Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 3,803
[0.48% of all post / 3.70 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: jesus'
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 7:05:39 PM
keepyy wrote:

you have said to yourself, who can pull me down. though it seems among the stars, i? will pull you down, i will bring you down who pride in his heart, who can bring me down to the ground?

Would you care to explain that?

Far away is close at hand in images of elsewhere – The Master of Paddington.
Topic: Congratulations, Fair-Minded Readers!
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 5:32:57 PM
TheParser wrote:
Dear Fair-Minded Readers [...]

You are fair-minded people

Well, people who are, in your opinion, fair-minded, would tend to be fair-minded, in your opinion.

Quote:
When President Trump was asked yesterday how he felt about this news that showed that he was right in believing that he had been bugged, the President replied: "I very much appreciate the fact that they found what they found."

When President Trump was asked yesterday how he felt about the news that there were still a few people who believed the formulae spin=facts, pro-Trump opinion = news and anti-Trump news = fake news, the president replied, "I very much appreciate the fact that they found what they found."

Quote:
congratulations to you for being fair-minded people who wait for the facts.

My congratulations to those who do actually wait for the facts.

Topic: Non-finite clauses/phrases
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 5:53:54 AM
Audiendus wrote:

I would call "being" a participle, not a gerund, in these examples.

Just to add to the fun about phrase vs clause, many modern grammarians (eg, Quirk et al (1985), Huddleston and Pullum (2002) do not distinguish between gerunds and participles.

Topic: If God exists, then who created HIM?
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 7:13:24 AM
Fabiano K wrote:
Evolution explains some facts, but isn´t able to explain the origin of the universe.

How many times do we have to say that evolution and the origin of the universe are two entirely different topics?

It would make no difference to the theory of evolution if it could be proved conclusively that a deity created the universe; nor would it make any difference if it could be proved conclusively that there was no deity.

Topic: Reasons to Vote for Democrats
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 4:19:49 PM
FD wrote:
rather than take what is said literally, one use a little common sense, reason and logic, to understand what is meant.

The idea that it is the responsibility of generals, admirals and everybody else to use their common sense, reason and logic to decide what the Commander-in-Chief's words mean is truly terrifying.

"But hell, I'm 100% sure that the President smirked when he ordered us not to nuke North Korea. All of us four-star officers agreed that he did, and that he really wanted us to drop at least 50 megatons on the bastards. Hell, that's what any right-thinking person would want! That's what common sense, reason and logic told us."

If the leader of any large organization cannot say unequivocally what s/he means, then s/he is not fit to hold that position. When that person is the leader of the United States of America, s/he must take full and sole responsibility for the words s/he utters.

Anything else we are talking about is trivial compared to that.

Truman was so right when he said "The President--whoever he is--has to decide. He can't pass the buck to anybody. No one else can do the deciding for him. That's his job." The buck stops here.

Topic: Scientific Answers From A Creationist Perspective
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 1:01:35 PM
will wrote:
Dreamy.

You’ve simply ignored, again, Romany’s clear explanation of why your understanding how a scientific theory differs from ‘anyone’s best guess until proven as fact’.

Epiphileon wrote:
It baffles me how this interpretation of the nature of scientific theories persists. There are many theories that consist of a great many proven facts; however, we understand that we may not have all the facts that account for the phenomenon being described and therefore the "theory" is open to modification. That is why they are called theories, not because they do not describe evidential knowledge.

Quite.

Unfortunately, no matter how many times evolutionists explain what scientists mean by 'theory', creationists cling desperately to the idea that a scientific theory is 'only a theory' (best guess), and that any other guess deserves to be considered equally valid.

Topic: Could you tell me if what I wrote is correct and makes sense?
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 12:48:37 PM
I prefer to think of the main types of conditional as:

Factual Conditionals - The speaker presents the ‘condition’ as a fact:
If you heat ice, it melts.
If it rained, we stayed indoors.
This is the traditional zero conditional. It can refer to present or past time.

Predictive Conditionals- The speaker presents the condition as a real possibility; The situation presented in the if-clause may happen, but it may not:
:If it rains tomorrow, we’ll call off the walk.
This is the traditional first conditional with reference to future time.

Hypothetical Conditionals - The speaker presents the condition as imaginary. Its possibility is accepted, but seen as remote: I would stop work if I won the lottery.
This is the traditional second conditional with reference to future time.

Counterfactual Conditionals - The speaker presents the condition as something that has no existence in reality. It did not happen, or is not happening:
If Paul hadn’t got the job, he would have moved to America.
If Paul were here, he would agree with me.
If I hadn't gone to university, I wouldn't be where I am today.
This category includes the traditional third conditional with reference to past time, second conditional with reference to present time, and the mixed conditional with reference to past and present time.

Note that If you heat ice, it will melt has the form of a first conditional, but it is factual. The speaker is asserting certainty.

When we were married, I would always cook dinner if my wife had to work late.
has the form of a traditional second conditional, bur it is factual. The speaker is reporting what did happen.

The advantage of these categories is that the names tell us what the message is about. The disadvantage is that they are not widely used. Learners who use these labels may still encounter, and need to know what is meant by, zero, first, second third and mixed conditionals.

Topic: There are good teachers and there are GOOD teachers.
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 12:18:32 PM
'Learnt' is fine in BrE.

Topic: Unbeknown
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 11:03:39 AM
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
If you understand the word and how it is used, it doesn't )matter what you call it

Hear, hear!

(I wonder what part of speech each 'hear' is in that expression.)

Topic: For Fair-minded readers: Were Donald Trump's offices wiretapped?
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 8:49:45 AM
TheParser wrote:

Even President Trump's supporters agree that his language is often not too precise.

That's a teeny-weeny bit worrying when you think that he is Commander-in-Chief of the most powerful military machine in the world.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.