Statistics
Number of Posts: 60
[0.01% of all post / 0.04 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: How should I say this..
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2015 2:56:03 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Hello Aaron!

You have made two mistakes. One is the word 'on' - English has unexplained rules - mainly about the smallest words!
The other is 'mathematical' - "next November" is November 2015, so "the November after next" is November 2016.

I sat an exam in November 2013.
I sat the exam the November before last.
("I sat the exam in the November before last." is also grammatically correct, but is not used.)
I will sit the exam in November 2016.
I will sit the exam the November after next.

I do not know if there is any 'logic', but 'on' is used for a specific day, and 'in' is used for any longer period.

I did the exam on the nineteenth of November 2013.
I did the exam in November 2013.
I did the exam in 2013.
I did my school exams in the twentieth century.

A specific time uses 'at':
I did the exam at ten-o'-clock last Monday.

Hi dragonspeaker, thanks you, I really like your explanation. Every time you can make me much more clear about my problems. I think you have the quality of an excellent language teacher, haha. Thanks again
Topic: How should I say this..
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2015 11:38:27 PM
Hi,
If I sat an exam on November 2013, how should I say it in a more general way.
Is it correct to say, " I did the exam on November befor last?
By the same token, if the exam is on November 2017, can I say,"I am sitting an exam on Nov after next?

Topic: about greeting
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2015 3:43:43 AM
Sorry for the late thanks to all the information.
Much appreciated for your help:)
Topic: about greeting
Posted: Monday, February 9, 2015 8:40:56 PM
hi
I am meeting my friend and his parents who are from England. I am not sure how should I address a senior person politely when I fisrt meet them. can any one help to give me some suggetions?

In chinese tradition, we would address a senior person "uncle or aunt" as a polite way of greeting.
For example, if my friend's surname is Zhang, I'd say to his father "Nice to meet you Uncle Zhang"
I am sure this is inapproprate in english.
So can anyone advise me the correct way in this situation? Thanks

I'd apprectiate if you could give me more choices
Topic: Casket v.s coffin
Posted: Friday, January 2, 2015 6:13:59 AM
Kurt Brungraber wrote:
Hi Aaron,

Since you are from China, and have replies from users in the UK, Argentina, and Thailand. Omar from Argentina is probably the most accurate so far in terms of genuine history and etymology. See also:
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/12/the-difference-between-a-coffin-and-a-casket/.

The prevailing (if erroneous) view in the United States is that:

* A casket is an older style, elongated six-sided box for human burial, often made of wood (a la Dracula, Boot Hill Westerns, and haunted houses).
* A coffin is a larger, four-sided box for human burial, often made of metal and lined with cushioning so that the living will believe that the deceased is "resting more comfortably."

This concept is true to the history of the United States of America (Americans don't recognize history much before 1776) and serves our funeral industry very well:

* http://fcpr.fsu.edu/funeral/modules/management/productInfo/casketsVScoffins.htm
* http://www.nosek-mccreery.com/Casket_vs._Coffin.html

Just thought you'd be interested -- not in how correct the USA is on this topic, but how consistently myopic we are on all topics global. Sorry.

Thanks Kurt Brungraber, much appreciated this detailed explaination
Posted: Friday, January 2, 2015 6:11:24 AM
Romany wrote:
However, do keep in mind your audience: if you are talking/writing to BE speakers it would sound extremely strange to say 'casket' when talking about the box in which corpses are laid. We would imagine a small, but very pretty little box (like a jewellery box) and would be puzzled how a whole person could fit in one of those!!

For example: the sentence above: "04b.- North American: the casket of a soldier who had died fighting". To a BE speaker that would suggest a small box which held the soldiers private possessions (like letters from parents or spouse, and keepsakes): - a very different idea to what a North American would mean by that sentence.

Thanks Romany, I have been clearer of how to use these words correctlyApplause
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2014 2:34:22 AM
Got it, thanks to all
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2014 7:56:12 PM
Hi
These 2 words refer to the same object right? Do they have slightly difference in terms of feelings when using? I mean which one might sound nice or have negative feeling
Thanks
Topic: Polarised
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2014 11:21:38 AM
Many thanks, no wonder I find it hard to understand the 2nd one
Topic: Polarised
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2014 2:25:15 AM
Hi
I have checked up the word "polarised", and pretty sure it mean being devided in the following context(1), but not sure if it is right in 2.

Text 1
  King Juan Carlos of Spain once insisted “kings don’t abdicate, they dare in their sleep.” But embarrassing scandals and the popularity of the republican left in the recent Euro-elections have forced him to eat his words and stand down. So, does the Spanish crisis suggest that monarchy is seeing its last days? Does that mean the writing is on the wall for all European royals, with their magnificent uniforms and majestic lifestyle?
  The Spanish case provides arguments both for and against monarchy. When public opinion is particularly (1)polarised, as it was following the end of the Franco regime, monarchs can rise above “mere” politics and “embody” a spirit of national unity.
  It is this apparent transcendence of politics that explains monarchs’ continuing popularity (2) polarised.

Does that mean the opinion of monarchies' continuing popularity is devided among public?

Thanks,

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.