Last 10 Posts
Topic: Whistleblower Report
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 2:18:01 PM
"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent." - Qui-Gon Jinn
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 2:41:54 AM
Today's examples of the "Tu quoque" fallacy:

FounDit wrote:
Insults are violence? In that case, Trump has been assaulted thousands of times more than he has done to others. And if saying nasty things are violence, then all of you here are guilty of it also.
Only [Trump's] words matter? Others can say horrible things and that's okay with you? Uh, huh.
I would be happy to do so but [Hillary] needs to answer for so much corruption that she has engaged in, that it wouldn't be proper to let her slide on that.
Topic: Mathew tells about Jesus
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 6:09:18 AM
I'm getting keepyy, keepyyy and ruddyy flashbacks.
Topic: fair tousled hair [what does the expression 'fair + determiner/adjective, etc' mean]
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 5:32:41 AM
fair 1 (fâr)
adj. fair·er, fair·est
1. Of pleasing appearance, especially because of a pure or fresh quality; comely.
a. Light in color, especially blond: fair hair.

From TFD

So it's light-coloured hair that is also tousled.
Like ARMECH said, if "fair" modified "tousled", it would have been "fairly"
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 2:56:45 AM
"Your focus determines your reality"
- Qui-gon Jinn
Posted: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 2:44:10 AM
"So this is how liberty dies... with thunderous applause."

- Padmé Amidala
Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2019 1:52:14 AM
“Who is more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?”

― Obi Wan Kenobi
Topic: man & woman
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 6:17:08 AM
Oh Srirr, we'd only just closed that can of worms. Not sure why it needed reopening.
Topic: man & woman
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2019 5:00:12 AM
zhonglc2020 wrote:
Hello all,

1. Can man be free if woman is a slave?
This is a sentence from my grammar book.

What about "2. Can men be free if women are slaves?"

I am familar with #2, but not #1.
Does #1 have a special savor?

Thank you!

The first sentence, to me, has an extra layer of meaning because it plays with the interpretation of "man": Can mankind/men be free if womankind is a slave. It asks both questions at once and makes you reflect on how you interpret Man/mankind/society etc.

The second sentence does not have that extra layer, it seems to be a more straightforward question.
Topic: Is England Still Part of Europe?
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 3:51:04 AM
FounDit wrote:
Once again, thanks for starting my day off with a reason to LMAO.

This is just too good! Let's examine for a moment what Romany said in her post, which you apparently agree with. You both agree that because a source is judged to be biased (in your opinion), this renders both of you incapable of providing "intelligent thinking" or "some cogent thinking on the matter."

Is this really what you want everyone to believe about you two, that logic and reason are unavailable to you if someone else is biased? Really?

Such illogical thought processes astound me. But then, after reading Romany's post right behind yours, which accuses me of childish behavior, I perceive that once emotion takes control, logical thinking does seem to suffer greatly.

It's interesting how "You deliberately misread what Romany says" becomes "I agree with Romany's assessment." in your mind. Still, it's nice to see how consistently you keep misrepresenting people's posts as long as they say something you think you disagree with.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.