Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 539
[0.07% of all post / 0.91 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Had he lived, he would have turned 100
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 6:33:19 AM
coag wrote:
(CNN)-- Had he lived, John F. Kennedy would turn 100 years old on May 29. (my emphasis added)

I wonder why it is not:
Had he lived, John F. Kennedy would have turned 100 years old on May 29.

Both are correct. The original is called "the mixed conditional". You can find examples on this page:

http://www.englishpage.com/conditional/mixedconditional.html
Topic: I hope the colour does/will not come out
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:22:00 AM
I appreciate your replies.
Thank you.
Topic: When Referring to 'Many' Animals & People
Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 4:00:53 PM
NKM wrote:
Maybe it's about mooses?

I know this is wrong. In 2008 I was at the MTS Centre in Winnipeg when they played against Houston Aeros. The Moose won. :)

Topic: The Holy Qur'an Experiment
Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 2:33:29 PM
taurine wrote:
I am going to base my opinion on the positions expressed above, without resorting myself to watching the video.

You will not understand what it is about this way. I guess you do not want to plunge into this pool of shit so I'll take the trouble to explain what it was. Those pranksters put the Bible into a Quaran dust jacket and read excerpts from it to the public pretending it was The Holy Quaran.

taurine wrote:
2. Cherbin X1 then added after his research that words used in the video are from the Bible. I think that citations from the Bible usually take on a different form, with the name of the Apostle or the teacher for ease of reference, but who cares.

It's them who said they read from the Bible. I gave the link to the actual Bible and gave an exact quote from it.

taurine wrote:
- unusual if not unorthodox (what might have led an inquisitive mind into the conclusion that alphabet used by Cherbin X1 while writing his name is not the one used by population where Orthodoxy is a common feature of their life) method of citing from the Bible;

I do not deny that I am a staunch atheist. But this is not to say that I do not respect Christianity and the Bible. And I do not see what was that unorthodox in the mode of my citing. The site I pointed to is protestant but their work is impeccable.
Topic: The Holy Qur'an Experiment
Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 11:48:10 AM
Hope123 wrote:
3 and a half minutes

I asked Google to find the words from the video:

you will have to cut off her hand

Six pages of links pointing to the same prank. :(

Ok. I took to the Bible and this is what I have found:

https://www.blueletterbible.org/nkjv/deu/25

Quote:
Deuteronomy
25:11 If two men fight together, and the wife of one draws near to rescue her husband from the hand of the one attacking him, and puts out her hand and seizes him by the genitals,
25:12 then you shall cut off her hand; your eye shall not pity her.

There's nothing about cutting a woman's hand for trying to teach.

Beware of crafty Muslims, naïve woman, lest they inveigle you into perdition!
Topic: I promised the missus I'd be home by eleven.[What part of speech is 'home' here?]
Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 5:56:32 AM
A cooperator wrote:

Quote:
Definitions of home
adverb
to or at the place where one lives.
what time did he get home last night?

I am wondering here what part of speech 'home' is in the sentence below. I think it is a noun.

I promised the missus I'd be home by eleven.

An adverb here.

Quote:
So, I have thought that the sentence above could be rephrased as:

'I promised the missus I'd be at home by eleven." Where 'home' is a noun acting the object of the preposition 'at'.

A noun here.
Topic: I hope the colour does/will not come out
Posted: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 5:04:41 AM
They say that the present tense is preferable with "I hope" but when you look at the facts it's the other way around:

I hope it does not VS I hope it will not

My question is which would you personally choose?

Quote:
I hope the colour does/will not come out of this T-shirt when I wash it.
Topic: Manchester
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 5:58:11 PM
tunaafi wrote:
jacobusmaximus wrote:
I guess I should have said 'certain Muslims' . You all know that is true.

We know. It appeared from your first post that you didn't. The omission of 'certain' made your first post seem like an attack on all Muslims.

It is weird how you are balabouring this guy.

Quote:
Salman Abedi, a 22-year-old Mancunian man, who’s family is reportedly of Libyan origin, had been named as the prime suspect who detonated an improvised explosive device in a suicide mission in the foyer of the venue during an Ariana Grande concert.

Why doesn't it surprise me?
Topic: 'Personal titles' and 'job titles'
Posted: Monday, May 22, 2017 3:30:54 AM
srirr wrote:
Do you mean you tend to shorten or truncate all the first names?

'Billy' is considered diminutive here, while Bill is just short. We used to call our rector 'Massa Bill'. It was never used to address him in the first person but even though it was behind his back we would never call him 'Billy'.
Topic: 'Personal titles' and 'job titles'
Posted: Monday, May 22, 2017 1:58:03 AM
srirr wrote:
What Romany mentioned about 'Master' is correct. We use it for young males, like Master Billy.

Here in Russia we still use Massa. And it's always 'Massa Bill' - never Billy.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.