Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 708
[0.08% of all post / 0.41 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: A funny quote about English spelling
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2019 4:14:23 AM
y lern 2 spll when we text and spll lk this N E way, LOL Brick wall

And we wonder why no one under the age of 50 can spell....hmmm.

"Your life matters more than you will ever know, so live it well"
Topic: What are you reading?
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 6:22:33 PM
Lazarius:

I still like to "feel" a book...I had an OLD ipod but when I came to China and lost ALL my books one time because I got so interested I forgot to charge when it told me to charge I decided the "real" thing was much better. I can't lose the book unless I forget where I put it. Tech can be good but sometimes it's not practical.

Topic: What are you reading?
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 11:38:58 PM
If you like Shogun, then try reading a lessor known book "Cloud of Sparrows" and it's sequel "Autumn Bridge" by Takashi Matsuoka, it's a little different in how it's written jumping from present, to past, to future but it's still interesting and very much a book in the same vein as Shogun.

I have a very long list of books I have enjoyed while here in China...

1. Team of Rivals (about Lincoln and his cabinet) good history and written well by Doris Goodwin
2. The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman
3. The Organized Mind by Daniel Levitan (I loved this book)

These are the last books I read in the past few months...

I will read just about anything I can get my hands on here because it's hard to find books in English, but if it deals with history I am really interested.

Two authors I like very much are Amy Tan and Lisa See, both are great storytellers about China.

Also some books just should be ready in their original language as some translations don't really capture the story well. I tried reading an English translation of a Chinese classic "Dream of Red Mansions" and it sucked.

I think that may have also been why I did not really like Anna Karenina, just never got into her character and actually by the time she jumps in front of the train, I was ready to push her.

Topic: UK Recognizes British Sign Language as Official Language (2003)
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 10:57:34 PM
The biggest difference for me is that ASL finger-spelling (alphabet) uses one hand whereas the BSL uses two. It seems a little more complicated in that respect.

I am sure there are more differences but I can tell you that watching different cultures use their own form of sign language has been very educational in so many ways.

I hope one day to learn more CSL (Chinese) sign

Topic: Writing an essay
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 10:45:34 PM
Dear Ataturk:

I think overall your essay works, there are a few issues with grammar but on the whole this would score well. While I am not going to correct the mistakes I do want to point out that for an IELTS essay you need to do three things,
1. restate the overall prompt...answering each "question" in your essay clearly
2. pick your side and don't sit on a fence trying to argue both sides...pick one and it doesn't matter which
3. wrap it up clearly...don't waste time doing that just conclude in a clear way.

Your essay sort of sits on the fence...and your conclusion is not very clear or strong. Those are the issues I see. Your language for the most part is fine and this would score well, in my opinion.

Topic: It's 2050 and this is how we stopped climate change.
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 6:37:59 PM
Dear Romany:

Thanks...you have stated your views well and with respect..thank you.

Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 3:24:07 AM
Progpen:

While I can see your POV and I am sure you are sure about it, I am not so sure. I am not sure GW is the cause behind all that is going wrong in our world and maybe it's just me but I think that would be naive to think such. I wish it were that easy to point a single finger at a single issue and say that is the cause...how neatly wrapped up. I believe our current situation is far more complex and more deeply rooted than just GW.

I would like to think that maybe the first step is to learn to be kind to others, easier said than done. I have never been someone who had to deal with racism until I came to China. BTW I am an old white lady, but being a foreigner in this country isn't easy. I face racism here but not nearly as much as other foreigners of color. Is that related to GW I don't think so...but then that's my personal opinion based on my life here. I believe I face it because the culture here permits it and because many people here don't know any better.

Please understand, I am not trying to engage in a deep debate about this...I don't want or care to change your mind...I am merely stating my POV and trying to be clear about it. Do I believe there is GW, maybe yes, but I also believe climate change is something that happens for many reasons. Do I think we need to rethink how we use our resources...yes. I do not believe we are very wise in how we manage limited resources. I do believe it's up to each of us to think about how we interact with each other and our environment so that both are respected. Those are my views, respectfully.

Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 11:35:28 PM
Like I said before I usually avoid these types of threads...however I just watched a really good documentary done by Peter Jackson on the anniversary of WWI, "They Shall Not Grow Old" It was really well done and I do recommend it for various reasons. Mostly I believe it poses the question we should ALL be asking, "What's the point of it?" That question isn't just about "war" it can be about most of the choices we as humans make that affect others in ways that are not productive to the greater good. Debate is fine, hatred is not. Think

Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 4:19:40 AM
I usually avoid threads like this...but 2050...hmmm, at my age that is a number I am sure not to see. At the rate things are going it's not climate change we should fear...it's mankind and what we do to each other. Before the climate wipes us out..I believe we will find a more effective way to wipe us out. If that mentality doesn't change then who cares if the world is warming or cooling?

Topic: eraser vs rubber
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 4:14:49 AM
Yes I found it confusing when I first got to China and they taught the children to say "rubber" (I speak AE) but after a while I got used to it. I suppose in a weird way rubber (condom) have the same meaning..both erase something...Think

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.