The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: hedy mmm
About
User Name: hedy mmm
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Occupation: Artist, Graphic designer & printer, Jeweler
Interests: Reading, flying, hunting, singing, designing jewelry, painting, studying the bible, volunteering
Gender: Female
Home Page
Statistics
Joined: Tuesday, July 29, 2014
Last Visit: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 11:17:40 PM
Number of Posts: 1,255
[0.13% of all post / 0.70 posts per day]
Avatar
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: were being carried out
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 4:12:47 PM
YIKES! ozok, I can't believe I made such a STUPID mistake!Brick wall

"I hate spelling errors...you mix up two letters and your whole post is urined"

I could blame it on haste to write or on recalling a bad experience or even on the fact that I don't have an appendage...but then I'd be just like what society has allowed...making excuses for behavior, blaming upbringing, family, ...in my case I was STUPID...

My adage is simply, "I can't be beautiful, brilliant and ____________!". Which in this blank space, would be "know how to spell"

.(hope you can forgive me!)d'oh!
And that's no tale!

hedy mmm


"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Topic: Although
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 2:49:58 PM
Mohammad Reza.s wrote:
Hi,
Is the following sentence grammatically correct?

Although filled with anger,she managed to control her emotions and did not shout .

Just the punctuation marks...
Although filled with anger,(space) she managed to control her emotions and did not shout(no space).
And like we'd say in NYC...not bad...you done good!Applause

BTW Welcome Mohammad Reza.s to TFD forum family!Dancing

hedy mmm


"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Topic: were being carried out
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 12:13:24 PM
Adyl Mouhel wrote:
I agree with Hedy.


Thank you Amyl Mouhel...Applause

I once was on a down escalator in a very large and crowded department store, the lady in front me had a toddler in an umbrella stroller In front of her...in front of the stroller there was a man (a bad one) who, when he got to the bottom, turned swiftly and grabbed the heavy gold chain that was on the toddler, he ripped it off in 30 seconds...when mom got off the escalator the child was screaming because it had cut her neck, unbeknownst, to mom!!

The child was screaming, near the bottom of the escalator, mom was trying to get off, and people were clamoring to get off behind me, I saw the baby's neck bleeding and aided mom, also called the police...the theif was long gone...

You have no clue how I responded to the irate crowd, suffice to say they left with their tales between their legs...and I didn't use, not one, curse word...guess at 4'11" I can still instill fear! d'oh!

hedy mmm
Whistle

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Topic: Skip
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2019 10:55:04 PM
NKM wrote:
One more point: You would make an appointment in order to avoid (not "skip") the wait.


Correctomundo NKMApplause ...although you and I know that in a doctor's office it doesn't work that way...you make an appointment for 10am (perhaps even 3 months beforehand because they are booked solid) and another patient has his appointment for 2pm the same day...BUT if he gets there even 10 minutes before your scheduled appointment (let's say 9am), they'll take him firstd'oh! ...because he signed in his arrival and they take him (first come first served) without considering the time of the ACTUAL appointment...yikes!

I speak from experience!!

BTW Atatürk, I think Adyl Mouhel was thanking me for the explain Applause ...I could be mistaken, only he knows for sure. Think
hedy mmm




"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Topic: were being carried out
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2019 10:31:26 PM
"Carried out" is the correct answer...it's the rescue that is being 'carried out', nothing to do with the screaming child...there is no hint that the child was being carried ...

Also, there is no parallel with drilling (labor) and screaming (emotion), just because they are both deafening!
hedy mmm



"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Topic: Skip
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2019 8:09:24 PM
Atatürk wrote:
Please make an appointment beforehand to skip the wait.
Correct?


Hi Atatürk,

I have a few suggestions:

In verbal communication you would say, "Please make an appointment" or "We schedule appointments".
Both 'beforehand' and 'to skip the wait' are redundant.

In written form, like for a sign, brochure or business card (promotional material) you would write: "Call for an appointment" "By Appointment Only"...or even "Schedule Your Next Appointment Today"

hedy mmm





"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Topic: SOM
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2019 11:23:11 AM
May I be the first to welcome you, alibey1917, to the TFD and its forum! Dancing

There are a myriad of SOM acronyms which you can find on the Internet. d'oh!

The one that you've inquired about is 'Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP (SOM).

"It is one of the largest and most influential architecture, interior design, engineering, and urban planning firms in the world. Founded in 1936, [they] have completed more than 10,000 projects in over 50 countries. [They] are renowned for [their] iconic buildings and commitment to design excellence, innovation, and sustainability."...(source: SOM LLP website)

hedy mmm


"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Topic: The Flying Wallendas Aerialists IN TIMES SQUARE!
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2019 10:55:02 AM
FounDit wrote:
...You don't tell God what to do!


