Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 855
[0.10% of all post / 0.81 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: My political opinion of the day
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 3:55:14 AM
I'd like to add the following article as "political opinion of the day": How Trump is ending the American era.

It underlines how Trump is undermining his own government, ideals and country by ruining alliances and destroying America's reputation (not to mention economy).
It's nothing that hasn't been mentioned before by members of the forum, however, this time it comes from someone who has been involved with previous governments and thus has first-hand experience.

The author highlights Trump's weaknesses one by one with objective precision and shows how the world responds:

Quote:
He can read speeches written for him by others, as he did in Warsaw on July 6, but he cannot himself articulate a worldview that goes beyond a teenager’s bluster. He lays out his resentments, insecurities, and obsessions on Twitter for all to see, opening up a gold mine to foreign governments seeking to understand and manipulate the American president.

Quote:
Foreign governments have adapted. They flatter Trump outrageously. [...] They take him to military parades; they talk tough-guy-to-tough-guy; they show him the kind of deference that only someone without a center can crave. And so he flip-flops: Paris was no longer “so, so out of control, so dangerous” once he’d had dinner in the Eiffel Tower; Xi Jinping, during an April visit to Mar-a-Lago, went from being the leader of a parasitic country intent on ripping off American workers to being “a gentleman” who “wants to do the right thing.” (By July, Trump was back to bashing China, for doing “NOTHING” to help us.)

Broader than just Trump's personal failings, the author also talks of the unstable government the president has created for himself, by comparison to previous presidents who had experienced staff members to rely on when unexpected international crises emerged.

Quote:
As old advisers and officials fall by the wayside—exhausted, disgraced, or both—the new ones will be more likely to accommodate a man they have known chiefly as “Mr. President” and whose favor has required self-abasement.

[...]

Behind each of those men were hundreds of experts and practitioners who had thought hard about the world, and had experience steering the external relations of the Great Republic.

But most of all, the article finishes with a mindset I can fully understand, as I experience it every time I check the news.

Quote:
Hearing him bully and brag, boast and bluster, threaten and lie, one feels a kind of dizziness, a sensation that underneath the throbbing pulse of routine scandal lies the potential for much worse. The kind of sensation, in fact, that accompanies dangerously high blood pressure, just before a sudden, excruciating pain.

Posted: Friday, September 22, 2017 8:10:45 AM
tunaafi wrote:

I have no opinions about Melania. The suggestion that in walking like a lady, dressing elegantly , and speaking demurely she should be a model for all women is antediluvian.

Women should be pretty and quiet. That's exactly the kind of gender expectation that was described in the study I mentioned here.
Topic: "It begins at 10"
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2017 9:56:26 AM
From what I can tell, the study doesn't claim the differences only start at 10 years old, but rather that that age is when the impact of gender expectations really gets absorbed into a person's behaviour. As the abstract mentions:

Quote:
The period of adolescence (ages 10–19 years) is one of the most critical periods of human development as the health and well-being at this age influences health trajectories with lifelong consequences. While considered among the healthiest period of the lifespan, the period of early adolescence (ages 10–14 years) is also a transitional period in which many health behaviors are acquired
Topic: "It begins at 10"
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2017 8:53:45 AM
I came across an article in the news today that referenced a recent study published in the Journal of Adolescent Health. Researchers interviewed adolescents (and their parents/guardians) from various countries in the world about the gender expectations that influence their lives. Despite the different cultures, there were many cross-culture similarities such as the belief that men are strong and independent, and women are weak and dependent. That men are predators and women are victims.

As the title implies, the impact of gender expectations begins at age 10 and the lessons learned during adolescence carry lifelong consequences. It results in mindsets that are hard to shake as people struggle to conform and judge each other for not conforming.

This is an issue I have always found interesting, as it shows how subtle and hard to overcome society's influence can be. How many men can wear a skirt (not a kilt) or decide to dance as a hobby or profession without being ridiculed (in jest or for real)? How many men are believed if they say their wife/girlfriend abuses them? How many women make strategic dress-choices to avoid being harassed on the street or at work? How many women don't go into STEM subjects because numbers are seen as a guy-thing?

The link I provided contains a short summary of the study and a link to download the pdf of the study.
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2017 7:39:20 AM
For someone so keen on informing, TheParser gives information sparingly. For those interested, the answer to TheParser's little hangman game is "poison" and the Mr. B. he is referring to is Anthony Bourdain.

TheParser also doesn't mention that this would be for the meal served to both Trump and Kim Jong Un. It seems he doesn't mind jokes about poisoning the North Korean leader's food.
Topic: Trump thinks the Internet needs to be shut down, and Scotland Yard is incompetent.
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2017 4:33:45 AM
It seems using dates is about as unreliable for clarity as referring to "certain individuals".

Perhaps TheParser should once more rely on that age-old invention of names to refer to people?
Topic: Pardon Me, Mr. President.
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 3:04:46 AM
Buzzito wrote:
Say you are waiting for a life-saving transplant organ, and here I come along and get it first because of something I do, someone I know .... would that BE FAIR?

How about the president starts close to home? His wife didn't keep to her original visa terms and illegally earned money before earning a work visa. How is that for cutting in line and gaining an advantage because of someone she knows.
Topic: Add Your Words to the List of "Words to Retire - 2017"
Posted: Monday, September 11, 2017 2:38:52 AM
- sheeple
- friendzone
Topic: What does "Politically Correct" mean? (for fair-minded readers)
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2017 8:12:22 AM
TheParser wrote:

a. The new government will change the rules so that males -- and not only females -- are treated equally in such cases.

Slight contradiction in terms there.
Topic: Prayer for my Childhood friend.
Posted: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 1:18:13 PM
jacobusmaximus wrote:
tunaafi, you are quick to deny God yet blame Him for on-going illness and suffering. You are so mixed up. It is man's inhumanity to man that causes so much suffering. People die of thirst when man has so much water he is drowning in it. People die of hunger when there is an abundance of food in the world. The justice and mercy of God is to supply all that we need. Mankind denies justice and mercy by not sharing the blessings of God.

If I read Tunaafi's posts correctly, he is talking about a mythical deity (in all three paragraphs). He doesn't believe in god so he's not blaming it for causing anything. He's merely reflecting your narrative and applying his logic to it.

I would also like to express my wishes that Ashwin Joshi's friend can spend the time s/he has surrounded by those who love him/her

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.