Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 51
[0.01% of all post / 0.03 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Невозможность общения.
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2014 6:55:59 PM
Hi! Could you please check the following text?

Невозможность общения.

В рассказе бытовая ситуация.Герой рассказа гуляет по городскому парку.Героиня сидит на скамейке.Она читает толстую книгу.
Они встречаются в городском парке. Два героя незнакомы.
-Они говорят о том, что видят пока они гуляют по вечерней аллее.
Например, они говорят о звёздах, птицах, бабочках и о цветах.
Герой рассказа говорит о конкретных вещах, а героиня говорит об абстрактных объектах.
-Героиня говорит книжным языком (она использует научный стиль), а речь героя ближе к разговорной.
Его речь больше соответствует ситуации общения.
- В рассказе конфликт состоит в том, что герой хочет познакомиться с героиней, а героиня только щеголяет своей эрудицией.
-По моему мнению, девушка читала энциклопедию.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Topic: blue-collar (worker)/ white-collar (worker)
Posted: Saturday, November 1, 2014 6:38:17 PM
Hello! I have an odd question. I know that in English, you say "a blue-collar worker" and "a white-collar worker".My question is "is it possible to say "a blue-collar" and "a white-collar" without "worker"?"
Thank you in advance for your help.
Topic: What do native speakers think of the use of "savages" in these 4 sentences?
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2014 8:44:36 AM
Thank you all for your precious answers. Applause Boo hoo!
Topic: What do native speakers think of the use of "savages" in these 4 sentences?
Posted: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 12:34:26 PM
Thank you! Yes, I am aware of their derogatory connotation, I was just interested in their grammar.
Posted: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 11:57:24 AM
Hello!
I want to thank Romany and tunaafi for making me aware that it is better to post fewer sentences in order to obtain a reply. I apologise again.

1)According to the Western World, Africans are born savages.
2a)The Western World depicted (portrayed/described/perceived) Africans as savages./(Passive form) Africans were depicted (portrayed/described/perceived) as savages by the Western World.
3a)Africans were written off as savages by white people./ (Active form) White people wrote Africans off as savages.
4a)White people deemed Africans to be savages./(Passive form) Africans were deemed (to be) savages by white people.

In a previous post, a non-native English speaker told me that in these sentences the noun "savages" is wrong. What do native speakers think about this? I am sure I have read the noun a lot of times.Now,I am officially confused. :-(
I apologise for posting these four sentences again.
Topic: Are these 2 examples OK?
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2014 8:56:09 AM
Hello!
Could a native speaker tell me whether these sentences are grammatically correct?
1)According to the Western world, Africans'practices were savage.
2)According to the colonizers, Africans' practices were primitive.
Can I say "Africans'practices" to mean "the practices of Africans" or "African practices"? Are the examples fine in general?
Topic: Could you please check these sentences?
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2014 7:16:13 AM
Romany wrote:
Got -

I think the reason no-one has answered is because you have posted so many questions!Eighteen!!

Most of us respond to questions in our spare time. It's not our actual job, so we don't often have the time to spend lots and lots of time on a single post - that would mean we couldn't respond to other posts. Unless, of course, we have heaps and heaps of spare time. (And then, personally, I would rather do something else than sit inside at a computer!!)

I am sorry. In the future, I will post fewer questions.
Topic: Could you please check these sentences?
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2014 7:54:28 PM
Hello!
Could you please check these sentences?

1)Could you please tell me whether it is OK to say that?
2)Could you please tell me which the correct sentence is?
(In a question the order of the subject and the verb of a subordinate clause does not change, so "it is" an "the correct sentence is".Is that right?)
3)My cat looks like John's. (My cat looks like John's cat.)
4)My cat is similar to John's.(My cat is similar to John's cat.)
5)My cat looks like his.(My cat looks like his cat.)
6)My brother looks like John. (If I said "My brother looks like John's", the sentence would mean "My brother looks like John's brother." )
7)My brother is similar to John.(My brother is similar to John's.>>>My brother is similar to John's brother.)
8)My brother looks like him.(My brother looks like his.>>>My brother looks like his brother.)
9) I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I have been looking for this kind of answer for three months or so.(Is the Present Perfect Continuous fine? Is the sentence fine in general?)
10a)He wrote off the pupil as (being) stupid.
10b)He wrote the pupil off as (being) stupid.
10c)He wrote him off as (being) stupid.
10d)He was written off as (being) stupid.
(Is it possible to use being between "as" and "stupid"?)
11)I know the basics of French and German.
12)My French and German are basic.
13)My name is Jake, not Jack.
14)All cats are animals, but not all animals are cats. (Is this sentence both logical and grammatical?)
15)I don't get paid for answering your questions.
16)I don't get paid to answer your questions.
(I have found both 15) and 16).Do they have a different meaning?)
17a)I have read that both expressions are possible, hence my question:are they always interchangeable?
17b)I have read that both expressions are possible, thus my question:are they always interchangeable?
17c)I have read that both expressions are possible, therefore my question:are they always interchangeable?
18)Africanspractices (or the practices of Africans or African practices. Are they all OK?)

Thank you in advance!

Topic: Are these 16 sentences grammatically correct? (Part 1)
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 3:15:12 PM
Hi!
Could you please tell me whether these sentences are grammatically correct?
1a)Men are judged as shallow by women./1b) Women judge men as shallow.
2a)Men are thought of as shallow by women./2b)Women think of men as shallow.
3)We are all born shallow.
4)According to the Western world, Africans are born savages.
5a)The Western world depicted (portrayed/described/perceived) Africans as savages./5b)Africans were depicted (portrayed/described/perceived) as savages by the Western world.
6a)Africans were written off as savages by white people./6b)White people wrote Africans off as savages.
7a)White people deemed Africans to be savages./7b)Africans were deemed (to be) savages by white people.
8a)White people depicted (portrayed/described/perceived) Africans’ practices as savage./8b)Africans’ practices were depicted (portrayed/described/perceived) as savage by white people.
9a)Africans’ practices were written off as savage by white people./9b)White people wrote Africans’ practices off as savage.
10a)Africans’ practices were deemed (to be) savage by white people./10b)White people deemed Africans’ practices to be savage.
11a)Africans were depicted (portrayed/described/perceived) as primitive by the Western world./11b)The Western world depicted (portrayed/described/perceived) Africans as primitive.
12a)Africans were written off as primitive by the Western world./12b)The Western world wrote Africans off as primitive.
13a)The Western world deemed Africans to be primitive./13b)Africans were deemed (to be) primitive by the Western world.
14a)They depicted (portrayed/described/perceived) Africans’ practices as primitive./14b)Africans’ practices were depicted (portrayed/described/perceived) as primitive.
15a)Their practices were written off as primitive./15b)They wrote their practices off as primitive.
16a)Their practices were deemed (to be) primitive./16b)They deemed their practices to be primitive.

Thank you in advance for your patience!

Topic: Is the "possessive case" correct in these 2 sentences?
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 8:08:32 PM
Hello!
Are these sentences grammatically correct?
1)Your explanation is good, but not as good as James’(s).
2)I read Dante’s main works. I found them original, but not as original as Shakespeare’s.

As far as example 1) is concerned, I do not know whether I have to add the “s” or not; I have found different ideas on this subject and apparently there is not a clear-cut rule.

P.S. Off-topic question: Can I say both “There is not a clear-cut rule” and “There is no clear-cut rule”?
Thank you in advance!

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.