Statistics
Number of Posts: 640
[0.08% of all post / 0.55 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Kudos to Billy Joel
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 8:37:56 PM
Sometimes the best statement is unspoken...Kudos to Billy Joel

http://www.newser.com/story/247583/billy-joel-quietly-protests-neo-nazis.html

This is the link to the article...nothing more to say.

"Your life matters more than you will ever know, so live it well"
Topic: Kasha?
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 11:05:43 PM
Kasha varnishka...yum. I grew up with that too and it was a standard dish on a Friday night with a brisket. Ahhh memories...you could walk home on Friday after school and smell it throughout the neighborhood and know which homes were Jewish. When I went to Kazakhstan I quickly learned that kasha was the word they used for "oatmeal" not buckwheat, that was called grechka. When I asked for kasha I was shocked to be given oatmeal so I quickly learned how to say grechka instead so I got buckwheat.

This thread brought back nice memories...thanks :)

Topic: Old Keys Don't Open New Doors.
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2017 5:57:14 PM
Well it's a nice saying but not always true...I've known some old keys that indeed can open new doors..come to China and you'll find out.

BTW, I know of two times when different keys opened the same car door and started the car...this is a fact. I had a Saturn and so did my husband, both our keys could open each car, but his key could also start my car. We told Saturn and they told us that they only had so many key patterns so this was common. Scary really when you think about it.

As for the saying...yes, I agree that new concepts are important when facing any issue that appears to need a better solution. The definition for insanity is doing the same thing over and over yet expecting a different result. Given that, I encourage my students to think creatively and seek new ways to see old problems.

Topic: First woman president of the United States?
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 7:20:45 PM
There were similar events like that in China...there were also very strong women here who ran the country "behind the silk curtain" so to speak. The last one was known as Empress Dowager Cixi (or Tzu-his) who ran the country for 47 years. She was the one most Chinese blame for the fall of the Qing dynasty.

Women tend to take a bad rap when it comes to being in leadership role (don't shoot me that's my opinion!) Speak to the hand

As for, is the US ready for a woman president...hmmm, I will leave that for future generations to decide...some didn't think women were ready to vote, but it seems we've managed to do that right for nearly 100 years. Whistle

I look forward to the day when gender, age, race, social standing, religion or any other man-made barrier is torn down and we can all just see each other as humans who deserve respect and equality. I guess I must be asking for too much. I also look forward to a time when we don't have to qualify anything with the first woman to...whatever, or the first black person to.... or the first (fill-in the blank) and we just recognize the accomplishment period.

But I digress...

Silenced

Topic: Why American teachers quit their jobs
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 7:33:48 PM
Romany:

I believe you and I have much in common in many ways. I too don't think of what I do as "teaching" so to speak...I too find that I learn from my students as much as they learn from me.

Sorry to hear about your "fire" I would be lost if my files that I've kept for the last 10 years went missing or up in smoke. I have enough material for a book or two, but sadly no time to sit and write it.

I have however completed 6 coursebooks (done in one year) and now I've been consumed with teaching from them. I hope to hire my first teacher to train this year and once that is done I can ease off the full-time work and hopefully have some time to write again.

Life is a roller-coaster and since it has many ups, downs, twists and turns, it's best to ease back and enjoy it. Once the ride is over, you don't get a 2nd go round. I've learned to hang on and flow with it.

BTW, everything you've stated about the youth and the younger generation here in China is spot-on. They are becoming more informed and aware...it's an exciting time to be here.

Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 6:43:29 PM
Almo:

I live in teach in China and have done so now for 10 years. My students (in my class) are free to discuss anything. We talk about all kinds of issues, but I must caution those who have never been here...talking is not preaching!

I never bring up my own opinion on ANY issue. It doesn't matter what I think. My students need to form their own opinions and those need to be based on facts from both sides of whatever issue is presented. I do my best to present unbiased views, and to be fair to both sides of any issue.

I was raised on old fashion journalism where the journalist reported facts only. I miss those days.

Romany: So do you or your sons want to return and teach here??? I have jobs!

