Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 66
[0.01% of all post / 0.06 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: My TIDBIT of the day
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2017 5:24:16 PM
In Ireland the general vernacular for women of 'a certain age' seems to be Missus, whether there is any particular indication of your marital status.

I have never felt nor seen any offense taken or meant.
Topic: Dad, I was wrong. Please forgive me, never again.
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 3:10:21 PM
bihunsedap wrote:
He hit me many times.
I not letting him to drink milk unless he confess he was wrong.

I asked him to say, "Dad, I was wrong. Please forgive me, never again."

Does it sound natural?

===================

Try this as well:

I would not let him drink milk until he confessed that he was wrong.

Topic: Let The Death Die.
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 3:31:53 PM

I am so sorry for your great loss.

Yet as you show, they live still in you and in your love for them, and through you, they give their love still to the world.
Topic: Woenderful Flight
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 2:56:57 PM
Thanks, Ash,

I haven't heard that poem in a long time and it always makes me glad.
Topic: Robert Steele: CIA Director John Brennan plotted this false flag attacK with Senator John McCain
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 11:52:20 AM
Hi, Yarin,

One of the first communal understandings that arose in the early days of email and the 'net was that using all-caps is SHOUTING!!. Use them only if it your intention to shout. If you are quoting someone else, make it clear that they are doing the shouting, not you.

Just a friendly update.
Topic: Avoiding political harassment (for fair-minded readers)
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 11:26:31 AM
Sorry, Parser, but this time and with all due respect, I just don't believe you know what you're talking about. I have been in and around university campuses for forty years and sure-fire ways to have an eventful, challenging collegial experience:

1. Make assessments, not assertions.
2. Be unwilling or unable to provide evidence for your assertions.
3. Talk over other people. Drown them out. Don't let others express their points of view.
4. Be condescending. Cloak your dismissal in reasonableness
4. Do engage in deception.
5. Do denigrate people; do not allow the stance of an elected or appointed official on 'your side' to be questioned; never allow anyone to question their actions.
6. Do engage in slander and libel.
7. Be disrespectful.

8. Remember that the First Amendment only applies to you and to fair-minded people like you. When 'they' get angry because your viewpoint threatens their livelihood, freedoms, or rights, they are acting out of blindness, shallowness, and ignorance
If they feel your viewpoint threatens their livelihood, freedoms, or rights, they are hysterical.

9. All news and facts that don't support your point of view are fake. This one has only cropped up recently, both in general news and in scientific research funded by those who have an investment in a particular outcome (this used to be a no-no.)

10. Protests are okay (from either 'side'). Mobs are better. All mobs Join mobs. Mobs don't behave the way individuals do. You don't have to behave responsibly. You can do things you wouldn't dream of doing normally

Topic: Decline of American Men
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2017 4:29:35 AM
Good points, Drago,

To augment what you observed:

It might also have been a better when to invest in a company meant to provide the capital for that company to expand or improve. You were betting on the company, its product or services performance in the marketplace in the long run, rather than gambling on the stock market based on abstract numbers about price shares and single page industry/company statistics.
Topic: Decline of American Men
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2017 3:39:26 PM
A few things to consider:

I heard a lot of rhetoric in the recent U.S. election about 'trickle down' economics, where large tax breaks granted to the very wealthy and to corporations spur growth and provide jobs to the middle and lower economic classes. Unfortunately, these breaks are not tied to investment in companies that provide jobs, nor to increasing the the standard of living of employees to a living wage. Quite the opposite, in fact. For various reasons, including automation, but also because of America's abysmal investment in public education, and the unavailability of education programs that enable working people to provide for their families and 'up-skill', the adjusted income of the American workforce has dropped significantly.

When a skill becomes obsolete in a society because technology has superseded the need, it cannot be artificially sustained. How many chariot-makers or buggy-whip manufacturers are around today? How much Laudanum gets synthesized for surgical anesthesia?

So too today automation and more efficient process management techniques like just-in-time and agile have supplanted slower, more labor intensive middle management systems.

Where do these workers go? Some do get training in alternate professions. For various reasons, many get stuck in low-wage, 0-hour 24/7 jobs that barely pay minimum wage, which many in government also want to abolish. (0-hour, 24/7 jobs are those in which the worker must be available to work at any time without notice, and in which no set number of hours are guaranteed per week. Also note that under current rules, a worker must be employed to qualify for food stamps, a form of government-subsidized food assistance for the very poor).

Another wee problem is that although after the 2007-8 Recession and bailouts, profits for American corporations and for executives of those corporations soared, this enormous influx of wealth has not trickled down. The wealth of the wealthy has just increased (for the most part. There are, of course and to be fair, many exceptions, and many cases in which the wealthy engage in genuinely philanthropic endeavors).

Since corporations bemoan the lack of highly skilled workers and the current American government wants to privatize education to unregulated private 'charter' schools so that the federal investment in education can be slashed, why not use the incentive of tax breaks to encourage corporations to invest directly in the educated workforce they need with paid work/study and full-time student educational offerings:

MS. Apple University of Computer Science
The Pharmaceutical Consortium of Biologic Sciences
ChevEx Earth Sciences

...and by providing the expertise of their own workforces in the secondary classrooms on a part-time basis (say, 8 hours a week).

Comments?

Topic: Senate votes to block funding for Planned Parenthood
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2017 3:53:34 PM
Just for the record, Planned Parenthood provides many health services to women besides birth control and abortions.

When I was a young student in California and our university health center was closed (and almost none of the students had any kind of medical insurance), PP was all we had in the way of medical treatment.

Many students chose to be on the pill, but a prescription was required by law, which meant regular doctor visit plus pharmacy prices, which students couldn't afford.

When will liberty-inclined conservatives acknowledge that although use of contraceptives and, in some cases, early term abortions may run counter to their own religious views, the choices are theirs to make only for themselves - not for others.

Women must struggle with the consequences of their choices, and this is not easy, nor should it be. I am NOT pro-abortion.

When no birth control is available, and legal abortions are available and affordable only to the well-off, unplanned children can result from carelessness, from assault, from the incidental ineffectiveness of the preventative methods used.

Some conservatives are vociferous in their condemnation of personal choice in this matter. They are strangely and suddenly silent when the children born in the wake of their crackdowns need adoption, or support, or food, or shelter.

I note the well-circulated photo of a meeting to debate women's health care coverage (maternity leave) among Republican House leaders last week. Not one woman present.

Many conservatives agree with my stance as outlined above, but simply object to tax-dollar support for something which, in conscience, they do not feel able to support. But I do not hear proposals of nor support for viable alternatives for women, especially poor women.

Topic: There are good teachers and there are GOOD teachers.
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:04:26 PM
And of course, those rich people, they must have made plenty of cents!

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.