User Name: ChrisKC
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 274
[0.03% of all post / 0.19 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: ...convert people who are non-believers of Christianity.
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 12:23:55 AM
Yes, no problem with that.
Topic: Do you need "the"?
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 4:06:05 AM
Marginally, I prefer "the" but I think both sentences are common, correct and convey the desired level of thanks.
Topic: Dm?
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 4:03:11 AM
It stands for Direct Message Me. Options are available from the top right hand corner to 'DM' one or more particular people.
Topic: Being more cost effective vs is more cost effective
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 3:58:52 AM
Both "is" and "being" are part of the same verb to be and therefore mean very much the same thing, particularly in the example sentence.
Topic: Protocol
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 3:53:23 AM
An accepted (agreed) method of procedure.
Topic: How is the grammar in my sentence?
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 3:46:51 AM
Not specially grammatically incorrect but more likely in spoken and written English the sentence would be, "During class, John worked on, then handed in his written assignment", Equally, acceptable would be, "During class, John worked on his written assignment then handed it in.
Topic: "the" makes the sentence have a different meaning?
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 3:26:55 AM
My thought is that "the" in the second example does nothing to change the meaning - in fact, I think it is unnecessary.
Topic: He is very meticulous about paying his debts.
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 9:16:22 AM
I agree with you Thar on the point of my "vigilant" and I think diligent is better than vigilant or scrupulous.

Also I think that the context in the original sentence, while not having any other information to go on, would relate more to his feeling of obligation than anything else.
Topic: He is very meticulous about paying his debts.
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 4:30:33 AM
I think "meticulous" is not quite the right word. Meticulous is more about fine detail than his feeling of obligation to pay his debts. The word may be vigilant, as in taking care he pays his debts on time.

Having said that, it depends on the definition of "debt" in the way we mean it in daily life. A bill or invoice is often not considered a debt if it is paid on or before it is due. A property mortgage or Hire Purchase agreement is a debt over periods from a few weeks to 30 years but Creditors are happy with the agreed regular payments being made on time.

"In debt" though, tends to mean having debts but being unable to settle them, whether wanting to or not! In accountancy terms one is in 'deficit' if liabilities are greater than assets. These may involve debts or could be personal losses of your own money.

Topic: Wandering without a destination through the streets
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 1:38:22 AM
My first thoughts are that the sentence is correct. But reading more than once I am feeling the initial sentence is a bit long-winded, needing many commas and not being sure if it will ever end. the Writer wants to convey much but I believe two sentences with the same content would make for easier reading.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.