User Name: Lotje1000
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 711
[0.09% of all post / 0.81 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Why and When Did Politically Correct Become Incorrect?
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 2:57:39 AM
Listening . . . wrote:
I am against the idea of policing the language that anyone uses and I am against softening the language to the point that it is so sterilized we don’t even recognize what it being communicated.

By being against softening language, you're actually policing the language some people choose to use.

Listening . . . wrote:
I won’t ever, however, begin to dictate the words someone has to use.

Except those people who soften the language, apparently.

Listening . . . wrote:
I just don’t want someone dictating words I am no longer allowed to use or, more clearly, claiming I am “bad” if I use certain words.

But you're claiming others are bad for softening the language.

Listening . . . wrote:
I am almost always described as a kind, caring person by the people around me. I imagine that is a direct result of how I treat people and the words I choose to use. We should be kind and use kinder words because we are kind not because the choice of words is limited.

So essentially, you treat people kindly. Which is what PC is all about. It's just that your definition of being kind might not match someone else's. And PC is about learning those things.

Listening . . . wrote:
I find it ironic that of all the commenters on this thread, the ones who support political correctness found it ok to use less than kind words to describe those who don’t support the idea. Strange.

I've gone through the thread and didn't spot any unkindness.

Listening . . . wrote:
And, if you believe the idea of political correctness only applies when you are speaking about a group, you are wrong.

You clearly missed Hope's definition. You're free to redefine it to your liking, but that won't help anyone in seeing eye to eye in this discussion. The point of definitions is that we start from some common ground and know what we're all talking about.

Listening . . . wrote:
The universities are teaching the students acceptable ways to think, to speak, to act.

Universities have always taught students how to act. Any educational institution teaches people ways to think, speak and act and always has. Even within educational institutions there can be variations as each professor/teacher has different expectations and standards. Then it's up to the students to learn how they can behave with each of their educators. This is how people learn to be kind. This is how we learn to adapt. Similarly, PC is about being mindful of different groups and their notion of acceptable behaviour.

Listening . . . wrote:
I completely disagree with the second part, however, that says “the message behind such terms is generally that certain parts of humanity are inferior to others.”

So "terms like coon, faggot and cripple" are not meant to imply that "certain parts of humanity are inferior to others"?

Listening . . . wrote:
they have a place in history and if we are recounting the events of history, those words are completely appropriate. Without them, we lose the message of what happened. At the rate political correctness is going, these words will not be tolerated in any capacity and then…?? History will be rewritten so as not to offend those that may be affected by the message.

You are rewriting the definition and goals of PC. Political correctness is not about rewriting history. Quite the opposite, it draws on history to show that those words can be harmful.
Topic: Candidate Trump & the Russians (for fair-minded readers)
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 10:09:07 AM
To save TheParser and everyone else (fair-minded or not) some time, the TL;DR version is as follows:

TheParser wrote:
Dear Fair-Minded Readers:

IF (repeat: "if") you are interested in this topic, you are probably looking for a calm and rational (intelligent) explanation.

a. Be very careful about what you hear in the media and read in Internet forums.

Have a nice day!

Topic: The use of SIR and MA'AM
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2017 4:50:54 AM
almo 1 wrote:

Perplexing or hilarious:

forum.thefreedictionary.com/

What do your nose rings have to do with anything?
Topic: Is Donald J. Trump a Master Wizard? (for fair-minded readers)
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2017 3:01:15 AM
TheParser wrote:
My source defines a "Master Wizard" as an expert in "hypnosis and persuasion."

Perhaps Trump should have become an expert in politics instead. His hypnosis and persuasion don't seem to help him get his travel ban, wall or Trumpcare accepted.
Topic: Canada's liberalism triumphant
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2017 2:46:44 AM
It is worth repeating:

Hope123 wrote:
I am not sure of the "bent" of the Original Poster, but it seems he is doing the very thing he is accusing liberals of doing - using one example to prove and pass judgment that "liberals will use any means to impose their values". And to imply that therefore conservatives and all other persuasions do not engage in political correctness themselves.
Topic: Congratulations, Fair-Minded Readers!
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2017 5:44:19 AM
At the start of the year, TFD also posted the quote

Quote:
If Heaven had looked upon riches to be a valuable thing, it would not have given them to such a scoundrel.

Whistle
Topic: Random Sentence Game
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 11:32:24 AM
Many A Roving Intellectual Expected Constant Understanding Regarding International Espionage

R A D I O A C T I V I T Y
Topic: Haiku Fun
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 11:29:39 AM
Start acting like one
Stop acting like the other
Be like everyone
Topic: Word Chains
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 11:28:37 AM
sight reading
Topic: Why and When Did Politically Correct Become Incorrect?
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 8:54:39 AM
Listening . . . wrote:
If my doctor sits me down and says, "You've had a temporary loss of vital fluid to your encephalon which will have far reaching effects including the inability to hold your saliva with complete confidence" ...I would much rather he just say I had a stroke.

I agree with Progpen, that's not PC, that's a euphemism or a complete misunderstanding on how to adequately inform patients. If you check Hope's definition again, you'll see it's about not offending a group of people.

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
There must be a difference between being polite and thoughtful and being "politically correct" - or there would not be a new term for it.

Being polite is thinking of the other person, not saying anything which is hurtful or likely to be - good manners.

Political Correctness is complying to some arbitrary rules which seem to change (usually more stringent each time).

There is a difference. Hope already defined what PC is and I provided a further distinction where politeness is general and PC is towards a specific group of people. Furthermore, I agree that PC is complying to some arbitrary rules, but arguably, so is politeness. What is polite and not can differ widely between cultures, groups of people within a culture and over the course of time.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.