Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,088
[0.11% of all post / 0.58 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Jack is a friend of Brian('s).
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 9:29:19 AM
#2 is a double genitive/possessive and considered common usage according to TFD.

Quote:
Usage Note: The "double genitive" construction, in which a possessive form appears as the object of the preposition of, as in a friend of my father's or a book of mine, is looked down on by some grammarians and usage critics. But this construction has been used in English since the 1300s and serves a useful purpose. It can help sort out ambiguous phrases [...]. There are also cases in which the double genitive may be more elegant.

Topic: dire straits
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 9:04:35 AM
I can't say I know much about Holland, the Netherlands or Dutch technology. I'll be sure to put the museum on my list if I ever visit Amsterdam.
Topic: dire straits
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 8:43:35 AM
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:
Another new thing I've learnt from you is that the poker hand is in fact called straight. This makes sense to me. For some reason among Russian players it is pronounced close to the English word "street". I've always wondered what street might have to do with it.

In Dutch, the Straight in poker is called Straat (street). I checked the etymology but there was very little to be found so it's probably just the closest sounding equivalent to Straight.
Topic: FYI- A geopolitical earthquake has shaken US leadership in the world — Russia and China stand to ben
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2019 3:17:31 AM
LogicDefined wrote:
They are hoping no one is paying attention, that the American people are too stupid, lazy, indifferent, and apathetic to pay attention. Don’t be one of those Americans. For goodness sake wake up and start actually thinking again instead of letting the media tell you what and when to be outraged about. Good grief what has happened to critical thinking?? Do most people even know they are merely pawns?

Words to live by. These days too many facts are drowned out by empty slogans ("Make America great again") and chants ("Lock her up!") or newsreports that only focus on the select few points of outrage that support their position. There's too much aggression and fear-mongering designed to rile people up so they can't focus on facts.
Topic: till Kingdom Come
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2019 2:20:45 AM
jacobusmaximus wrote:
Lotje1000 wrote:
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:
I am sorry, I didn't know "may" made it sound any differently. I thought with "may" it was just a more modern way of saying the same thing.

At the very least, Wiki and A biography of the English language agrees with your use of "may". I've also found a source where instead it is "Let your kingdom come", which, in any case, still expresses a wish.

I suppose it depends on what a person believes. Let your Kingdom come, or may your kingdom come in my time, or soon, or before another war breaks out - whatever. But God's Kingdom will come and there is still no 'may' about it.

If we were in the religion subforum, I would be happy to talk more about beliefs. But we're in the vocabulary subforum, so "till Kingdom Come" is an expression that references the Lord's prayer - "Thy kingdom come" (which is phrased as a subjunctive, expressing a wish).
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2019 6:33:56 AM
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:
I am sorry, I didn't know "may" made it sound any differently. I thought with "may" it was just a more modern way of saying the same thing.

At the very least, Wiki and A biography of the English language agrees with your use of "may". I've also found a source where instead it is "Let your kingdom come", which, in any case, still expresses a wish.
Topic: 'Why (do you) learn a language which, when you converse/communicate in it, gives...?'
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2019 2:47:45 AM
FounDit wrote:
A cooperator wrote:

By now, have I to understand that this ellipsis pattern for questions is only applied when the adverb of reason 'why' is used? Or it can be applied for any kind of questions, beginning with any other nominative pronouns(subjective pronouns ) or objective pronouns, such as what, which, etc.
If I had phrased my last statement "If I am using this pattern, will I be understood?" to read "Will understood if I am using this pattern?", would it have been correct?

No, that pattern does not work.

I would follow FounDit's advice to only use it for questions starting with 'why'. And I would add that it only works if the subject of both parts of the sentence is the same. Otherwise it can become confusing:

- "Why (would you) drive that way, if you knew you would be caught by the police?"
- "Why (would I) drive that way, if I knew I would be caught by the police?"
- "Why (would I) drive that way, if you knew you would be caught by the police?"
- "Why (would you) drive that way, if I knew I would be caught by the police?"

Listeners or readers will always assume both subjects match.
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 9:44:46 AM
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:
It is interesting that this is a work in progress, i.e. that Kingdom hasn't come to Earth yet.

Depends on who you listen to, I suppose. A man at my bus stop was rather insistent that the Kingdom of God was already present on earth today.
Topic: FYI- A geopolitical earthquake has shaken US leadership in the world — Russia and China stand to ben
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2019 3:44:02 AM
LogicDefined wrote:
Kirill Vorobyov wrote:
Lotje1000 wrote:
I have yet to see any proof that all media are agreeing to work together on "hating Trump".

I bet you're not the only one looking for that proof Dancing

Maybe this will help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN9KAFn1hy8 Enjoy!

Did you know you keep increasing your font size? I can guarantee you we read the standard font size just fine.
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2019 7:35:57 AM
The main definitions:

Quote:
con·spir·a·cy (kən-spîr′ə-sē)
n. pl. con·spir·a·cies
1. An agreement to perform together an illegal, wrongful, or subversive act.
2. A group of conspirators.
3. Law An agreement between two or more persons to commit a crime or accomplish a legal purpose through illegal action.
4. A joining or acting together, as if by sinister design: a conspiracy of wind and tide that devastated coastal areas.

Now, lots of people disliking Trump, his policies, his approach to diplomacy and all things he stands for aren't an "Agreement to perform together an illegal, wrongful or subversive act". You could say it can be perceived as "a joining or acting together, as if by sinister design", but then that's an opinion/interpretation, hardly a certainty.

Perhaps you could argue that the media expressing an opinion could be seen as a subversive act, but I have yet to see any proof that all media are agreeing to work together on "hating Trump". All I have seen is media saying they are doing what journalists are supposed to do: report truthfully on what is happening. And what they report, just so happen to be things that a lot of people don't like.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.