Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 24
[0.00% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: shadowy face
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2015 11:48:27 AM
sureshot wrote:

The word "reflection" is generally associated with an image produced consequent to reflection of light. But, when the image is indistinct, faint or ill-defined, a more appropriate word is "shadowy". Glasses can be transparent. In some cases, they cause some reflection but not to the extent of a mirror. "Shadowy face" represents one such face/image of a face.

I hope this explanation helps you. It would be interesting to know your reaction to this meaning.

Thank you for your reply. I was gravitating towards that simpler meaning too. But it is a bit ambiguous, and sometimes we tend to overthink things :)

To the others: such replies discourage people from posting. Yes, I'm a "newcomer", so I'm in the wrong by default. Instead of getting help, I'm being judged.
I've been teaching English for 15 years. I'm also a professional translator. I'm translating a story and want to be accurate. I'm sorry I asked a question.
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2015 6:54:52 PM
IMcRout wrote:
It can be either.

That's why I'm asking for opinions.

IMcRout wrote:
What you call 'context' in reality only tells us very little about the situation in which this happens.

I "call" it context because that's all there is, thank you very much for being so nice. If you don't have anything of value to say, better not say anything.
Are you even a native speaker?
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2015 1:24:26 PM
Context: a man is looking at his reflection in a window, "at that shadowy face". Is the reflection shadowy because, well, it's a reflection, or is the man's face itself shadowy? Because it changes the meaning. So is "shadowy" here = indistinct or something else?
Thank you in advance for your replies.
Topic: strange sentence
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 4:31:15 PM
Nothing terrible about this sentence. It looks like an excerpt from a scientific report. Yes, the subject "they" is missing, I thought it was obvious, it's common in scientific articles, summaries and reports. The OP asked about the infinitive "to postulate", as I explained above it expresses purpose.
Topic: strange sentence
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 12:49:36 PM
It's an infinitive of purpose, meaning "Used and accurately applied their mental model of the world in order to postulate a physical explanation for findings"
Topic: A WikiLeaks document appears to show US plans to destabilize Syria back in 2006
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2015 10:32:59 AM
I'm not surprised. Not even a little bit.
People should realize the US is the most dangerous terrorist in the world.
Topic: Phonetic euphemism
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 5:12:38 PM
NKM wrote:
"Goddamned" has also given rise to "gosh-darn", "gol-darned" and "dog-gone", and "gee whiz!" stands in (very mildly) for "Jesus!"

But, as Thar says, the traditional avoidance of offensive and/or sacrilegious speech is less prevalent nowadays than in the past.
Times change, and conventions of propriety fall by the wayside.

Oh please, your political correctness have banned more words than ever. But for religious reasons - noooo, we're too cool for that Whistle
Topic: Phonetic euphemism
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 5:10:17 PM
Luker4 wrote:
"Phonetic euphemism is used to replace profanities, giving them the intensity of a mere interjection.

Shortening or "clipping" the term ("Jeez" for Jesus, "What the—" for "What the hell")"
WIKIPEDIA

Is that really said on purpose instead of "what the hell" Think

I always thought the speaker was too awed or surprised to finish the sentence Whistle

Of course euphemisms are used on purpose, all languages have them. Don't tell them there are no euphemisms in Polish Whistle
Topic: Muslim teen tried to make a bomb, arrested.
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 8:58:01 AM
Yeah, add more to the paranoia created by your government d'oh! the image of the enemy = muslim (to be more exact, one of the images of enemies of the so called "free world" By the way, I am not a Muslim). Write more lies, justify the wars, invading of other countries, total surveillance.
Topic: What is Karlsson-on-the-Roof's most famous quote?
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 6:47:43 AM
Herman, the German wrote:

May I say that all the books by Astrid Lindgren are a must read, even for slightly older kids.

Hear, hear :) I grew up with her books.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.