User Name: Marek Guman
Forum Rank: Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 102
[0.01% of all post / 0.06 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: What we called for the slices of colour pencil?
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 10:27:26 AM
Thanks, definitely a sharpening is a more precise word. Not a very used word these days probably.

Topic: What we called for the slices of colour pencil?
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 9:54:36 AM
Yes, I was thinking immediately about shavings too.

shaving  (shā′vĭng)
n.
1. A thin slice or sliver, as of wood or metal, that is shaved off.

But a sharpening seems to be valid too, maybe less common though.
Topic: Treason?
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 3:53:05 PM
I'm very curious what will the FBI investigation reveal, there's even Wikipedia page about Trump's associates links to Russia now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Links_between_Trump_associates_and_Russian_officials
Topic: It is an unfortunate fact that we can secure peace only by preparing for war.
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 2:23:55 PM
Yes, that's just the way it is. The quote is much more interesting in the context of whole speech monamagda pasted here.
Topic: holy highwayman
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 2:04:28 PM
I must add that this was a wonderful detective work from thar.
Topic: Book Titles
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 11:10:32 AM
Bill Bryson: Down under

I have a few books by Bryson, I am not sure I have this one. Bryson's books are hilarious.

Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 7:20:29 AM
It is a beautiful metaphor, maybe a little sad too. Great auks went extinct because of massive exploitation by humans in the 19th century.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_auk
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 3:31:35 AM
Thar, that is a very plausible explanation. I found a book which the excerpt is from, it's Where the world ends by Geraldine McCaughrean.
This is the next section: "In his dream, her glossy black back was not soft with feathers at all, but a fall of young woman's hair, and from the ridged and hefty beak came song Murdina had sung, about trees and lochs and love."

He's in love, so of course, a woman he loves becomes a saint in his dreams. Pray
Topic: It would grossly vs it will be grossly
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2019 3:54:36 PM
Jigneshbharati wrote:
According to her, he is one of the most decent human beings she has ever worked with and she thinks that it would be grossly unjust on her part to speak
Which uses of "would" is used here? If we replace it with "will", what would the sentence mean?

Interesting story.
It is a conditional sentence with "would", she is reluctant to talk about it, because, like she said, she does not know all the details. It isn't future tense, because present tense is used in the first sentence (and not the past tense).
With "will" the sentence is in future tense, it means she will talk about it and it will be grossly unjust, as a matter of fact.
Topic: The Spleen
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2019 11:55:50 AM
Thanks thar, this is very interesting point of view. I don't know much about history of medicine, I thought the progress of medicine was held back by superstitious beliefs in the medieval ages, like prohibited autopsies and similar things. I don't know to what degree this can be ascribed to Greek heritage in European culture.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.