Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 31
[0.00% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: impossible
Posted: Tuesday, April 9, 2019 1:43:57 AM
Reiko07 wrote:
It was impossible to save the hundreds of whales that were washed up on the beach.
(from a grammar book for Japanese learners of English)

Which of the following does this sentence imply?

(1) None of the whales was saved.

(2) Not all of the whales were saved.

Second option seems to be more appropriate.
Topic: Lucy is the/an ideal homemaker, which his former wife was not.
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 6:29:45 AM
Blodybeef wrote:
(1) is the ultimate homemaker, no one else does it better than her, the Marie Kondo.

(2) is good at homemaking, but there may be people better than her. She's not "the" best homemaker.

If his ultimate criterion for choosing a wife is homemaking, then he should prefer (1)

d'oh!

I agree.
Topic: Should there be a comma?
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2019 6:52:10 AM
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Couple of other minor corrections:

Mr Yeo himself shared about his relationship with the Cardinal Pell, which developed after Yeo was being invited by the Pope to participate the administration reform commission called the Council of Economic Affairs. Cardinal served as Secretary for Economy. Mr Yeo said, “I got to know him well and developed a deep respect for his sense of mission. His recent conviction and imprisonment filled me and many others with pain.”

Unless Cardinal Pell is mentioned before, here he should be named in the first place.
Added "Yeo was" to make it clear who was invited, Yeo or Pell.

Thank you JJ.
Topic: Difference between ruler and emperor
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2019 2:26:55 AM
Can we use the words ruler and emperor with same context?
Topic: Would use
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2019 12:17:55 PM
FounDit wrote:
Jigneshbharati wrote:
A multimeter is a handy tool that you use to measure electricity, just like you would use a ruler to measure distance, a stopwatch to measure time, or a scale to measure weight.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/references/how-to-use-a-multimeter

Please explain the use of "would" in the context as it has multiple uses (hypothetical, politeness, conditional etc).
Why the use of "will" is not appropriate in the context?

"would" is used because it conveys the idea of a possibility, or an example, in this case. The use of "will" means that these examples are the only means you use in measuring the things listed, whereas "would" shows it is possible, but not the only means. All of these things can be measured in different ways, with different tools.

So the idea is that a multimeter is used to measure electricity in the same way as you would (it is possible for you to use) a ruler to measure distance, etc..

Excellent explanation.
Topic: sleep early
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2019 11:27:27 AM
thar wrote:
The action is 'to get your child to sleep'. Ie get them into the state of being asleep. 'Sleep' is like the place or state you are getting them to. You want that to happen early in the evening, and not have them awake half the night.

So they don't 'sleep early'. That is not the connection.

They go to sleep early.

You get them to sleep early.

eg

Quote:

Sleep trouble isn’t just an adult problem; kids have trouble getting to sleep, too. And they usually keep their parents up with them! Bedtime can become a battle when little bodies don’t abide by the clock. Here are 10 tips to learn how to win the fight.

Quote:
How to get to sleep fast
Many people find themselves struggling to get to sleep fast, and there are certain populations who may be more likely to experience trouble getting to sleep: the older population and menopausal women, for example.

Really a studied answer. Thanks a lot.
Topic: what is wrong
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 11:13:58 AM
Ivan Fadeev wrote:
I am a bit stuck on the topic.
Are both possible?

What do you think a gift they will like is?
What do you think is a gift they will like?

Both are possible.
Topic: Do You Know That English Spellings Change?(60)
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 6:21:36 AM
Ashwin Joshi wrote:
Just look at

Shakespeare's Sonnet 138 in its original form:

When my love sweares that she is made of truth,
I do beleeve her, though I know she lyes,
That she might thinke me some untuterd youth,
Unlearned in the worlds false subtilties.

Tht's really new to me. Thanks.
Topic: Tense
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2019 11:18:54 AM
Niranjan L. Bhale wrote:
BobShilling wrote:
The presence simple suggests the job is regarded as permanent. The present continuous may suggest limited duration.

Tes, I do agree.

I mean 'yes'.
Topic: Tense
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2019 11:17:39 AM
BobShilling wrote:
The presence simple suggests the job is regarded as permanent. The present continuous may suggest limited duration.

Tes, I do agree.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.