The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: hedy mmm
About
User Name: hedy mmm
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Reading, flying, hunting, singing, designing jewelry, painting, studying the bible, volunteering
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,208
[0.13% of all post / 0.70 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Ill-Fated Apollo 13 Spacecraft Returns to Earth Safely (1970)
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 10:19:19 AM
Awesome "This Day in History"...Thank you Daemon!

When I was learning to fly, before 9/11, the flying lessons were $50 per hr. and ground classes were also minimal.
So, I really got a kick out of the "Towing fees" paragraph especially its detailed charges..yikes! (See below)

"As a joke following Apollo 13's successful splashdown, Grumman Aerospace Corporation pilot Sam Greenberg (who had helped with the strategy for re-routing power from the LM to the crippled CM) issued a tongue-in-cheek invoice for $400,540.05 to North American Rockwell, Pratt and Whitney, and Beech Aircraft,nprime and subcontractors for the CSM, for "towing" the crippled ship most of the way to the Moon and back. The figure was based on an estimated 400,001 miles (643,739 km) at $1.00 per mile, plus $4.00 for the first mile. An extra $536.05 was included for battery charging, oxygen, and an "additional guest in room" (Swigert). A 20% "commercial discount," as well as a further 2% discount if North American were to pay in cash, reduced the total to $312,421.24. North American declined payment, noting that it had ferried three previous Grumman LMs to the Moon (Apollo 10, Apollo 11 and Apollo 12) with no such reciprocal charges."

I'm not superstitious, however, giving the name of Apollo's mission the '13th', seems to have jinxed it!
Many buildings exceeding 13 floors, skip the number 13, so you go from 12th floor to 14th...even the elevators indicate the same!
Interesting?

Thank God the failure was a success for the astronauts returned safely...we know Who's in Charge!

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Topic: That ....
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 9:46:49 AM
Atatürk wrote:
If you think about it, it turns out that, after all this time, Moll's husband did marry a very rich woman. It just took a few years for that to that ship to come in. But now Moll is wealthy, and her husband is, too.

What does "to that ship" mean?

---
"If you think about it, it turns out that, after all this time, Moll's husband did marry a very rich woman. It just took a few years for that to that ship to come in. But now Moll is wealthy, and her husband is, too."

What does "to that ship" mean? I believe it was in error, see sentence above with correction.

Topic: Should "The" be in lower case?
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 8:52:52 AM
Clyde of Oz wrote:
Also, any Bibles I've seen that I can recall, are simply titled 'Holy Bible'.

Correctomundo...and welcome to TFD's forum Clyde of Oz. Dancing
Thanks for the info...BobShilling, I wasn't aware.d'oh!

Posted: Tuesday, April 9, 2019 9:07:25 PM
BobShilling wrote:
The third of the three ages of Buddhism, the Latter Day of the Law, is normally written as I have written it. The articles are not capitalised.

I stand corrected, d'oh! I guess I was thinking of the 'Latter Day Saints'...but, even if it's the beginning of a sentence? That doesn't make sense!
In AE, the first letter in a sentence always begins with a capital...of that I'm sure! Whistle

Topic: Jørn Utzon (1918)
Posted: Tuesday, April 9, 2019 11:35:22 AM
Daemon wrote:
Today's Birthday...Jorn Utzon (1918)

"In mid-1965, the New South Wales Liberal government of Robert Askin was elected. Askin had been a 'vocal critic of the project prior to gaining office.'[13] His new Minister for Public Works, Davis Hughes, was even less sympathetic".

Yes Adyl Mouhei, 'Such a creative genius!' Applause
Sadly, a Liberal government came into power and thwarted Utzon's project and he was forced to resign...typical!d'oh!
But, you can't keep a genius down! Dancing

Awesome article! Applause

Posted: Tuesday, April 9, 2019 11:01:35 AM
Koh Elaine wrote:
It is stated that “The beginning of the Latter Day of the Law will not be without inconspicuous benefit."

Should 'The' be in lower case?

