Number of Posts: 716
[0.08% of all post / 0.40 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: without using a time phrase
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 1:42:03 AM
onsen wrote:
L.Rai wrote:
short answer NO

Thank you very much, L.Rai, for your reply.

Do you mean that the conversation is not odd?

To answer that, yes, this is not an odd conversation...sorry I wasn't clear

"Your life matters more than you will ever know, so live it well"
Topic: without using a time phrase
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 12:28:29 AM
short answer NO

Topic: Eddie Adams (1933)
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 12:02:24 AM
one of two very iconic photos of the war in Vietnam that changed the course of it's history...some photos just stick with you for a lifetime, this is one of them....

Topic: One of my favorite words is lox
Posted: Sunday, June 9, 2019 1:52:36 AM
Dear TL Hobs:

If I only lived closer to you, I'd become your friend. Your Lox and Bagels make my mouth water....yum.

LRai

Topic: One of my favorite words is lox
Posted: Friday, June 7, 2019 11:05:17 PM
WOW how interesting, all I know is I'd kill for a good bagel with lox, cream cheese, tomato, onions and salty olives right about now.... Whistle

Topic: What is a 'doctor' in Traditional Chinese Medicine called?
Posted: Friday, June 7, 2019 7:02:43 AM
He or she would be called a practitioner of TCM.

Topic: Is learning a language a matter of a learner being smart
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 12:23:50 AM
Dear A Cooperator:

I will do my best but this really isn't something I'm used to teaching. I don't really know this structure but here's my two cents from a native speaker POV.

1. Is learning a language a matter of a learner being smart? You could say this sentence and the other person will understand what you mean. It's structure is okay (in my opinion).

2. Yes, it is a matter of a learner being smart. You could say this one as well. It would be better to say "Yes, it is a matter of THE learner being smart. I feel this would make it clearer as to what was being answered to the previous question.

3. Is it a matter of being ungrammatical or something else? This sentence doesn't make sense to me because it feels like something is missing and there's no clear context. I am not sure what is meant by IT in this sentence. If you were to clarify the IT in this sentence then it could work...so "Is failure to learn a language a matter of being ungrammatical or something else?" Now with this context it makes more sense, at least to me.

4. Is it being stubborn a good feature? NO this sentence is just not working...again you need more context for the IT and then maybe it can work. Maybe, "Is being a stubborn language learner a good attribute?" I changed the word feature because it's just too vague and you really need to be clearer on what is meant by IT. When you don't have enough context it can be difficult to know what IT is.

Not sure if this is helpful, but it's my contribution...LOL

Topic: Sorry to say, but...
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2019 12:33:31 AM
Dear Rnjb:

okay I will bite, I too was educated by the University of CA system and while I am a very "smart" person I sometimes can struggle to understand the "logic" with some websites. However this has never been one of them. On occasion points have been off or not work but the site doesn't take a PhD to navigate. Also I fail to understand why you had to sign up to use it. I have never had that issue. I can use the site easily even when I do not log-in so if all you wanted was to look up a word that would be very easy to do...put the word into the space provided and hit search. You can then look up that word in various ways including all the -onyms. I think if you provide more details to the moderators they will be able to help you..I have found them most helpful for most questions.

I hope you will not be deterred and try again. Maybe your computer was just having a "bad" day...

LRai

Topic: A funny quote about English spelling
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2019 4:14:23 AM
y lern 2 spll when we text and spll lk this N E way, LOL Brick wall

And we wonder why no one under the age of 50 can spell....hmmm.

Topic: What are you reading?
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 6:22:33 PM
Lazarius:

I still like to "feel" a book...I had an OLD ipod but when I came to China and lost ALL my books one time because I got so interested I forgot to charge when it told me to charge I decided the "real" thing was much better. I can't lose the book unless I forget where I put it. Tech can be good but sometimes it's not practical.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.