Profile: Olen Jigomas
About
User Name: Olen Jigomas
Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 2
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Am I using "whether" and other words correctly in these sentences?
Posted: Sunday, February 1, 2015 1:31:04 AM
1. I do not ( or "don't" is fine too) know whether it will rain tomorrow ("or not" could after "tomorrow".

or

1b. I am (or "I'm") not sure whether it will rain tomorrow or not.

(("Don't", "wouldn't" and "couldn't" are contractions of "do", "would" and "could" with "not".

Contractions are more frequent in speech than writing.

Contractions are more frequent in informal than formal contexts.

It's not always the case that you can replace "don't" or "can't" etc. with "do not" or "cannot" directly; e.g. "Why can’t I?" Here "why can't I?" would not sound right if you said "why cannot I?" the same with "why don't you?" would not sound right if you said "why do not you?"))

2. A boy set off the fire alarm (commas denote a slight pause in the sentence so it isn't needed here.) causing everyone to evacuate the school, (a comma would fit better here) I do not (don't) know (or you could say "I am (I'm) not sure")whether (or just "if")it's a genuine alarm or a practical joke.

"set off the fire alarm" as opposed to "sets off". You could also say "A boy sounded the fire alarm", "The fire alarm" rather than "a fire alarm" because even though there are many switches throughout the school they are one alarm.

1.I don't know whether it will rain tomorrow.

1b.I'm not sure whether it will rain tomorrow.

2.A boy set off the fire alarm causing everyone to evacuate the school, I don't know whether it's a genuine alarm or a practical joke.

2b.A boy set off the school fire alarm causing everyone to evacuate the premises, I'm not sure if it's a genuine alarm or not.

There are many ways to write these sentences and many different words that can be used.
Topic: A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is visible labour and there is invisible labour.
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2014 12:14:02 PM
srilalitha p wrote:
Alas there is no salary for invisible labour😂

I don't think you quite get what this means.
I think it's about the labour that is unseen as in the labour of the mathmatician, the scienist, the philosopher. To demonstrate what I mean, what's 2 + 2? The visible work is writing down the sum, but you could also work the sum out in your head, that is the invisible part. Invisible does not mean non existent, invisible means what cannot be seen.
[/color]