I assume you mean the first 'The', the answer is NO, because a complete sentence always begins with a capital.
However, the second 'the' should also be capitalized...'The Latter Day of the Law'...
I think it's even correct to write 'The Latter Day of The Law'....it's the title as in 'The Holy Bible'

Let's see what other opinions are offered! Think

Topic: To force a showdown
Posted: Thursday, April 4, 2019 3:26:14 PM
Hi Jyrkkä Jätkä, I listened to the song "The Sheriff", as you suggested, on YouTube...the guys sing pretty good, I got a kick out of the lyrics, Applause but the synthesized music is not my cup of tea (actually I prefer a cup of Bustelo coffee)...I hope you'll listen to the song below sung by Kenny Rogers...that's more my speed...(maybe cause I'm an old country music buff!) operative word here is 'old'! Whistle

The Gambler

On a warm summer's eve
On a train bound for nowhere
I met up with the gambler
We were both too tired to sleep
So we took turns a-starin'
Out the window at the darkness
The boredom overtook us,
And he began to speak

He said, "Son, I've made a life
Out of readin' people's faces
Knowin' what the cards were
By the way they held their eyes
So if you don't mind me sayin'
I can see you're out of aces
For a taste of your whiskey
I'll give you some advice"

So I handed him my bottle
And he drank down my last swallow
Then he bummed a cigarette
And asked me for a light
And the night got deathly quiet
And his faced lost all expression
He said, "If you're gonna play the game, boy
You gotta learn to play it right"

"You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done

Every gambler knows
That the secret to survivin'
Is knowin' what to throw away
And knowin' what to keep
'Cause every hand's a winner
And every hand's a loser
And the best that you can hope for
Is to die in your sleep

And when he finished speakin'
He turned back toward the window
Crushed out his cigarette
And faded off to sleep
And somewhere in the darkness
The gambler he broke even
But in his final words
I found an ace that I could keep

Sorry Atatürk for going into a different direction...Guess the meaning of 'force the showdown' provoked a thinking of sheriffs & gunslingers, and songs about them...from TFDers in opposite sides of the world! Dancing Dancing

Topic: Lots of worries ran through/crossed my mind.
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2019 10:03:14 AM
Orson Burleigh, I liked your response...it was concise and suffice to say, it answered the question perfectly. Applause

The thread, and your response, brought to mind a quote I use quite often (and you're probably familiar with it!)

“I have been through some (worries) in my life, some of which actually happened.” ~ Mark Twain

Topic: To force a showdown
Posted: Monday, April 1, 2019 5:10:04 PM
Atatürk wrote:
What does "force a showdown" mean in the above?

lazarius responded:
It is when you come up equipped with a gun and demand satisfaction.

Quote:
Now she and her man, who called himself Dan
Were in the next room at the hoe down
Rocky burst in, and grinning a grin
He said, "Danny boy, this is a showdown"
But Daniel was hot, he drew first and shot
And Rocky collapsed in the corner

I liked your question Atatürk Applause ...and loved your response lazarius' Applause

Orson Burleigh's your post reminds of an old favorite song/video..."The Gambler", sung by Kenny Rogers. The video shows that following 'the good advise' would definetly thwart a showdown...especially with a gambler! Whistle

Thanks you guys! Dancing

Topic: When Dev, a carefree...
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2019 4:19:58 PM
Amybal wrote:
Hi, is there anything wrong in these sentences?

Short summary
When Dev, a carefree photographer, meets a company CEO Meghna, they fall for each other in a fingersnap. However, with such tumultuous hurdles, they have to fight their ways to each other. Eventually.

Long summary
A young and talented photographer, Dev lives carefreely. When he meets Meghna, a CEO whose commitment is her business, they directly connect in a fingersnap. Meghna, an unbeliever of a love in first sight, consults to her mother of the instant relationship, who suggests a travel date with Dev. After traveling together, they fall of each other but end in a break-up. Heartbroken, Dev travels to the Mount Everest, but eventually, and sweetly, Meghna joins him in the adventure to the world together.

Hi, I have made a few suggestions in red...however, it's written quite well!

Short summary
When Dev, a carefree photographer met a company CEO Meghna, they fell for each other in a fingersnap. Eventually, because of tumultuous hurdles, they had to fight their way to be with each other.

Long summary
A young and talented photographer, Dev lives carefree (no such word as carefreely). When he met Meghna, a CEO whose was committed to her business, they connected in a fingersnap. Meghna, an unbeliever of love at first sight, consulted with her mother, who suggested a travel date with Dev. After traveling together—having fallen for each other—they broke up.

Heartbroken, Dev traveled alone to Mount Everest. Eventually and sweetly, Meghna, again, joined him in an adventure to see the world.

I wait to see what other TFDers suggest...

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.