Yes, Orighty there! But when I read taurine's post I thought he 'liked the explanation'...not that he didn't understand it...

Grammatically, I think it was incorrectly written...It should have been, I like his explanation of what "testing God" means.

I could be wrong, however, I am well aware that if it's not a (AE) native speaker, the grammar may follow the pattern of their native tongue, for eg., in AE you say 'King Ash' but in Hindi it's backwards...'Ash Raja'; also in AE you say "the White House", but in Spanish it's backwards..."la Casa Blanca"...

The quote: "He denies that his stunts "test" God. "To test God would be to never train, never practice, and then to walk across the Grand Canyon; or to jump off a building, or throw myself in front of a truck", he says. Wallenda says he tries to live "an upright life" and be a good example."

With God It's the reverse...We obey Him...if anyone thinks otherwise, they don't know Him!
My thought is always "If God is your Co-pilot, change seats!"

Do you agree my friend?

hedy mmm



"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Topic: The Flying Wallendas Aerialists IN TIMES SQUARE!
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2019 9:43:20 AM
Thank you for your response taurine, Yes, I like his explanation too.

May I suggest that you peruse the Internet to learn more of the Wallendas' feats throughout the world...

I have been their fan for 6.5 decades, as were my parents before...the Wallendas have certainly been blessed!

Yes we serve an AWESOME God...
hedy mmm


"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Topic: The Flying Wallendas Aerialists IN TIMES SQUARE!
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2019 12:03:33 AM
The Flying Wallendas

Today's feat, which I viewed this evening, of Nik and Lijana Wallenda is the first live high wire performance in Times Square, NYC...it was so awesome to watch, especially because they are "Born-Again believers" and like me, know that our Creator/God is very real and they attribute their success to HIM...


Nikolas Wallenda (born January 24, 1979) is an American acrobat, aerialist, daredevil, high wire artist, and author. He is known for his high-wire performances without a safety net. He holds nine Guinness World Records for various acrobatic feats, but is best known as the first person to walk a tightrope stretched directly over Niagara Falls.

Wallenda is a seventh-generation member of The Flying Wallendas family of aerialists. His ancestors were primarily of Austro-Hungarian descent and have been circus performers since the late 1700s; they have been doing balancing acts without nets since Karl Wallenda made the family famous for the feat in the 1920s. Nik Wallenda is a direct descendant of Karl, (his great grandfather) whom he calls his role model and his "biggest hero in life". Several members of the family have lost their lives while training or performing. In 1962, the troupe's famous seven-person pyramid collapsed, killing two family members and paralyzing Wallenda's uncle Mario. In 1978, Karl Wallenda died after falling from a tight rope at age 73 in Puerto Rico.

In 1999, Wallenda proposed to his future wife Erendira (née Vasquez, from famous Mexican circus family) on a wire 30 feet (9.1 m) high during a performance in Montreal, Quebec. in Having just performed a seven-man pyramid act with his family, he stayed on the platform while the family descended. He walked to the middle of the wire and got down on one knee, proposing to Erendira in front of 25,000 people. A week later, they were married. "I don't know if either of us could be married to someone who didn't perform", says Erendira. "I can't see either of us ever being happy sitting behind a desk."

Wallenda credits God for his success, saying that what he does on the high-wire is a gift from God. He grew up in "a Bible-believing, God-fearing family" and describes himself as a "Born-Again Christian". Faith is "the most important part of my life", he says. According to family friend Michael Mascitto, "When he started doing some of these bigger stunts, he realized that he was developing a platform, or rather God was giving him a platform, to use his abilities for God's glory". Mascitto says Wallenda's faith has been strengthened as his profile grew. "He truly believes it's because God has given him this platform for a reason — to glorify Him ... Him with a capital H." Wallenda is married with three children, and considers his Christian faith to be a central aspect of his life.

Before every wire walk, Wallenda joins his family in prayer and he always wears a cross as he performs. He remarks, "The Bible says pray without ceasing and I'm always praying." He denies that his stunts "test" God. "To test God would be to never train, never practice, and then to walk across the Grand Canyon; or to jump off a building, or throw myself in front of a truck", he says. Wallenda says he tries to live "an upright life" and be a good example. Despite his success, Wallenda wants people to think of him as just a regular guy. "I want people to like me, just for who I am", he says. "What you get is a regular person. I want people to relate to me." Friends described him as a lighthearted guy who is always cracking jokes.

Yes we serve an awesome God!

hedy mmm

"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.