User Name: mactoria
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 394
[0.05% of all post / 0.40 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Robert Steele: CIA Director John Brennan plotted this false flag attacK with Senator John McCain
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 4:42:14 AM
Yarin wrote:
I remember someone said about the following letter:"it has no credibilty".But it turns out the opposite

Yarin: Richard H. Black's letter is real, but it represents his opinion only....his own party's leader in the Virginia state senate gibed him for writing it. Black is what is a right-winger or perhaps an "alt-right winger" who is a state senator (a state senator in Virginia represents a small district averaging about 210,000 persons and makes just $18,000/yr for part time work) who is relatively unknown outside that district. This letter to Assad is real evidently, but means little if anything about anything....so this obscure, out-of-the-mainstream state senator thanks Assad for one act??? Black is alone in his support for Assad, backed by no one in Congress, the Virginia state senate, and probably few if any of his own constituents. He's known for being on the wrong side of the Syrian matter in terms of American thinking about Assad's treatment of his own people.

One letter from an fringe small-time state senator means what in regard to Steele's assertion of the sarin attack being a "false flag" attack? Trying to make an equation between these two disparate things is evidence of loose, wacky thinking...the very thing that Steele, Jones, and the rest of conspiracy theorists all have in common.
Topic: What does " curing parts " mean?
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 2:11:51 AM
Aventador LP700-4 wrote:
I came across this phrase here:

Besides being time-intensive, the carbon-fiber manufacturing process is also an energy hog. The storage freezers and occasional blast with the hair dryer are minor compared to the autoclave, a pressurized oven used to cure finished parts. My particular hunk of hand-laid goodness will bake in the oven for six hours at nearly 400 degrees, all while under six times the normal atmospheric pressure.

What does it mean by curing parts?

Source:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/technology/a25131/carbon-fiber-miracle-material/

Aventador: "Curing parts" in this instance refers to the process of preserving or finishing a part. An autoclave is a type of oven that bakes things like utensils, medical instruments, or 'carbon-fiber' parts (like in this quote) in very high heat to sterilize them or harden them. Sounds like in this quote, the carbon-fiber part is put in an autoclave oven to harden it to its final/near-final version. Hope this explains it for you; check the TFD dictionary for the word "cure" as an intransitive verb, definition #2.
Topic: Robert Steele: CIA Director John Brennan plotted this false flag attacK with Senator John McCain
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 7:35:26 AM
For anyone looking at Yarin's posting and the YouTube video he linked to, don't bother, it and the video speaker, Steele, have no credibility. Like Alex Jones and a small cadre of "conspiracy theorists," Steele blogs, posts, does radio shows and videos making up conspiracies on subjects from the Sandy Hook School shooting, attack on Congresswoman Gabi Giffords, the San Bernardino shooting, and now the Assad-directed sarin gassing of the Syrian people. Steele, Jones, and their ilk, are mentally unstable opportunists who make their money on books, videos, speeches, etc. to a small and ratty group of gullible people who like to scare themselves by believing everything is a conspiracy, hoax, or "false flag" event put on by the US gov't, CIA, FBI, or some other 'shadowy' entity. I don't know if other countries have a bunch of conspiracy nuts, but unfortunately the US has grown a small crop of them in the past couple of decades...the tend to parallel the "alt-right" thinkers.
Topic: How to watch American OR British television programs with English subtitles?
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2017 8:40:36 AM
A cooperator wrote:
FounDit wrote:

You will probably have to watch programs on satellite or cable, if those are available, to get good captions.

Thanks a lot, dear FounDit, yes, those programs I've really been looking for. However, I didn't find any such programs on satellite or cable. I can only watch some TV channels available on Arabsat 201/202, Nilesat. But most of them don't stream any American/Britain programs with English subtitles . The Erupesat and other satellites don not stream in Yemen.

I myself,have never ever seen any American/Britain programs with English subtitles at all. I've only seen English movies on TV channels, but there are not English subtitles. Could you at least let me know how to find some American/Britain programs with English subtitles? I want to improve my listening to English program while following the spoken words typed on the screen

A cooperator: If I understand what you are asking about ---

If you do have access to YouTube, you can probably get properly "closed-captioned" (the technical name for "subtitles" these days) videos of TV shows, sometimes for free and sometimes for a small cost per episode directly from the production companies who own the TV series. These types of TV shows are closed-captioned for TV watchers, then posted on YouTube, so the words parallel the actual words being spoken. Off the top of my head, try "John Oliver Tonight," (a current news/comedy/commentary show), "The West Wing" (a one hour drama about American politics from the early 2000s); "Blue Bloods" (a current one hour drama about policing), etc. Not all TV videos posted on YouTube have a "CC" button on the screen, but look for it in order to get a decent English word-for-word translation. As FounDit indicated, other types of videos on YouTube are done by 'voice recognition' and so are often badly done as that system is based on phonetics instead of actual translation of the real words spoken. Good luck.
Topic: Do Pool Chemicals React with Hair Dye?
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2017 8:22:04 AM
Hope123 wrote:
Anybody know (or preferably have experience with) if chemicals in swimming pools do/can change the color of hair dye used by beauticians? If so the only preventive I see online is to cover your head in coconut oil before swimming? A bit of water does get inside a swim cap.

