The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: Parpar1836
About
User Name: Parpar1836
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests: Collecting cobalt glass, jewelry-making, funky and antique things, books
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 194
[0.02% of all post / 0.14 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: But Tim, did you not understand anything I told you?
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 2:15:43 PM
"But Tim, haven't you understood anything I've been telling you? Everything you tell me sounds suspicious, just weird, and honestly makes no sense. I can't rule out that someone from the beyond came to visit you, perhaps a relative of yours, but you must understand that this is an extremely remote probability. It just doesn't happen to most of us. Many times we give ourselves subconscious suggestions and see what we want to see."
Topic: acting in movies or movie acting
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 2:08:58 PM
Words of wisdom, Romany!
Topic: give their money back
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 8:58:15 PM
"I will refund their money."
Topic: need your help to translate
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 8:56:34 PM
Bryce and Sam cleaned the fish, which may be the most disgusting food-prep sight I've ever seen. Mom also kept her distance, and asked Sam to triple-bag the catch so the whole boat wouldn't smell like a fish market. Bryce was excited about having fish for dinner, but I swore I was going to find a Subway.
Topic: Solicitors?
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 3:45:06 PM
I daresay I love those signs! The yellow one employs cheeky British humor.

LL
Topic: What he says is trustworthy.
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 11:03:06 PM
What he says isn't credible.
What he says isn't believable.

What he's saying isn't credible.
What he's saying isn't believable.

He's not a trustworthy source.
Topic: I don’t agree I stole the money.
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 10:05:43 PM
I deny that I stole the money.
Topic: Barrel organs of Paris
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 9:42:32 PM
My recollection was that the guide wasn't talking about the composer, but about the instrument. The American "tourist" is curious about the street music, the barrel organ (or whatever) that's playing merrily, and she tells him what it is. The music fades as the two presumably pass out of range.
Topic: Barrel organs of Paris
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 10:38:42 PM
Decades ago, I listened to the first of a set of records designed to teach yourself French—which included a native French-speaking woman (who, of course, spoke English too) guiding a novice (an American man) through the streets and vocabulary of Paris, teaching him in a companionable way. (I'm not sure if my father had the complete set or just the first record. I think they were 33-1/3 rpm LPs.) There were snippets of appropriate background sounds. The part I remember most vividly is when the pair encounters a barrel organ (a distinctive street instrument of Paris; it sounded rather like an accordion to me) on a Parisian street. Just after and the man asks what that is, there's a bit of delightful allegro music—I still remember the melody. The guide replies, "The bizet?" At least that's what it sounded like to me. It was a short word of two syllables. I played and replayed this segment, trying to get the word right, but I was left puzzled.

When I checked Google Translate and James Boielle's 1913 French and English Dictionary (posted online at archive,org), I found several possible translations of hurdy-gurdy, barrel organ, and street organ in French. I found orgue à manivelle, orgue de rue (street organ), orgue de Barbarie (barrel organ), vielle à roue (hurdy-gurdy), and orgue de fête (fairground organ) . . . none of which sound like bizet.

So I figured I'd post a query here.
Topic: I will sleep early.
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2018 9:41:42 PM
I'm going to hit the sack early tonight.

I'm off to bed early tonight.

I'm going to conk out early tonight.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.