User Name: Peter O'Connor - Dundalk
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 369
[0.04% of all post / 0.26 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: It seems that a man is meant to live only one life in this world. When he tries to live a second, he develops another nature.
Posted: Saturday, July 7, 2018 3:21:43 AM
Can't agree with this. I've lived many lives, some forced upon me. I'm told by those close to me that I haven't changed, as a person.
Topic: The wood is gone.
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 4:34:22 AM
I wonder if in Scots dialect it's ok to state that 'the gangplank is gang'?
Topic: Up or Down
Posted: Saturday, June 2, 2018 6:39:40 AM
As regards the table - either are applicable.
Strangely though we lived in Dundalk just a few miles from the occupied area and exactly between Belfast (my father's city) and Dublin (no connection whatsoever) we would talk about going "Up to Dublin" south of us, and down to Belfast which was northwards. Yet down-to has (for me) a warmer and friendlier feel!!
Topic: Massive 205-million-year-old ichthyosaur fossil discovered, 'one of the largest animals ever'
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 6:11:36 AM
I was down there 2 years ago - drats I missed this! Brick wall
Topic: do one's best
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018 7:27:42 AM
It's simply a polite way of saying 'good luck'. Which some take offence to, as they have actually worked hard and don't need superstition to help them. One could equally say: 'I'll offer prayers and wishes'. Equally mindless rhetoric. Whistle
In the theatre one would say "Break a leg".
Topic: Cambridge Analytica Exposed !!!
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 5:07:49 AM
Thanks for this.
Topic: a lot of the old Victorian buildings
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 4:49:01 AM
Using the the in the sentence gives a sense of place. Without it, one gets a sense of time/history.
Topic: acronym
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2018 5:26:01 PM
Yes
Topic: Can I replace "he" with "his car"?
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2018 6:09:06 AM
Either is fine. I'd drop the 'high rate of speed' for a rate of speed or high speed or simply .. at speed.
Topic: Are native speakers concerned with stresses on words when speaking?
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 6:20:48 AM
We in Ireland literally pull our hair out when Americans (mostly US) mangle Irish names by stressing the wrong letter or syllable d'oh! but what's even worse in now some Irish persons are using Americanisms emphasising the 'h' in words/names when in Irish/Gaelic it's silent and suppresses consonants around it. Pray

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.