Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 223
[0.03% of all post / 0.16 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: The behind
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2018 10:52:03 PM
I am not sure the "to" is necessary. If he sneaked, then he came from somewhere and therefore 'to'.
What does the panel think?
Topic: Being grown vs. Having grown
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2018 10:04:00 PM
Are you all happy about being grown up?"
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
#2 is not too bad - it sounds (to me) like the 'all' should be moved "Are you all happy about being grown up?"

"Are you happy about" requires a noun (or a phrase or clause acting as a noun).
"Are you happy about your life?"
"Are you happy about the way things are?"
Are you happy about being grown up?
Are you happy about having grown up?

#1 and #4 are correct and (to me) express, really, the same idea.

They do ask different things (the words are different - there is a different verb, so the action is different) but the concept is, in the end, virtually the same.

You want to know whether the person is happy that they are no longer a child.
"Being grown up" puts more emphasis on the current state.
"Having grown up" puts a little more emphasis on achieving that state.

I think for "all", he meant 'totally'
Topic: the hierarchy in companies
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2018 6:10:41 AM
In a Company and other Organisations and Insitutions, Government etc, there are "tiers of Management" (the Hierarchy), roughly resembling a pyramid.

The rank and file being at the bottom of the pyramid. lower management, middle management, higher management rising usually in lower numbers until reaching the top of the pyramid where there maybe Directors and the Chief Executive or President etc who will be the top man.

I am not sure from the examples you have given that there is need for many more adjectives or nouns to use.

There are matters of "status" whether earned or inherited.

These days, we have "political correctness" and whether rank and file can be considered "less important" is open to question
Topic: Tomorrow Daddy and Mummy got to work.
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2018 4:23:48 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Romany wrote:
Did it strike anyone else that it was sorta unusual to hear the phrase "Daddy and Mummy"?

I don't really remember from my own childhood, (as "Mummy and Daddy" stopped being a 'unit' by the time I got to school - they were individuals, Mum and Dad, not mentioned together usually. But you're right about Enid Blyton - definitely "Mummy and Daddy".

However I do remember my wife talking to our kids when they were little. She would often use "Daddy and Mummy" - I suppose being polite and naming herself last.

Yes, in Britain, I think you are right. But remember, this is an American website and leans towards (yes, towards) American culture. Many children and adults of all ages think of Mum and Dad but still call them Mummy and Daddy!
Topic: Pound and copy
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2018 4:16:18 AM
I learned a lot from this post - thank you all.
Topic: To market
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2018 4:07:51 AM
thar wrote:
I have to say I think in is a noun

- the first to arrive on the market. Could also be, "The first in the market place"

This little piggy went to market...Whistle
But could be intransitive verb.

In the greater scale of things, it just is what it is. Whistle
Topic: I am putting on the mattress sheet/bed sheet.
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 6:16:37 AM
Romany wrote:
I agree with Chris. Except I'd say a "clean" sheet not a "new" sheet. He might think each time he wets the bed you have to buy a "new" one!

Kids are so literal!

Romany, you are right but I used the word "new" as I imagined there was a special sheet that could somehow accommodate the pee. I did so without background knowledge that the problem was possibly ongoing and not a first time incident. I am rambling! You are right. A "clean" sheet is good enough for me! Of course, the main use for "clean sheet" is in a football (soccer) match in which one or both of the teams do not let in a goal
Topic: until two or three years ago
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 6:03:20 AM
Romany wrote:
I'll admit I might be pedantic here, but I find the sentence a little clumsy.

I'd tend to say something like: "He worked for his previous employer for 5 years and left about two or three years ago."

This is the place to be pedantic! Is that why I like it so much?
Topic: A Day!
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 5:53:12 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Several years ago, I read a great description of the difference between 'natural language' and 'artificial language' (machine language).

It was quite long, but the main point was that natural speech very much relies on 'background knowledge' which is never stated but is understood by both people.

"I'm going now. 'Bye!" in 'machine language' simply means "I'm going now" - in a second the person will not be here.

In 'natural language', it can mean "It's after midnight and I probably should be going home to bed, but I hope you're going to offer me another drink before I go, and I can stay for another hour . . ."
or
"It's six-thirty and I have to go to work. Maybe you could offer to drive me there?"
or . . .

"A day" means whatever it means to the two people in the conversation, I suppose.

To me "I've been working all day" means twelve hours. I work 7am to 7pm (or 7pm to 7am).
Here, in the summer (this year), daylight is 03:23 to 23:05 (even longer in the highlands).
For thar and Jyrkkä Jätkä it's even longer.

As I said in another thread yesterday, I could have a "night out" and arrive home just after sunset!

A very interesting response. Most of what we do on this forum to help our students, often without context and/or relevant "background knowledge" but with background and personal experiential knowledge of our own, means variation from Respondents providing greater depth of understanding, insight, as well as technical help.
Topic: so thinking went
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 5:15:48 AM
"so the thinking went" refers to what might be considered the consensus of the Royal Court and maybe the population at large, (as it thinks the Church and or Monarchy might be weakened) especially as it would have related to the mainly Christian Protestant majority. This majority has reduced in the last 25 years or so. It is possible nowadays the "thinking" would be adjusted to take account of the changing times.

How can we change the original phrasing for it to mean approximately the same?

"So the thinking went" could be, "There is plenty of opposition, uneasiness and bad feeling towards divorced people being involved in a British Royal Marriage". Remember 1936 - Wallis Simpson and Edward V111?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.