Home Page http://facebook.com/WeaselADAPT
Statistics
Number of Posts: 192
[0.02% of all post / 0.11 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Sukkot
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 4:38:54 AM
Sukkot

Often referred to as the Feast of the Ingathering because of its associations with the gathering of the harvest and the close of the agricultural year, Sukkot also involved the performance of special ceremonies designed to induce rainfall.

the Weasel
Topic: Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890)
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 4:23:17 AM
What famous warning did [Eisenhower] issue in his final presidential address?

Quote:
In his farewell address to the nation, Eisenhower expressed his concerns about the dangers of massive military spending, particularly deficit spending and government contracts to private military manufacturers.

the Weasel
Topic: Theodore Roosevelt Shot in the Chest While Campaigning (1912)
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 4:17:44 AM
During a bid for the presidency in 1912, Roosevelt was shot by saloonkeeper John Schrank. The bullet lodged in his chest after penetrating a steel eyeglass case and a folded copy of the 50-page speech he was carrying in his jacket, but he refused to go to the hospital until after he had delivered his scheduled speech. Doctors deemed it too dangerous to remove the bullet, and it remained in Roosevelt's chest for the rest of his life. What did Roosevelt say about the shooting during his speech?

Quote:
Roosevelt, as an experienced hunter and anatomist, correctly concluded that since he was not coughing blood, the bullet had not completely penetrated the chest wall to his lung, and so declined suggestions he go to the hospital immediately. Instead, he delivered his scheduled speech with blood seeping into his shirt. He spoke for 90 minutes. His opening comments to the gathered crowd were, "Ladies and gentlemen, I don't know whether you fully understand that I have just been shot; but it takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose." Afterwards, probes and x-ray showed that the bullet had traversed three inches (76 mm) of tissue and lodged in Roosevelt's chest muscle but did not penetrate the pleura, and it would be more dangerous to attempt to remove the bullet than to leave it in place. Roosevelt carried it with him for the rest of his life.

the Weasel
Topic The Phonograph Cylinder
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 3:55:13 AM
What band released a track on wax cylinder in 2010?

The British steampunk band, The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing.

the Weasel
Topic: The Two Reciprocal Pronouns
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 3:48:01 AM
WeaselADAPT wrote:
I found the wording of Question 4 in the lesson to be rather unclear"

Quote:
4. When do we use a reciprocal pronoun instead of a reflexive pronoun?
a) When the subject of the sentence receives the action of the same verb
b) When the object of the sentence receives the action of the same verb
c) When the subjects of the sentence receive the action of the same verb individually and separately
d) When the subjects of the sentence receive the action of the same verb mutually and equally

the Weasel

Sheesh! This editor should take greater care to review his own work before posting!

"I found the wording of Question 4's multiple choice answers in today's lesson to be rather unclear:"

the Weasel
Topic: Using Interrogative Pronouns
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 3:42:26 AM
Quote:
(*Usage Note: Whom is becoming increasingly rare in modern English. Although it is technically more accurate to use whom when it functions as the object of a verb and who when it functions as the subject, it is now much more common to use who in both cases.)

I understand that time changes things, but I am sad to think of "whom" (and the rules that guide its usage) as lost to future generations.

the Weasel
Topic: I cannot think well of a man who sports with any woman's feelings; and there may often be a great deal more suffered than a...
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 3:34:42 AM
"I cannot think well of a man who sports with any woman's feelings; and there may often be a great deal more suffered than a stander-by can judge of." ~Jane Austen

Not a classic quote, really... However, given the subject matter of Austen's writing, it is certainly suitable to represent her.

I am really quite intrigued by her writing – the character portrayals and tight dialog – and much prefer her written works over the movies based on her books.

the Weasel
Topic: God is in the detail(s)
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 2:47:38 AM
Essentially, "perfection is in the details."

the Weasel
Topic: choleric
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 2:34:27 AM
My father was a bit choleric.

the Weasel
Topic: Festivals Acadiens
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2019 11:58:54 PM
This sounds like gastronomical paradise to me.

the Weasel

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.