Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 720
[0.09% of all post / 1.11 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: British trying to yank some gold from Iceland
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 1:14:10 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4722174/British-treasure-hunters-100million-Nazi-gold.html

Quote:
A group of British treasure hunters have found a chest that could contain up to £100 million in Nazi gold in the wreck of a German cargo ship off the coast of Iceland.

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
Topic: Is religion the opium of the people?
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 12:41:32 PM
Hope123 wrote:
Of course, it's easier to blame the government or God or another culture, or gender, or religion etc. when something goes wrong. Then you don't have to try to do anything about it.

Maybe that is part of what he meant by opiate of the people. Get them to just blame God for unfavorable conditions.

Let us look from a different perspective. There's nobody to drown us in another Deluge. There's nobody to treat us as puppets like He did to Abraham when commanded him to sacrifice his own child. There's nobody to say "Did I say I would give you this land? I lied!". Whenever you find yourself in a tight corner you know it is not a retribution for any kind of your misdeed not a joke by the Almighty - it's just another slough you have to extricate yourself from. Isn't this soothing?

Probably you have never got into something like that but believe me sometimes it's so weird that you are on the brink of believing it's Someone.

Topic: Diplomacy, n.: The patriotic art of lying for one's country.
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 11:19:21 AM
TheParser wrote:
I have lost the quotation, but I remember once reading that some diplomats (only in the bad old days?) felt it their patriotic duty to occasionally lie ( = sleep) with certain people in order to get valuable information for their governments.

Those are not diplomats but spies disguised as ones.

Topic: Is religion the opium of the people?
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 10:50:29 AM
leonAzul wrote:
Are you sure you are not a red neck?

No. :) I've never been to the US.

Quote:
Yet that is really besides the point of this topic, which is: What did Marx mean by "[religion] is the opium of the people", and does it make sense?

Yes we digressed a bit. As of your question:

Hope123 wrote:
If you look at the whole context in Marx’s critique of Hegel, used figuratively an opiate means something that calms or soothes.

I think exactly like Hope123 does. Furthermore I do not consider my atheism any less opiate.

Topic: the idiot
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 8:47:06 AM
leonAzul wrote:
That's the point. By the use of the definite article, more is suggested than what is literally stated.

Thank you!

Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 8:10:36 AM
thar wrote:
A more grammatical explanation - it is not a complete sentence.
[...]
There was an idiot here, and he was that idiot. He was the idiot.

Again I do not quite get it. Are you saying I need to append all of this before that simple "the idiot"?

Here's another example. Check the last post by will (July 22, 2017 8:10:40 AM GMT) in this thread:

http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst173508_Is-religion-the-opium-of-the-people-.aspx

Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 8:10:07 AM
leonAzul wrote:
One way to interpret this is that the speaker recognizes that he himself is the "ignorant one" [...], and not the persons who are attacking him.

There's nothing about him thinking they were idiots.

leonAzul wrote:
In everyday English, "an idiot" is someone who is foolish, or not completely aware of what is going on around them. [...] The change in article indicates that a more particular meaning is intended.

I do not quite understand this. How do I guess what particular meaning should be applied?

Topic: fate
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 7:37:29 AM
nani_n wrote:
hi everyone. I have a question but maybe it sounds odd.

when (at what age) in your country people find their ways and fate?

Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 7:29:19 AM
A Fountain Filled With Blood, by Julia Spencer-Fleming

Quote:
Another thump, more crunching, several whoops almost drowning out the stifling beat of the bass. Dvorak's hand froze on the door handle. The idiot. He was the idiot.

Why is it not 'an idiot'?

Topic: I am a not looking scabs doctor
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2017 4:20:09 AM
FounDit wrote:
But to use your sentence, "I'm not a scabies doctor", would mean "I don't know how to treat this infection".

That wasn't my sentence. :)
Anyway thanks for the comments.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.