The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Profile: Priscilla86
About
User Name: Priscilla86
Forum Rank: Advanced Member
Occupation: Architect
Interests: Language
Gender: Female
Home Page
Statistics
Joined: Wednesday, May 28, 2014
Last Visit: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 4:45:47 AM
Number of Posts: 763
[0.10% of all post / 0.76 posts per day]
Avatar
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Forcing It
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 4:44:37 AM
Hello, FounDit!

You are not wrong. The solution comes from the client who knows the operation of his factory. The dimensions he specifies do not meet authority's requirement but we can still apply for waiver (to have subpar facility) if the client can prove it can work.

I'm trying to find a more diplomatic way of saying the client is pushing / forcing it. I'll say "unworkable" is unacceptable in the polite atmosphere in this office. I even tried using 'makeshift' - the most polite word I could think of to describe the solution - and it was rejected.
Topic: Expiry Date
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 3:47:53 AM
thanks, thar! And welcome, dkfennell!
Topic: Sake
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 3:43:42 AM
I just learned something interesting and I thought I'd share it here.

I went to Japan recently and found myself at a sushi restaurant one night. I wanted to order sake and since I didn't speak the language and the waiter only spoke limited English, I kept my words to the minimum and said to him: "sake?"

He brought me the list - all in Japanese - so I just pointed blindly to one of the items. He then said "Okay, one beer," and I said, "No, sake." He looked perplexed for a moment but then had a light bulb moment and pointed to a section on the list and said, "Japanese sake."

I thought nothing of it until last night I read about sake and found out that "sake" actually means "liquor" in Japanese. Outside Japan, it is understood that when you order sake, you mean the famous Japanese rice wine but in Japan itself, "sake" can refer to any alcoholic beverage.

Furthermore, the beverage referred to as "sake" in the English-speaking world is usually called 'nihonshu' (meaning Japanese liquor)in Japan. No wonder the waiter said "Japanese sake" which I thought was weird because I assumed the "Japanese" part was implied.

It's amazing how one could do ungodly amount of research before a trip and still managed to miss something as fundamental as this one.

This got me thinking of other words which have been corrupted in similar fashion. "Cheongsam" and "Bahasa" come to mind.

I have to admit I didn't know "cheongsam" was not the term used in China to refer to the well-known Chinese dress until Romany wrote about it in another thread.

And it irks me whenever someone uses "bahasa" to mean the national language of Indonesia. "Bahasa" means "language" so it could be anything. One jarring example is in Indonesian beauty pageants where the host would ask "Do you want to answer in English or Bahasa?"

That's literally asking "Do you want to answer in English or Language?" The only acceptable answer to that question is "No. I'd like to answer in a series of grunts like a caveman."
Topic: Forcing It
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 9:17:00 PM
Hi!

What's a proper / another term for 'forcing it'?

We were brainstorming about a problem and came up with several possible solutions. I have to tabulate them and list the pros and cons. One of the solutions is really forcing it. Basically, the dimensions don't meet the authority's requirements and the user will have to make a lot of compromise when using the space but yes, it can help with the problem.

"This solution appears to be forcing it because it does not meet the the authority's requirements and the good practice standard observed by the industry"

Thank you!
Topic: Expiry Date
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:56:31 PM
Hi!

Let's say I have a bottle of shampoo. Someone asks me when the shampoo's expiry date is and because the brand just launched mid last year, I make an assumption that it should be a while before it's expired. What do you say to the person?

Q: When's the expiry date?
A: The brand just launched mid last year so:
1) I think it should be a while.
2) I think it should be quite long.
3) I think it should be much later.

Do these answers sound natural? If not, what does?

Thank you.
Topic: Cultural Appropriation
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2017 11:27:53 PM
will wrote:


The problem is not what the white model is dressed in, it’s the fact that she has been made up in ‘yellowface’.


Was it really a yellowface, though? The model (Karlie Kloss) has always looked...how shall I put this...non-conventional to me. She's pale and she has what some call 'hooded eyes' so she's white but she doesn't have that characteristic occidental deep-set eyes like Angelina Jolie's, for example. In her early modelling years before I knew who she was, I always thought she was a mix of white and Asian.

To me, Vogue played up the model's paleness because that's what Geisha beauty aesthetic was (pale alabaster skin), not because they wanted to turn her Asian. It probably looks like a yellowface to some because for American Vogue's usual demographic, the aesthetic is a little different. They're more used to see white models with more colors on their faces, probably glowing with a little tan, a little bronzer and blush here and there.

Furthermore, - and this is purely conjecture - perhaps Vogue was really using Japanese cosmetics when making up the model? I've found that most popular Japanese face powders to have this texture and finish that always make me look unnecessarily pale, even when they're supposedly 'transparent.'

