Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 920
[0.10% of all post / 0.72 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Happy Easter!
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2018 5:05:45 AM
jacobusmaximus wrote:
They do, however, tend to trample on what might be of value to others.

In that sense, they're no different from people.
Topic: Happy Easter!
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2018 2:49:21 AM
will wrote:

But thank you for wallowing in the mud and pig shit with me and at least attempting to offer a reasoned explanation... very Christian of you Angel

Don't feel too bad, Will. Pigs are actually highly intelligent creatures. As for pearls? They're grown when a mollusk encounters an irritant in its shell, like a parasite. In order to deal with the irritant, they form a pearl sac around it which secretes layers that envelop the irritant - thus forming a pearl. Feeling cheeky, I'd say it's a rather apt metaphor for religion, really. A defense mechanism against an irritant you can't get rid of, so you grow a pretty layer around it.
Topic: Top 10
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2018 2:35:26 AM
Hi biba

I watched Lee Daniel's The Butler not too long ago and I definitely recommend it. I feel it manages to let you view the world through a variety of perspectives, some you might not have considered, and it does so without judgment. You might not agree with everyone's opinions but you do understand where they're all coming from.

I know you asked for movie recommendations, but if you enjoy watching The Queen, then I recommend you try the series The Crown.
Topic: Did the answer cut it ?
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 5:43:04 AM
To quote the TFD entry for "Cut":

Quote:
cut it Informal
To perform up to expectations or a required standard; be acceptable.

So it's an idiom and in essence the phrase means: "Was this an acceptable answer to the question?"
Topic: We are doomed
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:57:05 AM
pedro wrote:
I am doomed as You are doomed as They are doomed and We are doomed together.

But are we the walrus?

(goo goo g'joob)
Topic: International Women's Day
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2018 3:21:18 AM
Honestly, "Fans prefer to watch men doing X" has been a hoax reason for a lot of inequality. They say that about male actors, male protagonists in video games, sports and undoubtedly countless more domains. Back in the day, I'm sure backers and supporters had to fight to get a team to play (which would have featured all men) and people to show up. And they did it and it got a reputation for being fun. But now everyone thinks that this is the only way things can be?

People tried putting female superheroes into movies, like in Cat Woman with Halle Berry. And then when that movie bombed, they took it as a sign that people didn't like female protagonists, rather than, y'know, people not liking terrible movies. It took a while, but they brought out Wonder Woman, for instance, and the world didn't end. Today, there are more and more video games where you can choose the gender of the protagonist or only play a female protagonist, the world didn't end. They made good money from those games too.

People don't prefer to watch men do stuff. People prefer to watch stuff a lot of hype has been made around.
Topic: Donald J.Trump: Tough Guy Extraordinaire!
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 4:30:11 AM
I find it ironic that Trump now wants to give guns to teachers, but only if those teachers are "gun adept teachers with military or special training experience - only the best". But he doesn't require those criteria for average people who want to own guns.

Also, to put it crudely, why do some pro-gun people now hail this as an amazing solution when anti-gun people have been asking for these kinds of criteria for gun ownership for ages now?
Topic: pooh-pooh
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 2:35:54 AM
General Melchett:
Is this true, Blackadder? Did Captain Darling pooh-pooh you?

Captain Blackadder:
Well, perhaps a little.

General Melchett:
Well, then, damn it all! What more evidence do you need? The pooh-poohing alone is a court martial offense!

Captain Blackadder:
I can assure you, sir, that the pooh-poohing was purely circumstantial.

General Melchett:
Well, I hope so, Blackadder. You know, if there's one thing I've learnt from being in the Army, it's never ignore a pooh-pooh. I knew a Major, who got pooh-poohed, made the mistake of ignoring the pooh-pooh. He pooh-poohed it! Fatal error! 'Cos it turned out all along that the soldier who pooh-poohed him had been pooh-poohing a lot of other officers who pooh-poohed their pooh-poohs. In the end, we had to disband the regiment. Morale totally destroyed... by pooh-pooh!

Source
Topic: (The) English (Countable and Uncountable Nouns)
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 12:34:13 PM
A cooperator wrote:

I need an answer of my question. If you are going to go further, you should be neutral at least. You only see that only I am rude. However, you don't understand what made me be rudely replying.
I am, myself, been insulted, offended, and some servants like "Koh" interfered in my threads only as so to defend her lover. Was it supposed to still be silent? Imagine being offended and some offender's servants interfered to only also defend an offender, what would you have done.

I have given you an answer to your questions in an earlier post, as you asked. I hope you will stop these hostile posts now. Also, you are asking people to be neutral, but you are far from setting the right example here. You may not have cast the first stone, but you are the one who keeps it going, post after post. No one is going to apologize for anything now that you are repeatedly insulting them like that.
Topic: (The) English (Countable and Uncountable Nouns)
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2018 10:44:22 AM
A cooperator wrote:

Please, answer me, this creature called as Koh Eliane, the Fy's servant.
Why the hell was she interfering in my thread and defending for Fy?
Has that old, old, old man been her own lover, to whom she have been giving her body away before marriage, in return he will answer her questions here?

Alright, I will answer you:

"Why the hell was she interfering in my thread and defending for Fy?"
Answer: I don't know, you should ask Koh Elaine that. But I doubt you'll get a response given the hostile and offensive nature of your question.

"Has that old, old, old man been her own lover, to whom she have been giving her body away before marriage, in return he will answer her questions here?"
Answer: Who Koh Elaine gives their body to is none of your business. Their reasons are none of their business. And whether or not any bodies are given to anyone (before or after marriage) has nothing to do with grammar or grammar forums. You are stooping to GamerGate levels of misogynistic hostility.

Also, your threat of hijacking other threads until your selfish needs are met, will not make people more open to helping you out.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.