Parser: I have always felt that to walk your talk is the best way to teach anything. I believe I once heard an expression that says; "no one will care how much you know, until they know how much you care."

My mother used to tell us that "talk" is cheap and only your "action" mean anything. I have found that to be very true. I do my best to always be consistent in how I live and to treat others with respect even when I am not treated the same way. Kindness can go a long way in this world.

Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2017 9:46:39 AM
TheParser wrote:
L.Rai wrote:
Children here can do anything and most of the time there is little discipline in place.

Thank you so much for that fascinating information.

I remember reading some years back that some young people were no longer offering their bus seats to older people!

Have a pleasant new week!

Thanks, I hope to have a pleasant week...and yes, some young people have forgotten manners on the bus...but others are often very polite. No different than in other areas of the world.

BTW, I teach Critical Thinking here in China, using a world-view perspective. It's my opinion that the only way teachers can influence is by living what they "preach" so to speak. I also feel if we'd want to make a global difference it will require teachers to go to places where they can make the most impact. It's one reason I teach in China...I can't change a country but I can impact it one child at a time!

Posted: Saturday, April 15, 2017 7:26:12 PM
I know this is also a problem in China (recently) but it's being addressed. I was asked to create a program to be taken into the local public schools teaching "respect" from a "western" perspective. The problem in China has been created by the "emperor/emperess" syndrome because of the one-child policy. Children here can do anything and most of the time there is little discipline in place. They are taught to "behave" only after they go to school.

Even with that said, I still would prefer teaching here than to teach in the US. None of my kids will ever bring a gun into the classroom...

BTW, I hire teachers who'd like to come teach English in China. If anyone is interested you can PM me. You need to be between 25 to 55, have a BA (in anything), have a TEFL or TESOL certification (minimum 120 hours), and be a native speaker from one of the following countries: USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia or New Zealand. The criteria is not mine...it comes from the Chinese government. If you are interested, please PM me. We are always looking for teachers who want to teach, and would like to try living in China.

LRai

Topic: The US Constitution including early amendments is an anachronism - discuss
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2017 8:04:06 PM
I usually stay away from topics such as this...however I have been teaching the US Constitution in China to junior and high school students. I find the document is amazing in how it was constructed and for anyone who is interested I highly recommend a program Bill Moyers produced called, "In Search of the Constitution." It was a documentary he made in 1987 on the 200th anniversary of the document. He spoke to many Supreme Court Justices of that time. Listening to them gave me new insight as to why this document has survived and why it works so well.

By the way did you know that many other countries looked to us to form their constitutions, so why then would we look to them?

In Europe; France, Spain and Portugal, all looked at our document when writing their own. Latin America; Brazil and Venezuela, also looked to the US when forming their document. Africa; the country of Liberia fashioned their document upon what we have, and Nigeria was deeply influenced by our document. Most striking is the similarity to our document of the Russian constitution.

I truly feel that the men who wrote the Constitution crafted a fine piece that has withstood time because it was hammered out with great thought. It is a flexible document that has been able to bend. While it had some shortcomings in that it left out blacks, natives and women, all of those items were later corrected. At it's very core our form of government works, it isn't perfect but it works. If you have any doubts I suggest you try living abroad in a country without such "freedoms" and then decide which form of government you'd rather have.

Topic: Baby Boomers and Hep C
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2017 6:56:57 PM
Hope:

Thanks, I too have been doing a ton of research and asking friends who are doctors. As it's turning out I will have the blood test done and most likely in China as it's cheaper to do it here. However, it's also turning out that the liver question that was seen on the MRI needs an ultrasound done first. They don't think it's Hepatitis but they are not sure just what they think is wrong. Since it's a simple ultrasound test I will get that done soon. It may be that I've taken too much Tylenol or Ibuprofen which is showing up as something in my liver. Have no clue but better safe than sorry.

I agree with you that Hep C is most likely not genetic, but given the history and their lack of understanding of the cause for the virus it's always been a concern in the back of my mind.

Thanks again for being on top of things.

LRai

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.