The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: hedy mmm
About
User Name: hedy mmm
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Reading, flying, hunting, singing, designing jewelry, painting, studying the bible, volunteering
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,322
[0.14% of all post / 0.67 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: DID YOU KNOW? #8: “Hot Pods & Fired-up Fare”
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 9:01:38 PM
narkom wrote:
And if you’re a nail-biter, you might try dabbing a tiny bit of chile oil on your cuticles. That will teach you to keep your hands in your pockets

Here in Russia we use prepared mustard instead. Children often are nail-biters.

———————-
Yikes! Prepared mustard is quite hot! Brick wall Brick wall Puerto Ricans (which I am half, other half German) use Tabasco Sauce....don’t know if your familiar with this condiment, personally I love it sprinkled on my rice & beans or favorites like ’pasteles’, or raw clams with cocktail sauce (ketchup & horseradish combo) but I sprinkle it on very very lightly I don’t want to burn a hole in my stomach ....hahaha Shame on you

My twin sister was a nailbiter ...not me ...my dad used to put Tabasco sauce on her nails...when it dries you don’t see it, it has a translucent hue and it dried clear on her fingers and she'd forget....golly, geez, yikes... just make sure you don’t have to rub your eye while you’re ‘tinted’! d'oh!

If it doesn’t kill you, it only makes you stronger!

Thanks narkom12, always nice when my new friend on TFD responds...Applause
hedy mmm Dancing

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Topic: DID YOU KNOW? #8: “Hot Pods & Fired-up Fare”
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 10:36:05 AM
It’s going to 24° this eve and snowing in my neck of the woods, I thought I’d send a “warm” respite to my TFDers who are cold! Brrrrrr...
Chiles: What They're Good For

Chiles have become a popular alternative to teargas and mace:
To repel muggers in the city and mean moose on the mountain trail.

The Mayans hurled chiles at their enemies to blind them. d'oh!

Pueblo Indians burned chile seeds to fumigate their dwellings. d'oh!

Organic gardeners make a spray of dried chiles steeped in water to repel insects. Applause

Enterprising boat owners add powdered chiles to boat bottom paint to ward off barnacles. Shhh

Vets use it to treat horses with chest ailments. Applause

It has been employed to dissuade critters from chewing on electrical wires. Anxious

It's used to dissuade pizza poachers from raiding the office refrigerator. Shame on you

And if you’re a nail-biter, you might try dabbing a tiny bit of chile oil on your cuticles. That will teach you to keep your hands in your pockets. Drool

Source: "Chile Death" by Susan Wittig Albert

Laughing warms up the soul so Enjoy!Dancing
hedy mmm

Topic: Recipe for Preserving Children
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 2:32:27 PM
narkom12 wrote:
Source: "The Darling Dahlias and the Eleven O'Clock Lady" by Susan Wittig Albert (A favorite author)
Could you please explain what does Eleven O'Clock Lady mean?
Thanks.

——————
Gladly, narkom12,

The “Eleven O’Clock Lady” is the name of a beautiful white flower: Also known as ‘The Star-of-Bethlehem’, ’Grass Lily’, ’Nap-at-Noon’, a species of the genus Ornithogalum, It is a perennial bulbous flowering plant in the asparagus family (Asparagaceae).

A Spring wildflower in certain climates, is so named because the white blossoms don’t open until the sun shines directly on them and wakes them up!
The book’s title uses the analogy of the flower’s name with a murdered switchboard operator who’s shift ended at 11PM, then she would be wide-awake to party!
Susan Witteg Albert, a best-selling author, has sweet stories laced with mystery and personable characters...

As far as the assumption that my thread was a “deliberate and a very familiar way to get a person’s interest....blah, blah, blah” ....Geez, it took me awhile to stop laughing at the asinine remarks of where threads should be posted, what to thread, even more so, not to appreciate the thread...not that I give a hoot... the recipe is what I threaded, and I always offer the source...you could read the book or not! It makes me no how!
I am grateful for the non-betíse posters such as FounDit, DragOnspeaker, Sarrriesfan and you narkom12, who’ve entertained this thread with memories and questions...it’s been fun!

