The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: OnTheVerge
About
User Name: OnTheVerge
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Cycling, Writing, Reading (N E Thing and Every Thing), Cooking, Trying new things, etc..etc..etc..
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 191
[0.02% of all post / 0.21 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: I'm out in the farmyard come rain, wind or storm.
Posted: Sunday, March 26, 2017 3:35:01 AM
You know who I am wrote:
bihunsedap wrote:
I'm out in the farmyard come rain, wind or storm.
But at night on my perch I feel happy and warm.

What does the first sentence mean?
The hen is outside the farmyard?
Why the hen is outside while there are rain, wind or storm?

Hello again.

I actually don't understand the sentence's meaning. I'll try my best to decipher it; however, I'm looking forward to seeing others answers.

In my belief, the author in his first sentence meant:
Quote:
I will be out of the farmyard, no matter what happens, no matter if it rains, winds or storms.

In the 2rd example, I must apologize to you, for I haven't managed to find any relationship between both sentences.

It is both and idiom and a metaphor similar to "Come hell or high water", Its meaning seems to be rooted in ones desire and determination to get something done, or taken care of, no matter what the cost (monetarily, physically or emotionally). In some parts of the world, the literal sense of the phrase also applies!

The second sentence is lost on me, it doesn't seem to make sense unless the comparison is being made to the farmer being warm while the stupid Hen is out in the bad weather!? Think

Men grow tired of sleep, love, drink, singing, and dancing sooner than war!
Topic: For Fair-minded readers: Were Donald Trump's offices wiretapped?
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 3:54:41 AM
Hope123 wrote:

Applause Drool Anxious Whistle Speak to the hand Applause Drool Anxious Whistle Applause

Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 12:16:07 PM
tunaafi wrote:
OnTheVerge wrote:
However, in America, one is innocent until proven guilty and the burden of proof lies with the accuser. With that in mind, the absence of evidence is evidence of absence by default if you are not then willing to supply evidence when requested.

Thanks. It appears that I misunderstood 'absence of evidence is evidence of absence'.

To be honest, I am not sure that I completely understand it now. Is it simply a way to say 'if no evidence has been produced (to support a claim, for example), this does not necessarily mean that there is no evidence; it means simply that no evidence has been produced?

Quote:
Do the laws in the Czech Republic reflect a different Standard?

As an immigrant (legal!) here, I cannot claim a deep knowledge of the Czech legal system.

Exactly, if no evidence has been produced (to support a claim or accusation), this does not necessarily mean that there is no evidence; it means simply that no evidence has been produced and therefore, by law, it is felonious to make claims or accusations without providing evidence! Evidence that congress, by the way, asked him to produce, or retract the statement. He has done neither!

He continues to blame everyone for the false accusations except the one responsible for them, himself!

Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 11:57:35 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

The Judicial branch does not even come under the President. Surely the President knows this - doesn't he?

In this case, perhaps not! Unfortunately, our current president seems to be under the misguided belief that all three branches of the government are his to command, no questions asked! Almost everything he has done has broken with decades of standard and protocol followed by every commander in chief since FDR.

This, coupled with the fact that he has absolutely no idea how government works, especially one as enormous as the USA, can ultimately lead to disastrous consequences for all!

He may have come in to break up business as usual, however, as any good businessman will tell you, one must know how the business works (in this case the US government) before one can effectively change it for the better.

Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 9:46:29 AM
tunaafi wrote:
palapaguy wrote:
Please take your politics to a proper forum.

This is the Politics forum.

Thanks Tunaafi, for both your response to me and in correcting palapaguy. However, in America, one is innocent until proven guilty and the burden of proof lies with the accuser. With that in mind, the absence of evidence is evidence of absence by default if you are not then willing to supply evidence when requested.

Do the laws in the Czech Republic reflect a different Standard? If so, in what way, it would be interesting to know?

Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 4:58:46 PM
Please be advised that in American law, "Absence of Evidence is most assuredly Evidence of Absence" !

While it is true that the media is not an American court of law and Twitter is not a legal brief, for a sitting president, in this case 45, to accuse his immediate predecessor, Barrack Obama, of a federal crime and, when asked, provides no evidence or proof of any kind, it is called slander and libel.

Slander and libel at this level are federal crimes and can have severe legal penalties. Not to mention the fact that it shows a severe lack of Honour, Integrity, and Sincerity to the citizens of the U.S. and to the World.

If you choose to believe what the likes of Mark Levin, Breitbart news and Fox's Andrew Napolitano have to say, that is your prerogative and your right. As a fair-minded reader and American though, I cannot, in good conscience, stand by and let the lies told by this man who calls himself president go unchallenged.

If you are a fair minded reader, then neither should you be able to!?

Topic: Refused to Resign; Fired by Trump. Plus 2005 Tax Return
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 7:52:44 AM
So do we all prog....so do we all! If this were any other POTUS they would have had impeachment proceedings already filed by Congress with the hopes of being able to charge said POTUS with, at the very least, high crimes and misdemeanors! If it was the current Congress and a Democrat POTUS they would be literally calling for his head by nowThink d'oh! Brick wall

BTW, before anyone starts thinking that I'm a bleeding liberal, I have a background in political science & sociology at SDSU. I am neither a liberal nor a conservative. I am in favour of sticking to the constitution and its core beliefs with an eye toward examining AND altering the amendments as necessary to keep abreast with the cultural, sociological, economical and technological advancements and digressions of the times we live in!

With a little luck, 45 will be out of office in time for the by-elections of 2018 Dancing Whistle Pray Drool

Topic: I got your backup up.
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 4:05:56 AM
What Andrew said, and.........another thing to remember about the word backup (Back-Up) is that it can be, and often is, used as a phrase to describe the copying of computer data to a server and/or a Cloud storage facility.

"Why don't you go home and I'll start the daily 'back-up' to OneDrive, DropBox, Mega, etc.....!"

Topic: Peter Theo Curtis : Western media coverage of the Syrian crisis is inadequate and biased.
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2017 3:54:30 AM

Yeah, So....Do you have a point or are you just taking up space?

Topic: Ms. Clinton's supporters are fantasizing about ...
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 3:27:43 AM
Dreamy

In response to your signature..."If he doesn't know everything then he isn't God" from Theo 101?!

Tell Trump that and see where it get's you Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.