User Name: L.Rai
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 651
[0.07% of all post / 0.48 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Ford Mustang Debuts at New York World's Fair (1964)
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 6:43:01 PM
Oh the memories...my dear aunt had a 1965 Mustang that I loved to drive. It was my favorite car and I so wanted to buy it from her. Instead my parents bought me a Ford Pinto hatchback...nothing more need be said. I still miss that Mustang but I am grateful for the fond memories.

"Your life matters more than you will ever know, so live it well"
Topic: Babies learn what words mean before they can use them
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 7:45:45 PM
I'd love to read this article but when I hit the "more" it did nothing and took me nowhere. Can you post the link please?

Topic: Body English
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 1:27:03 AM
parpar1836:

Neither I nor my students are hearing impaired, however, I found using ASL while teaching ESL to be very useful. I even wrote a thesis on the subject and did several years of research on the topic. It seems that using ASL as a modality for teaching language acquisition helps students to learn the 2nd language faster, but only if the students are young and the teacher is consistent with how it's used. I wish I could say definitively as to why it works...but I do have data that shows it works.

If you wish to PM me I can tell you more.

Topic: Body English
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 7:11:16 PM
I am American, but I have never heard "body English" I have however heard "body language" which I use quite often when teaching English. I find using your hands and sometimes your body to act out what you want to say helps the other person to understand it. In teaching we were told to use TPR (total physical response) when instructing as it aids comprehension.

I have found using ASL in teaching ESL has helped greatly. Not sure if others are doing that but I've done it now for over 10 years and found it works great.

Topic: My mother passed away at 76.
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 7:04:36 PM
Not totally on topic...but here in China when teaching young kids who may not know the word "died" they instead will say, "game over" I found it to be rather cute...

I asked a small child once about his grandfather and he didn't know how to say "grandpa is dead" instead he told me "grandpa, game over" from that time on I've used this expression.

Topic: What is your go-to grammar textbook?
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 6:33:39 PM
My recent addition has been "Rules for Writers" 8th ed. by Diana Hacker and Nancy Sommers. This is the book used in the community colleges in CA for English 1A courses. It has grammar but also many writing tips and MLA, ALA information, which many foreign students don't seem to understand.

I can highly recommend it.

Topic: IELTS TASK2 Essay #1
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 8:48:53 PM
As this is your "first" essay and you plan to practice for one year...I don't think you will have any problems passing the exam. In fact if you can write like this already, you are doing fine.

I would be more interested in why you are taking an IELTS, how long have you been using English and what do you plan to do with it. There are many higher education institutions that NO longer require you take this test or a TOEFL because they have come to the conclusion neither is really a good indicator of success in college.

I wish you well and if you would like to know more..feel free to PM me. LRai

Topic: I'll let you hungry until you want to eat.
Posted: Sunday, October 8, 2017 9:46:20 PM
Bihunsedap:

In my country that might be considered child abuse...

The proper way to say it would be:

"You can eat the noodles or remain hungry, up to you!"

That makes it very clear.

Topic: idioms used to angrily tell someone something
Posted: Sunday, October 8, 2017 9:38:13 PM
Dear acooperator:

Vulgar language in any "language" is just offensive. I am not sure what your native language is but I will ask you to consider if you would use vulgar language in your native tongue? If not then don't bother learning it in a 2nd language. If you wish to know it so you can avoid offending that's another matter...but to learn it so you can blend in??? Hmmm, maybe you need to consider it more.

I live in China and after 10 years of living here I've never needed or wanted to learn any Chinese words that are offensive. If I stumble upon one I quickly learn to delete it from my vocabulary. I also work hard not to use any expressions in my native tongue (English) that could be offensive.

I use idioms with my students, there are plenty of them that are not offensive. I encourage you to add those to your language learning and don't waste your time on learning phrases that offend others.

Topic: Las Vegas
Posted: Tuesday, October 3, 2017 7:38:10 PM
Hope:

I have sent you a PM reply

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.