It actually reminds me of an old adage...about someone you think is stupid, until they open their mouth and prove it!...but I guess if you don’t use text books to teach, (by their own admission) the alternative would be to offer a betíse opinion to a thread that was ‘confusing’ if only just to you!..of course you all know what an opinion is...Right?

NOTE:
Thank you KADIKA for YOUR SMILEY.
Thank you Sarrriesfan for YOUR MOST ENJOYABLE POSTS, sharing your experiences.Applause
Thank you FounDit for YOUR WONDERFUL PHOTO Dancing of the Appalachian Woods...it looks like a beautiful place to be. The closest I ever came to Appalachia is the Appalachian Trail excursions with my 1999 JEEP (which I still drive) up those mountains In PA...those were the days my friends...
Thank you DragOnspeaker for YOUR WONDERFUL PHOTOS Dancing of your neck of the woods and the little angel! Actually I’m made up of all sweet things, namely honey. Many of my friends tell me I’m an angel...and I would respond, “Yes, I’m an angel flying too close to the ground”

Again, I thank you for your inquiry narkom12... Hope we taught you something new! ...You’re on the right track, except this lady’s day began at 11pm when she got out work! Dancing
BTW Welcome narkom12 to the TFD Forum!! Dancing Dancing Dancing

hedy mmm Whistle

Posted: Friday, December 6, 2019 7:06:39 PM
Sarrriesfan wrote:
It’s a good recipe but the small dogs should be to taste.
Growing up in a family with members that were phobic about them “yappy, snarling, little beasts” following an incident with a feral dog biting them whilst a toddler not everyone appreciates them.

——
I love your response Sarrriesfan! Truth be told that on any recipe you can omit or substitute an ingredient.... for instance, I hate cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice, so I make sure I use none of the above when I make pies and yet my pies are scrumptious...so we could leave the dogs out like the song says “who let the dogs out?”, we’ll just change one word!

I didn’t have similar experience growing up...we always had dogs, Pit Bulls, Norwegian Elk Hound, always big dogs...they were all very protective, especially of my son, and grandson... when my grandson was 3, he use to ride on his dog Mason’s back ....that’s how big Mason was, he could yank his ears and tail...the dog 🐕 wouldn’t even bark ...you’re right, little dogs are snarley yappers... I guess they have to make up for what they lack in size. Through the years our dogs have gone to that big fire hydrant in the sky ...right now my son has a Dogo Argentino, blood-white, who’ll grow to 100lbs...Zeus, now 2 yrs old, is beautiful, fearless, strong, lovable, loyal, doesn’t need to bark..his bark would instill fear in any dog or bad guy that would dare to bully ...you don’t need a house alarm! ...Yet Zeus greets the Mailman, UPS, Fedex, ConEd, Sanitation...with wagging tail and dog kisses...they love him ...they even bring him treats on their routes!

But I can understand very well why, after a feral dog bite, why anyone would be apprehensive of having a dog around...Certain breeds are not good with children, one should do their homework before getting a dog.

So I’ll change my recipe, instead of 3 small dogs, how about a “Zeus” to keep those toddlers safe & secure...even in the bathtub!

Have a blessed weekend!
hedy mmm

Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 9:21:25 PM
Hi KADIKA,
Welcome to the TFD forum! Dancing
...and thanks! Applause

hedy mmm

Topic: TFD Games, The Finer Points of Instructions, Rules
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 9:10:34 PM
Yes, I can direct you Alibeartoes,

The Office of Waste Reduction & Recycling Green Games is a student-led environmental competition between the UNC housing communities with the goal of promoting sustainable behavior and environmental education. Residents can earn points for their communities by participating in programs, contests, and events organized by their community’s student leaders.

If you’ve participated or hosted a Green Games Program, you can submit your program for points through StarRez (make sure to check off that it is a Green Games event in order to receive Green Games points!) and earn points for your community!