My point is, I think sometimes, as Romany said: "in the West, people tend to get their knickers in a twist needlessly over cultural differences." My problem is not with people's desire to be culturally sensitive, my problem is with the accusatory tone some would readily fling when they see people donning something belonging to other culture without trying to find out what's really happening. It would make people feel on edge about anything related to culture and they may choose to forgo cultural talks entirely for fear of being seen as insensitive idiots, and that's a real shame.


Romany wrote:

As to wearing clothes from other cultures? I do. I have a couple of beautiful sari's, I had a lovely collection of Chinese-fusion as well as traditional clothes, I wear sarongs, lap-laps, meri-blouses,Thai fisherman's trousers etc. etc. I also love wearing the traditional Chinese dress erroneously called a 'cheong san' in the West. (can't remember how they spell it). My Chinese students at first asked me why I sometimes wore one and I said because it was graceful and beautiful and celebrated Chinese culture. By the time I left they were no longer an uncommon sight on campus!

It's very common for emerging cultures to experience 'cultural cringe'. Why, Australia did so right until the 1980's! And it led to some pretty daft decisions. I expect it's like a human being becoming a teenager and trying to find their own identity. Once cultures are certain of who they are, just like a young man or a young woman, they start to settle into their own skin.

When the Australian government became PNG's Protector before Independence, this was anticipated. The drift to the city, the desire for 'better' things, the introduction of modern technology: it was obvious that the younger generation would go through a period of rejection of their own culture as old-fashioned. Which was another reason the college in Moresby was set up to bring in the older traditional craftspeople to teach and pass on their skills and crafts so they weren't lost in the transition. PNG has now settled into its skin, but had it not been for the foresight of the Administration, they would have lost too much of their culture to recover.

Oh, and Somari, our First PM (and our 8th?) declared every Friday National Dress day. And everyone - Chinese, Papua New Guinean, Australian,Canadian... - all had to follow his lead and wear the ubiquitous meri-blouse, lap-laps and sandals. Local print and fabric outlets shot to prominence, too!

I have found that, in the West, people tend to get their knickers in a twist needlessly over cultural differences. Usually they are, as I guess you will have found, too, people who haven't really experienced other cultures? I've always found that if you treat everyone with the same kindness and humour (yeah - and curiosity), they very rarely mistrust your motives.And when in doubt - ask!


All of the above are very good points. And I can't think of anyone who won't benefit from a good sense of humor!
Topic: On The Election of Donald Trump
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 11:19:57 AM
Every time he pulls this kind of stunt (especially whenever he's lashing out on his perceived detractors on Twitter at 3 am), I always think of what Stephen Colbert said: "He knows he's won, right?"
Topic: Wise Words On How to Deal with 45th
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 11:03:14 AM
Romany wrote:

Am glad I'm not alone with my opinion of Trevor N.being a real cutie. My son - whom I watch him with - just doesn't see it. Wonder why?)


Someone's jealous, methinks Think Whistle

progpen wrote:
Both these people are "lefty furrners", so already have 2 strikes against them.


What does 'have 2 strikes against them' mean? I'm not familiar with baseball terminology (or any sports-related terminology for that matter. I'm afraid I'm such a terrible female stereotype in this regard)
Topic: Cultural Appropriation
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 10:56:04 AM
Sarrriesfan wrote:
Priscilla86.
You might be intrested in reading up on the Highland Clearances and the aftermath of the failed Jacobite risings..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_Clearances
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobite_risings

The Scottish clans were seen as a threat to the stability of the English and Scottish thrones, which later beavme the unified British one, this lead to their suppression.
It's one of the reasons that many Scottish people moved away to other parts of the world, to places like Canada and Australia.


Thank you, Sarriesfan!
Topic: Wise Words On How to Deal with 45th
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2017 5:42:14 AM
Romany wrote:

Please tell me Trevor Noah on The Daily Show is also on the list? When things are just getting soo completely Disc World/Dystopian/surreal I find that me old mate Trevor (he's from South Africa) somehow manages to restore things to a manageable perspective and make me laugh.

If you don't know Trevor N just click on a couple of his clips on youtube. You'll feel comforted - and you'll have a grin on your face, too! (Plus - and this may only be me - but I find him quite easy on the eye, too!)


Yes, he's on the list, and he *IS* an eye candy :) (I know he's from South Africa but for some reason I didn't think of you Think That's funny coz when I think of Charlize Theron, I think of you Whistle

These shows help, don't they? A couple of weeks ago SNL was doing the usual sketch with Alec Baldwin as T. He called Steve Bannon to the oval office and a grim reaper showed up while an ominous music started to play. I swear I fell off my chair laughing.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.