Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 2,266
[0.25% of all post / 1.41 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Frost Flowers
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 8:05:33 AM
This is amazing! We've had a few hot days in Sydney - it's only going to get hotter. I HATE SUMMER! Boo hoo!

Detail of (silky) hair ice ("frost beard")

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
Topic: Where does Santa Claus live?
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 7:51:26 AM
In Australia, we're told he lives at the North Pole. On Christmas Eve, there's usually footage of Santa leaving Lapland, within the Arctic Circle. Aussie kids aren't familiar enough with Arctic geography to ask questions. We also get news updates when he leaves New Zealand, which Aussie kids know is just across the ditch from Australia. The ditch is what we call the Tasman Sea.

Most shopping centres have a special mailbox for mail to Santa. Kids drop in their letters, with no stamp required. Australia Post advises that children should address their letters:
Santa
North Pole, 9999

Topic: The Giant Clam
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2018 2:02:42 AM
This picture shows a man eating clam. Whistle

Topic: Problems with article of the day and other links
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2018 3:56:50 AM
Problem still happening!

Topic: He who blinded by ambition, raises himself to a position whence he cannot mount higher, must thereafter fall with the...
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 2:28:52 AM
KSPavan wrote:
Quotation of the Day
?
He who blinded by ambition, raises himself to a position whence he cannot mount higher, must thereafter fall with the greatest loss.
Niccolo Machiavelli (1469-1527)

You never have anything to say, KSPavan! Eh?

Topic: René Magritte (1898)
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 2:27:29 AM
Daemon wrote:
René Magritte (1898)

Before gaining the support of a Brussels art gallery and taking up painting full-time, Magritte earned a living designing wallpaper and advertisements. His early works were in the Cubist and Futurist styles, but he soon embraced Surrealism. Dislocations of space, time, and scale were common elements in his illogical paintings, and he used certain images—the sea, the female torso, the bourgeois "little man" in a bowler hat—repeatedly. Why did art thieves return a stolen Magritte painting in 2012?

Answer: "The thieves handed back the painting because they were unable to sell it on the black market due to its fame."

He's one of my favourite artists, I just love his work! Happy Birthday, René!

Topic: The History of the Kilt
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 12:17:18 AM
Daemon wrote:
The History of the Kilt

Made of pleated wool and wrapped around the wearer's waist, the kilt is the knee-length, skirt-like garment worn by men as part of Scotland's traditional national garb, or Highland dress. Developed in the 17th century, the kilt is worn for ordinary purposes as well as special occasions. Highland dress is the uniform of Scottish regiments in the British army, and kilts were worn into battle as recently as World War II. What nickname did German troops give kilt-clad soldiers in World War I? More...

Answer:
Quote:
Many Scottish units wore the kilt in combat during the First World War. In particular, the ferocious tactics of the Black Watch led to their acquiring the nickname "Ladies from Hell" from the German troops that faced them in the trenches.

Q: What's worn under a Scotsman's kilt?
A: Nothing, it's all in perfect working order!

(As told to me by a male Scottish friend. Dancing )

Topic: Castrati
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 8:19:53 PM
Quote:
"Lovely singing voice, though. Eunuch!"
- (The great) Captain Jack Sparrow

Topic: sleeping policeman
Posted: Friday, November 9, 2018 10:45:45 AM
We used to call these silent cops. I've never heard the term sleeping policeman.

Topic: 1M club....finally
Posted: Wednesday, November 7, 2018 12:58:55 PM
L.Rai wrote:
Dear NeuroticHellFem:

WOW I can see that you have at least twice as many points...so yes, you are probably addicted, LOL Whistle

I wonder if there is a group we should start for those of us who are addicted to WOW and other features...not that it would help much...Whistle

Thanks for the call-out...I just wanted to mark my "right" of passage here...Dancing

Now I will work diligently to attain the next goal, 2M...if I live that long...

If you live that long? Achieving 2M is a sign of NOT having a life, LOL! Whistle

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.