User Name: Allan Fernandes
Forum Rank: Newbie
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 21
[0.00% of all post / 0.02 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: All truly great art is optimistic. The individual artist is happy in his creative work. The fact that practically all great...
Posted: Friday, September 01, 2017 12:57:18 PM
Who said tragedy is a sign of pessimism? Nah, sometimes tragedy is what the world needs to get to a better status quo. Yes, depicting life as it is is a virtue, and we all need that information, that reality check so as to feed us with purpose. When things show up undisguised, there's nothing left but gratitude, optimism and happiness.
Topic: By indignities men come to dignities.
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 11:36:57 AM
I believe he meant something else entirely... By working under distressing positions one learns values to be carried along in life, which will eventually help them in whatever (thus the "comes the dignity").
Topic: I describe not men, but manners; not an individual, but a species.
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2017 1:51:55 PM
While referring to men, it is prudent to analyze traits in an impartial fashion, in order not to succumb to the old and unfortunately common temptation of giving more importance to superficiality and outer layers than it ideally should. Yes, judging people takes too much effort for a propitious outcome, which convinces me of the fact that the wordplay in question was chosen not by coincidence. Similarly, looking things from a broader perspective entails more acuity and some historical/anthropological elements. That’s what I believe what the author meant back then with
Quote:
“I describe not men, but manners; not an individual, but a species.”
Topic: Swaddling
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 8:47:56 AM
Once the baby is able to move any limb or do any gesture that the wrap might otherwise hinder. No wonder such practice is "age-old" #notcool
Topic: The almighty dollar, that great object of universal devotion throughout our land, seems to have no genuine devotees in these...
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 7:56:00 AM
@Ndanusa probably the author was referring to the villages yet to be conquered or the ones which had recently been found. Their customs compared were conflictual in many points, as stated.
Topic: No enemy is worse than bad advice.
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2014 7:46:28 AM
Advices may be misleading and utterly damaging since the one who receives them believe at first they are trustworthy, which in turn may prove otherwise. Logical :D
Topic: One story is good, till another is told.
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2014 9:59:02 AM
He's probably referring to the shallowness and superficiliaty of modern impressions
Topic: To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost.
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 7:01:29 AM
BS
Never seen so egocentrical statement from any french novelist like that. Maybe his personal story might've led him to affirm that but still, totally disagree
Topic: There is nothing like a dream to create the future.
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 7:58:11 AM
First the blueprint (dream), and then the building (future project).
Topic: Vices are their own punishment.
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2014 7:38:01 AM
Sound words. Vices bring nothing to the one still indulging in them. Their very presence is a sign we still have a long run ahead 'till we erradicate'em all

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.