Office of Waste Reduction and Recycling
Room 127 General Storeroom Building
111 Airport Drive, CB #1805 Chapel Hill, NC 27599-1805
Phone: 919-962-1442
Email: recycling@facilities.unc.edu

Taylor Cooleen is a Green Games Intern, she can be reached by email: tcooleen@live.unc.edu
She is the resource for any questions, concerns, or comments about Green Games.

There is a lot of information on the web, concerning Green Games. I’m familiar with it a little because I’ve designed logos and banners for recycling companies.

My research sometimes comes from the web... and I’m a avid reader and I like helping people, so there!

Hope this was helpful and BTW Welcome to TFD forum! Applause

hedy mmm
Dancing Dancing

Topic: TFD Games, The Finer Points of Instructions, Rules
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 8:47:23 PM

Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2019 2:03:10 PM
Somewhere in the world it’s spring, fall and possibly warm...but not as cold as it feels in The Bronx, NY (31°) where I am now! ha ha ha
So, naturally I thought of this beautiful recipe and I wanted to share it with my TFD friends...as I electronically work indoors today! Brrrrrrrrr......

Recipe for Preserving Children

INGREDIENTS:
Take one grassy field
1/2 dozen children (or as many as you have)
3 small dogs
a pinch of a brook
some pebbles

Mix the children and dogs well together and put them in the field, stirring constantly.
Pour the brook over the pebbles. Sprinkle the field with flowers, spread over all a deep blue sky, and bake in a hot sun.
When brown, remove the children and set away to cool in a bathtub.

Source: "The Darling Dahlias and the Eleven O'Clock Lady" by Susan Wittig Albert (A favorite author)

hedy mmm

Topic: DID YOU KNOW? #7 Peanuts Aren’t Nuts!
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 2:46:46 PM
Hey FounDit my friend, Dancing

‘Puritan Pride’ Online sells pistachios that are not painted red they taste delicious, a pound bag for $9.98, it’s more than worth it...they’re in the shells... they taste the same as the red ones except they don’t stain your fingers. That’s where I buy freeze dried fruit like pineapples, peaches, apricots and cranberries...but I freeze my strawberries, bananas and mango for smoothies ...my soon to be 15 yr old grandson loves smoothies and he pigs out on the fruit & nuts, especially the apricots and pistachios, they also have walnuts, almonds and eggnog covered almonds ...yikes let me stop talking I’m gonna get hungry! I’ll send you the link.

Costco has ‘Whole Fancy Salted Cashews’ ...you get a 2lbs,10oz (42 oz) container for under $19...they’re delicious and very healthy.

hedy

Topic: ‘DID YOU KNOW’ #8: “Signs You’re Getting Old”:
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 2:05:39 PM
A big DITTO to you FounDit!

I’m glad you thinks like I do... I gave my mother the book many years ago, “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff”...she worried about everything, always seeing the cup half empty...after 9/11 I bought her a notebook...I asked her to jot down each day, a new page, a positive remembrance...just one, that would begin by saying, “I remember when..” ...like when my sister and I were born, my brothers’ birth, her first pet, her wedding, mine, anything that was a joyous occasion...she said she couldn’t think what joys she’d be able to write about...but it was a homework assignment, from Hedy, so she had no choice! i didn’t anticipate more than a few entries if at all.

When the Lord called her home 3 yrs later at 84 (3 months after my husband of 45 yrs.) I found not one but 3 notebooks full of “I remember when..”...her first entry was about my birth!
At her memorial service I read 18 entries she wrote about, (she actually had a few hundred remembrances, so I picked her favorites to share) amidst my tears, I knew she had finally decided to ”sit and ponder”, I was overjoyed that she found the joy that still lives in me...not saying that life isn’t always peaches‘n’cream, sometimes life gives you lemons...So make lemonade (and add a dash of tequila if you gotta!)

What people don’t realize is that we only go through this life once, it’s not a dress rehearsal...we are not promised tomorrow
’Someday’ is not a day of the week...
Life goes by while you’re busy making plans...

My adage...”Life Is hard but God is good”, for He has brought me through all the storms in my life.

It’s not that we’re not aging, It’s as you said...your staying ’Sung’...ditto!

hedy

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.