Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 2
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Timor Santa Cruz Massacre Day
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 9:29:47 AM
As NeuroticHellFem pointed out, this is indeed celebrated as a national public holiday in East Timor (Timor-Leste).

http://www.easttimorgovernment.com/publicholidays.htm

As it's worded in the link above: "East Timor now has public holidays that commemorate historic events in the liberation struggle, as well as those associated with the Catholic faith."

I apologise if this did not come across in the post today and if it caused any offence, especially after Sunday's blunder. Our intention is purely to highlight the memorial aspect of such days, and indeed many public holidays around the world stem from the commemoration of particularly tragic events in countries' histories. As I mentioned in the Kristallnacht thread yesterday, I am currently working to improve the content database for Today's Holiday to avoid such things in the future; unfortunately today's post, which perhaps could have been titled or worded better, slipped through because of how soon it appeared afterward.

Thank you again for your continued feedback.

-Peter H
Topic: Kristallnacht
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2014 7:35:14 AM
Hello everyone,

I am an Assistant Editor for Farlex and it was my job to compile the database for the "Today's Holiday" entries.

Please let me first say that I sincerely apologise for any offence that this post may have caused. My intention was absolutely the memorial aspect of the day, and I certainly did not mean to suggest that it is in any way a cause for celebration. In trying to diversify the content for "Today's Holiday", I chose to include some days from countries around the world that memorialise tragic events, but I should have used better judgement as to how it would be perceived on a daily holiday newsfeed. I can see now how a post of this nature might come across as a celebration of horrific events, which certainly not appropriate as a "holiday" and is not what we intended to convey.

Again, I'm very sorry for the decision I made in this instance, and I will work to ensure all "Today's Holiday" entries are appropriate in content and context moving forward.

Thank you all very much for your feedback.

- Peter H

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.