The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: Parpar1836
About
User Name: Parpar1836
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Collecting cobalt glass, jewelry-making, funky and antique things, books
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 321
[0.03% of all post / 0.19 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: One day a furious storm blew up, but she refused to get out of the pool. Something made her carry on. Then she realized that, as
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 9:13:48 AM
Maybe it's one of those "endless" pools in which the resistance of the water can be adjusted from calm to choppy. A pool, in this case, that has a mind of its own, and can behave in a stormy fashion.

Textbooks are (as best we can tell) written by humans, who are, after all, humanly fallible.
Topic: Have you ever heard these 25 obscure English words?
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 4:13:45 PM
I knew five (aglet, defenestration, tatterdemalion, phosphene, and bruxism), but we all just received a big vocabulary boost with a single post!
Topic: Upon finding his precious sneakers
Posted: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 3:41:36 PM
Good point, Romany.

Now that he had found his precious sneakers, Jeff felt immensely relieved and reverted to his normal daily routine. Next morning, while brushing his teeth in the bathroom, he gazed directly into the mirror. Raising his right hand, he pointed to the reflection, as though greeting an old friend he hadn't seen in a long time, and exclaimed, "Jeff!"

Hopefully, this eliminates any time-of-day confusion.
Topic: Is Jesus really exist in history?
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2019 5:35:28 PM
As best I understand, outside of the Gospels, there is little or no historical evidence of the existence of Jesus. Augustus Caesar, Caiaphas (Kayafos), Herod, and Pontius Pilate were all historical figures, but there is much in the Gospels that is non-historical. (And the four Gospels contradict themselves in key details.) There is much that's inexplicable. For example, Pilate asking the crowd whether to spare Barabbas or Jesus. I mean, really . . . would a ruthless tyrant solicit the vote of a mob? And the timing of the Last Supper . . . was it a Passover seder? JC gives his disciple money to buy food at a time when all the shops would have been closed for the holiday. And so forth and so on.

The passage supposedly written by Flavius Josephus about the wonder-worker is undoubtedly an interpolation by a later hand. It is not authentic.

I consider Rabbi Tovia Singer an authority on historical matters such as this. He has a Website, a radio show, and a series of DVDs, Let's Get Biblical.
Topic: Why do people use profanity?
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2019 3:27:21 PM
Well, bugger all!
Topic: This is dead end.
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2019 3:22:55 PM
I vaguely recall the Burma-Shave signs. But there are compilations of the complete series. One is The Verse by the Side of the Road. And I have a few of those inimitable verses jingling around in my memory!
Topic: The wall is too tall so you can't see.
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 2:10:38 PM
The parapet is too high to see over. (But that's not the simplest term.)
Topic: Upon finding his precious sneakers
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 10:29:27 PM
Now that he had found his precious sneakers, Jeff felt immensely relieved and reverted to his normal daily routine. As he was brushing his teeth in the bathroom as part of his getting-ready-for-bed preparations, he gazed directly into the mirror. Raising his right hand, he pointed to the reflection, as though greeting an old friend he hadn't seen in a long time, and exclaimed, "Jeff!"

I agree with Romany . . . no need to apologize for "grammatical blunders," unclear diction, confusing constructions, etc.
Topic: "In order to" versus "to"
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2018 1:24:01 PM
Thanks, all!

Romany, by the way, I've sent you a PM. It's not about grammar, but books.
Topic: membership of over one thousand believers.
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2018 1:21:16 PM
Yes, it looks fine.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.