Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 645
[0.08% of all post / 0.53 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: IELTS TASK2 Essay #1
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 8:48:53 PM
As this is your "first" essay and you plan to practice for one year...I don't think you will have any problems passing the exam. In fact if you can write like this already, you are doing fine.

I would be more interested in why you are taking an IELTS, how long have you been using English and what do you plan to do with it. There are many higher education institutions that NO longer require you take this test or a TOEFL because they have come to the conclusion neither is really a good indicator of success in college.

I wish you well and if you would like to know more..feel free to PM me. LRai

"Your life matters more than you will ever know, so live it well"
Topic: I'll let you hungry until you want to eat.
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2017 9:46:20 PM
Bihunsedap:

In my country that might be considered child abuse...

The proper way to say it would be:

"You can eat the noodles or remain hungry, up to you!"

That makes it very clear.

Topic: idioms used to angrily tell someone something
Posted: Sunday, October 08, 2017 9:38:13 PM
Dear acooperator:

Vulgar language in any "language" is just offensive. I am not sure what your native language is but I will ask you to consider if you would use vulgar language in your native tongue? If not then don't bother learning it in a 2nd language. If you wish to know it so you can avoid offending that's another matter...but to learn it so you can blend in??? Hmmm, maybe you need to consider it more.

I live in China and after 10 years of living here I've never needed or wanted to learn any Chinese words that are offensive. If I stumble upon one I quickly learn to delete it from my vocabulary. I also work hard not to use any expressions in my native tongue (English) that could be offensive.

I use idioms with my students, there are plenty of them that are not offensive. I encourage you to add those to your language learning and don't waste your time on learning phrases that offend others.

Topic: Las Vegas
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 7:38:10 PM
Hope:

I have sent you a PM reply

Topic: Las Vegas
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2017 5:18:55 PM
I live in China...no guns for anyone but police and military, however we do have mass murders...knives usually. So, if the rational is that if guns are gone the mass murders will stop...hmmm, hasn't been the case in China. BTW, most go unreported. The other weapon of choice here..the common car...yet millions of them are still on the road and growing each day.

I wonder if we can go to the root of the problem..people. Maybe the only way to really stop this madness is to have better mental health care, but heck what do I know. Whistle

My prayers for those who were part of this latest madness, and I hope we can get some answers as to why.

Topic: Kudos to Billy Joel
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2017 8:37:56 PM
Sometimes the best statement is unspoken...Kudos to Billy Joel

http://www.newser.com/story/247583/billy-joel-quietly-protests-neo-nazis.html

This is the link to the article...nothing more to say.

Topic: Kasha?
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 11:05:43 PM
Kasha varnishka...yum. I grew up with that too and it was a standard dish on a Friday night with a brisket. Ahhh memories...you could walk home on Friday after school and smell it throughout the neighborhood and know which homes were Jewish. When I went to Kazakhstan I quickly learned that kasha was the word they used for "oatmeal" not buckwheat, that was called grechka. When I asked for kasha I was shocked to be given oatmeal so I quickly learned how to say grechka instead so I got buckwheat.

This thread brought back nice memories...thanks :)

Topic: Old Keys Don't Open New Doors.
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2017 5:57:14 PM
Well it's a nice saying but not always true...I've known some old keys that indeed can open new doors..come to China and you'll find out.

BTW, I know of two times when different keys opened the same car door and started the car...this is a fact. I had a Saturn and so did my husband, both our keys could open each car, but his key could also start my car. We told Saturn and they told us that they only had so many key patterns so this was common. Scary really when you think about it.

As for the saying...yes, I agree that new concepts are important when facing any issue that appears to need a better solution. The definition for insanity is doing the same thing over and over yet expecting a different result. Given that, I encourage my students to think creatively and seek new ways to see old problems.

Topic: First woman president of the United States?
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 7:20:45 PM
There were similar events like that in China...there were also very strong women here who ran the country "behind the silk curtain" so to speak. The last one was known as Empress Dowager Cixi (or Tzu-his) who ran the country for 47 years. She was the one most Chinese blame for the fall of the Qing dynasty.

Women tend to take a bad rap when it comes to being in leadership role (don't shoot me that's my opinion!) Speak to the hand

As for, is the US ready for a woman president...hmmm, I will leave that for future generations to decide...some didn't think women were ready to vote, but it seems we've managed to do that right for nearly 100 years. Whistle

I look forward to the day when gender, age, race, social standing, religion or any other man-made barrier is torn down and we can all just see each other as humans who deserve respect and equality. I guess I must be asking for too much. I also look forward to a time when we don't have to qualify anything with the first woman to...whatever, or the first black person to.... or the first (fill-in the blank) and we just recognize the accomplishment period.

But I digress...

Silenced

Topic: Why American teachers quit their jobs
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 7:33:48 PM
Romany:

I believe you and I have much in common in many ways. I too don't think of what I do as "teaching" so to speak...I too find that I learn from my students as much as they learn from me.

Sorry to hear about your "fire" I would be lost if my files that I've kept for the last 10 years went missing or up in smoke. I have enough material for a book or two, but sadly no time to sit and write it.

I have however completed 6 coursebooks (done in one year) and now I've been consumed with teaching from them. I hope to hire my first teacher to train this year and once that is done I can ease off the full-time work and hopefully have some time to write again.

Life is a roller-coaster and since it has many ups, downs, twists and turns, it's best to ease back and enjoy it. Once the ride is over, you don't get a 2nd go round. I've learned to hang on and flow with it.

BTW, everything you've stated about the youth and the younger generation here in China is spot-on. They are becoming more informed and aware...it's an exciting time to be here.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.