Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Statistics
Number of Posts: 1,361
[0.14% of all post / 0.68 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: So as to
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 10:31:05 AM
Atatürk wrote:
Hi heddy, thanks for the answer and your warm participation.
Yes it's been a long time since I last had the chance to have you in my threads. How's life?

By the way, what does "never bordering on a novel" mean?

————-
Hey Atatürk...
Life is GREAT! Dancing I trust you & family are great too!

I miss your threads too d'oh! ..but sometimes I’ve got work deadlines, Brick wall so TFD Forum takes a back seat!

hedy mmm Whistle
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 4:31:41 PM
taurine wrote:
Yeah... FounDit was like fresh oregano, while you, hedy mmm prepared the whole salad with Greek cheese.

Yep, Yep, Yep...We sure done did it!!! ... FounDit’s ingredient would compliment my salad with that delish Feta Cheese...yum!
His wife might even give him that task!! Hahaha

I’ll start a new series like about favorite food recipes...
Posters would love to add their favorites ...imagine they could be from all over the world! Of course we have to start with you after I thread. Then FounDit, Atatürk, possibly tautophile, even Orson Burleigh, (if he’s not offended when I state,“You are wrong...”)
I already expect many to contribute.. maybe some of the betíse will stay away from it or possibly add... NOT!

It would be titled “What’s You’re Fav🥑Food?” series, #’rd...
The avocado logo because I said so...

I’ll explain on the first thread...Food, origin, ingredients? how much? weight? prep & cooking time? and how many people it would feed... and I’ll place it where I please!

So, can I count you in taurine?

hedy...

Topic: take a slight detour
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 3:22:30 PM
Tara2 writes:
Does 'take' mean 'choose"?

"Section 15.3 takes a slight detour into the question of media recovery (i.e., recovering after the database has been physically damaged in some way-.g., by a head crash on the disk)."

———-
I don’t think it’s a matter of ’choosing’ it’s more like the only way to go ...that’s why you would use the word ’take’...

Tara2, also use either one or two quotation marks on either end of a word ...this was probably a typo...
So, if it was, I’m sorry for pointing it out! d'oh!

hedy mmm
Topic: a few concluding remarks
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 3:09:43 PM
Tara2 wrote:
Is 'remark' like 'mention'? How is it countable? Isn't 'remark' here redundant and just "a few concludes' suffice?

"Section 15.6 then introduces the crucially important concept of nvo-phase commit, and Section 15.7 discusses savepoints, Section 15.8 describes the relevant facilities of SQL. Finally, Section 15.9 presents a summary and a few concluding remarks."

Wilmar (USA) answers:
Remark is a noun, does that help?

———
hedy mmm adds:
Here are my 2¢ and further explain...there are 3 sections, each describing itself, however, the 4th section—the summary of the 3—is the ”few concluding remarks”...concluding indicates end!

hedy mmm

Topic: Getting gas at a self service station
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 2:12:23 PM
FounDit wrote:
Thanks, hedy. You summed it up beautifully.

————-
You don’t have to thank me, FounDit, I guess I’m just one of the “guys” who sees things clearly!
As far as addressing myself as a ”guy”...(for I expect to see a betíse TFDer post a comment). Brick wall
My response, and I’ll share it now is...”So many men, So little time”...hahaha!

There’s a YouTube video with Miquel Brown singing the song...(but I could only relate to the motorcycle!!)
I have one man in my life, “My Endless Love”, and that’s the way it will always be...till the Lord takes me home!

hedy mmm
Whistle
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 1:18:20 PM
Atatürk wrote:
The exam was so difficult as to get a good mark.

Is the above grammatical?

———-
Hi Atatürk, ”long time no see”,Dancing

tautophile offered some very good suggestions Applause ...and adding my 2¢:
“The exam was so difficult that it was hard to get a good mark” or other synonyms of difficult and hard...or reversing them!
“The exam was so hard that it was difficult to get a good mark [or grade]”

Also, in your question:
“Is the above grammatical?”
You wouldn’t just say grammatical, because that’s exactly what it is...relating to grammar!
Correct would be “Is the above [sentence] grammatically correct?”

BTW FounDit...I love your answer...succinct...never bordering on a novel! Applause

hedy mmm
Whistle

Topic: ‘DID YOU KNOW’ #8: “Signs You’re Getting Old”:
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 11:59:42 AM
Ashwin Joshi wrote:
Just one good (all synonyms including) friend is a potent anti-ageing recipe.

——-
Ashwin Joshi, what a beautiful pict, saying & sentiment (by Dr. Leo Buscaglia....he happens to be my favorite speaker of all times)...
Thank you for realizing that it is a potent recipe for anti-aging... and a gentle reminder of my original post!

I’m going to post a new thread that continues from this one, you've responded to, on my “Did You Know” series, however, this time it won’t be just health related...it’ll be love related..I think you’ll appreciate it...

Yes, “A single rose, your garden, your world...”

hedy mmm

Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2020 6:07:42 PM
FounDit wrote:
This wording is both rude and insulting, resulting in you practicing what you preach against. d'oh! Not everyone see this as a demand (that would include several hundred million people), so just because you do, doesn't mean you are the judge of proper behavior. Sanctimony is more offensive than this kind of request.

Ashwin Joshi wrote:
What an observation! Applause

hedy mmm wrote:
Ditto to you both...couldn't have said better myself!...with a few words you guys spoke volumes...While some folk speak volumes and say nothing!

Wilmar (USA), your explanation was as concise & excellent as always!Applause

Language Freak,
May I be the first to welcome you to TFD Forum... Applause

hedy mmm
Dancing

Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2020 10:43:54 AM
Ashwin Joshi wrote:
Wilmar's simple answers are loveliest

———
Very well stated Ashwin Joshi...Applause
Wilmar (USA) you are most correct...simple and to the point...Applause

hedy mmm
Dancing
Topic: I am very far of you
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 3:30:50 PM
palapaguy wrote:
"Very" sounds wrong since it's a small sofa.
"In front of me" sounds wrong because it's a sofa. Should be "beside."
He wasn't "far of" you. He was near you.

"How to say it more natural way?" How does one say it in a more natural way?

———————
Actually, palapaguy...I don’t mean to be argumentative, however, the original sentences were,
“My son was sitting in FRONT of me on the sofa.”
“He wanted to tell me he was far from me”

...So in essence his son could NOT have been BESIDE him, he said he was sitting in FRONT of him...and no one can assume the sofa is small...
My sofa is (6ft long) and my love seat (4ft long), and are in FRONT of each other facing a cocktail table between them a distance of 5ft from each other...so his son could’ve very well been far away... His sentence was: “I am very far from you”...in my house he’d be almost 7ft away...definetly far...eek! d'oh!

I just answered bihunsedap’s question!

palapaguy, I do like how you modified his thread question,Applause much simpler than mine...d'oh!

BTW That’s Ok for a son but definitely not for a sweetheart, Shame on you he’d want to be beside me!Whistle (Did I say that out E-loud?) Whistle

hedy mmm...Dancing