought in Europe after Columbus discovered America) is right, it means that the word was coined after around 1500 AD. This theory was invalidated however. Syphilis is as old as the oldest profession.
Topic: school assembly
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2018 1:35:21 PM
In Romania and maybe in the former USSR, the first day of school was (and probably still is) reserved for a comprehensive assembly of the faculty and pupils together with many parents in the schoolyard, and in a festive mood.
I don't think, however, that this was a Soviet inovation. It may have beenthe result of the massive cultural French influence upon the Romanian life.
There wasn't a special name for the event. We simply called it "careu" which can be translated as "square".
Topic: calculating
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2018 1:19:00 PM
Just a little correction, Romany:
Savez-vous means in French "Do you know"?
"Do you understand"? in French is "Comprenez-vous?", or "Est-ce que vous comprenez"?
Topic: the king and the mole
Posted: Thursday, November 8, 2018 5:51:49 PM
The Cambridge dictionary explains the word "mole" as a person who works within an organization, such as a government department, and secretly reports information about its activities to its enemy. I met this word years ago in Asimov's Foundation.
Topic: It's Later Than We Think
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2018 8:18:27 PM
Mea culpa two times, Hope123
Firstly, for attributing Will's citation to you.
Secondly, for using an inadequate word - prestation. It meant to say participation to forum.
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2018 8:07:52 PM
Hope123

I chose your words only to stress why some threads are more and more avoided. The citation has nothing to do with your prestation, which is mostly neutral and seems driven by a genuine interest in knowledge.
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2018 5:31:05 PM

Hope123 wrote:
I don’t even visit the Politics subforum here because certain members (who I suspect share many of my political views) insist on using inflammatory titles.

The forum should be a place for sharing ideas. Whether in politics, science and technology or elsewhere, our goal is to SHARE ideas, not to IMPOSE them. There are posters who, given the absence of a Moderator, enjoy transforming it into a toxic place. I suggest they shouldn't be answered when their linguistic behavior is subpar. Even a gibe should be considered improper.

It's up to you, dear forum participants, to keep your house clean.

Topic: Please explain a sentence.
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 12:09:35 PM
One who uses a vulgar language disqualifies oneself as a valid interlocutor. The arrogance, impertinence, and impropriety join this person’s endeavors to impose by any means their POV.
The wise ignore them. The meek comply. And the proud provoke them.
Topic: Repulseicans plan to kill medicare, social security and medicaid
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2018 3:02:38 PM
Very good point, DragonSpeaker!
Topic: Global Warming: A Refreshing Perspective
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2018 2:04:32 PM
In spite of his stellar activity, don't expect Dr. Michaels and his collaborators to be taken seriously in consideration by most of our media. At least, not now. As of today, he is a pariah in the eyes of the alarmists.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.