Hope: interesting question. Having to admit to a bit of touch-up dye, I haven't experienced a change of color when using the pool in my fitness center. However, I have noticed that the texture of my hair is affected after using it, getting drier and a bit more coarse, at least at the ends. As for the assumption by others of chlorine being the culprit (if there is one), it's my understanding that pools in gyms and fitness centers in the US presently use a mixture of disinfecting chemicals that may or may not include a bit of chlorine; there are a number of disinfectants less astringent that are in use. As for motel/hotel pools, I'd assume the use of chlorine for germ-killing varies based on the sophistication of the motel/hotel company, since there are clearly other chemicals available now beyond simple chlorine.
Topic: Morgue, mortuary,funeral parlour, funeral home
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2017 8:06:08 AM
D00M wrote:
Thank you very much for your crystal clear answer, the lovely dragon.

DOOM: just add to DragOn's comment that in the US, "morgue" is also the name of the place dead bodies are stored in a hospital while they await removal, usually a funeral home for preparation for burial. Morgues, as your search of definitions probably showed you, have cooled storage to keep dead bodies from excessive decomposition. Hospitals in the US, at least moderate to large hospitals, have morgues to keep bodies until decisions can be made by either family or authorities as to where they need to go, particularly in the cases of people who die at night. In the US, hospital morgues used to be used for non-mandated autopsies (mandated autopsies being those required by state or local laws), but few it any hospitals do non-mandated autopsies anymore due to fear of liability; they used to do them to learn more about what caused deaths (ie medical error) but a few decades ago hospital legal departments decided it was best not to find out if a medical error happened or to leave a trail of evidence for a family to find.
Topic: Bungalow
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 8:53:33 AM
Koh Elaine wrote:
Where I live, a bungalow can be two or more storeys.

Do native speakers define a bungalow as having one storey only?

Thanks.

Koh Elaine: In the US, the word "bungalow" almost always is used to refer to a one story house, although it might be used for a house with a useful attic or half-story (like a bump-out for a private bedroom). "Bungalow" in terms of the real estate/property sense are typically houses that are older...meaning they're probably pre-1970 or so, and the "bungalow style" of house in the US (one story, cozy, probably only one bathroom, older archetecture) often is used to describe a house that was built in the 1920-40s era. A one story house built after the 60s or 70s is often referred to as a "ranch house" assuming it's more spacious, has more than one bathroom, attached garage or carport, etc; 'ranch house' is a term that was popularized on the West Coast and is probably used more here than in other areas of the country which would just call a one story house a "one story house" or by the styling e.g. "Spanish-styled," Mediterranean-styled," etc.

Depending on the era and styling of a two story house, in the US it might be called a townhouse, brownstone, multi-level, split-level, etc.
Topic: Adjunct/Assistant/ Associate Professor
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 8:43:15 AM
Koh Elaine: Looks like you got your question pretty well answered for the UK/Canada. I wanted to let you know that in the US things are structured differently than DragOnspeaker indicated for the UK.

In the US, universities (or state colleges) of any size usually have numerous full professors in each department, as well as associate and assistant professors to fill out the faculty. For instance, my brother is full professor at Ohio State University .. the roster of OSU shows that the Anthropology Dept (a smaller one in terms of faculty and students) has 20 professorial staff, of which 9 are full professors; in the larger Political Science Dept, 9 of the 35 professorial staff are full professors, the rest being associate or assistant. All levels of professor would be addressed as "Doctor" assuming they have attained their doctoral degree; entry-level faculty may be awaiting the final award of their Ph.D and would be addressed in most institutions in the US as "professor" or just as "Mr" or "Ms" but not "Doctor." In the US reaching the status of full professor can take as little as five years or as many as 10-15 years, depending on various factors such as the value of someone's research and teaching capabilities, reputation as rated by tenure committees, and financial condition of the university (full professors typically make a lot more money than associates or assistants). It's not uncommon in large US universities for faculty whose careers aren't progressing on the professorial track after several years to move on to a less prestigious university to make room for new staff that may be more productive in research/publishing or directing projects. Beyond the full professors/associate professors/assistant professors, a university may have other teaching staff such as adjunct lecturers, visiting lecturers, etc. These non-faculty teaching staff may have doctoral degrees and be entitled to be referred to as "Doctor," or they may not have doctoral degrees but have exceptional career/hands-on experience that make them attractive as teaching staff.
Topic: Do You Know Underwater Crop Circles in Japan?(29)
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2017 1:06:40 AM
Ashwin: thanks for posting. It seemed like a made up story about a photo but when I researched it, found it was a true phenomenon. Male puffer fish makes these "circles" in a mating ritual. Awesome.
Topic: Why is the sentence not capitalised and has no full stop?
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 12:17:43 AM
Koh Elaine wrote:
deceased

Pronunciation: /dɪˈsiːst/

formal or Law
noun (the deceased)
The recently dead person in question:
the judge inferred that the deceased was confused as to the extent of his assets

The above is from Oxford Online Dictionaries.

May I know why "the" is not capitalised although it begins the sentence? And why does the sentence not end in a full stop?

Thanks.

Koh Elaine: Good questions. In looking at the Oxford Online Dictionary and checking a number of other word definitions in it, it appears that this is just the style Oxford Online Dictionary chose to use for providing information. You're correct that a sentence is supposed to start with a capital letter and end with a punctuation mark such as a period, but that's not the style this dictionary chose to use for reasons I couldn't ascertain from the dictionary itself. It did put simple quote marks ( ' ' ) around the sample sentence, but use of simple quote marks still doesn't explain the omissions you noted. For a new English grammar/vocabulary learner, Oxford Online Dictionary's layout style is not a good model, but the definitions are probably okay for your purposes.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.