User Name: mactoria
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 490
[0.06% of all post / 0.41 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: a word for act of placing your cheek on someone's cheek or head?
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2017 11:52:06 PM
Thanks to both FounDit and Palapaguy. Nuzzling does seem to be what I'm looking for.
Topic: a word for act of placing your cheek on someone's cheek or head?
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2017 3:47:53 AM
I've searched and can't find a word (not a phrase) that can be used to describe the action of a person lovingly placing his cheek on another person's check or head. When cats do it (rub their heads/cheeks on each other or on a human's leg, forehead or other body part) it's called 'bunting.' Is there a word in English or even another language that describes this common act of expressing affection to another person by a loved one, parent, etc.?
Topic: she drew up a hassock
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2017 3:07:56 AM
Did a search of "Go Set A Watchman" on google books, but text on-line was limited and didn't include this particular sentence. However, the Jean Louise in the quote is the main character of the book (known to almost everyone as "Scout" but to her staid aunt with her given name of Jean Louise). She's been away at college, comes back to her small southern home town where things are slow, etc. I think it's likely that the "Light Brigade" in your quote is a reference to the poem by Tennyson, and that she's either choosing a book of poems to read in her leisure time (e.g. drawing up a hassock/stool to sit on while reading this poem/poetry book) or is in some kind of book/poetry club meeting and draws up a hassock/stool to sit with the group that's reading and discussing this poem/book. I could be wrong, and perhaps it's not the Tennyson poem, but instead a non-fiction book about the Light Brigade.

For your purposes, whether it's the Tennyson poem about the Light Brigade or a book on the Light Brigade is not really relevant as evidently you just wanted to know what "drewup a hassock" referred to. As a couple other posters indicated, it just means she's moving a hassock/ottoman/stool to sit upon to be comfortable after deciding to read or discuss something about the Light Brigade (in the TFD dictionary function, it would be the #1 definition of "draw," about moving or dragging something. This book is about people in the deep south in the middle 20th century, and its author Harper Lee was a "southern lady" so the use of "drew up" in this context fits the language of the time and region. It's likely that most people outside of the southern US today wouldn't use the phrase "drew up" as it's sort of an old-fashioned phrase to be used in this kind of context.
Topic: eat one’s enemies
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 1:07:58 AM
Onsen: To "eat your enemies" doesn't literally refer to cannibalism of your enemies. Instead, people use the phrase to convey the act of disabling, blocking, exposing, or otherwise severely damaging your enemy/foe. It's a fairly old idiom, quite vivid in conveying a person's intention to aggressively deal with a person's enemies.
Topic: big shot
Posted: Friday, November 03, 2017 5:06:02 AM
onsen wrote:
Hello,

big shot
also big·shot (bĭg′shŏt′)
n. Slang
An important or influential person.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language

Is the phrase derogatory?

Thank you

Onsen: the term "big shot" can be complementary, derogatory, or a good-natured teasing. All depends on the inflection (when said verbally, how the speaker emphasizes it) and/or the context of the sentence. Just a guess based on experience, here in the US the more common usage of 'big shot' is probably derogatory in some way.
Topic: usage of "to parse"
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2017 6:26:17 AM
Romany: A Catholic school student in my youth, I knew 'parse' in the grammatical context first, but since diagramming and parsing have faded in the intervening decades, at least in the US, the only context I've heard or used 'parse' in for many years as been that of analyzing or critiquing. Its usage in terms of analyzing politics or current events has grown significantly over the past several decades in the US.

Checked the Google Ngram, and 'parse' has been around in the English language (British and American, doesn't include Australian English) before the 1800s, though the Ngram doesn't specify definition of the word. Though since technical grammar terminology is seldom the subject of common conversation or writing (fiction or non-fiction) these days, I hazard the speculation that it's being used in the contest of analyzing or critiquing.
Topic: When did Venusian become an acceptable synonym for Venerian?
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2017 6:17:07 AM
Checked Google's Ngram system, and 'venerian' only started appearing in English language usage in the 1930s, while 'venusian' appeared back in the 1830s. The usage of 'venerian' has been at a very low level for several decades, while 'venusian' has been at a high level for several decades. Usage doesn't necessarily make it correct, but explains why a lot of us have never heard of 'venerian' in the context of Venus.
Topic: Robert Mueller files first set of charges
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 1:14:58 AM
Hope: Can only respond to one of your questions, that of the 4 sealed indictments between the previously sealed indictments of Manafort and Gates. Indictments are of course public information in the US; even if a judge decides to seal them the fact of their sealed existence would be public information. Whether or not these intervening four sealed indictments indeed are related to Russiagate is I think obviously a guess, an educated guess based on the fact that federal indictments aren't sealed that often. Thus, their existence between two Russiagate indictments makes it more likely than not that they're related. But it's also possible they are from some other federal investigation, as there are at any one time a number of federal investigations ongoing in that district court (e.g. tax evasion, bribery of public officials, malfeasance of public office, etc.). I know people are impatient and biased one way or the other, but really we all ought to just let justice take its course, whatever that means: if there are more indictments, sealed or otherwise, we'll be hearing soon enough. As someone who lived through Watergate in my impatient youth, I'm appalled at the media (on all sides of this matter) and the politicians/Administration staff who can't stop speculating and trying to influence the justice process.
Topic: the sling of my arm
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017 4:45:22 AM
Vkhu: Having read the actual passage this quote comes from (using the google books feature), it's very clear that the man/person talking is saying he put the hatchet (and a few other things) into his arm sling for the purposes of carrying. As you indicated, the man/person talking had hurt his arm and so had it in an arm "sling" which turned out to be useful to carry or store things in, especially since he only had one good arm left to use to carry things with.
Topic: Is ten years' jail correct?
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 4:08:27 AM
Verge: Don't want to belabor this or confuse Koh Elaine...I think we both agreed that the wording in her quote was wrong, and we provided similar suggestions for correctly wording the wording the quote.

On the matter of sentences for jails vs prisons: unless you're an attorney or judge with access to some document not otherwise available on the internet, county/parish jails are intended for persons sentenced to a year or less of incarceration (usually a misdemeanor, possibly a light sentence on a more minor felony). Conversely, state prisons are intended for persons sentenced to more than a year of incarceration (a felony crime)...though a prisoner sentenced to state prison may get in under than one year due to 'good behavior credits,' overcrowding of more serious criminals, etc. This is both what I've seen in my state, as well as what is stated in the US government website for the Bureau of Justice Stats. It may be possible that a state might define use of its prisons differently than the majority of other states, but the one year marker is what is standard.

On the matter of federal penitentiaries, the info you provided is what I understand; I left it out as it didn't seem pertinent to Koh's question, but also I've been trying to shorten the length of my posts.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.