Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 12
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Deaths in France vs deaths in Nigeria
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2015 2:14:44 PM
Part of the reason might be because France has closer ties with the USA and is a little more well known, but I think it's really because France hasn't suffered an outright serious terrorist attack in many years, whereas Nigeria has been in much violence. Another reason might be because the attacks in France were tied or representative of an attack on freedom of speech. But I think media is also beginning to talk about the devastating massacre in Nigeria as well, and this all contributes to the global need to fight terrorism.

"The Night has a thousand eyes, the Day but only one. Yet the light of the bright world dies, with the dying sun."
Topic: is it good english
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2014 4:05:29 PM
I think the title is perfectly fine. It should just have capital letters: "Retirement Without Borders" , because that is how titles are most usually written.
It doesn't matter whose trying to be polite or not, it's grammatically fine. It just needs capital letters as already stated in the very first reply.

"The Night has a thousand eyes, the Day but only one. Yet the light of the bright world dies, with the dying sun."
Topic: pounder
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 11:38:35 AM
I believe that there are two best possible answers for this. The first would have to be a gun, though it is strange that the news article does not mention weight. Normally, you would see it written as a "eighteen pounder" or "six pounder" with some sort of number before it.
The second would have to be any object that you could "Pound" or hit someone with. This might be the case as it is said that the pounder was bloody. However, it is also strange that the news article does not chose to further elaborate on what the object is.

Topic: for as a conjunction
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 11:25:51 AM
You are right marksman, the phrase "But for" in this context does mean: "if it were not for" or "if not for". The "for" in the sentence doesn't serve to act as a conjunction. You can think of it as shortening the phrase "But if it were not for" to "But for".

Topic: writing Christmas cards
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 8:11:34 PM
Thank them for sharing their knowledge and time. Maybe talk about how they influenced your view on English. And as always, wish them a happy holidays.

Topic: Don't tear off the clothes
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 6:27:17 PM
You can say: "a/the piece of clothing" or "one piece of clothing". You have to use a measurement word such as "piece" and singular articles such as "a" or "the", otherwise clothing will be plural. You can also say in a more casual manner: "a top" to refer to whatever you are wearing on your upper body.

Topic: Help with metaphor, please.
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 6:23:20 PM
I actually really don't think this is a metaphor, I think the sentence is just describing the "Palace guards" in a really flowery and wordy way.

Topic: Haiku Fun
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2014 6:35:32 PM
I'll tighten that nut
Until it becomes too tight
We can't loosen it

Topic: mudball
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 10:36:36 PM
It's really just a name calling word. For fun

Topic: CORRECTION DE MON TEXTE
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 10:10:14 PM
Boujour Veuch Rouge. I know a little French, but I am a native English speaker. Your English is really good! Applause A few things:
1. "Yoghurt" should be "Yogurt"
2. I'm not sure what "agrifood" is supposed to mean.
3. Instead of "assumptions" you could use: "experiments. So you would have to say "We made several experiments"
4. The plural form of "mold" is actually still "mold" . English is weird d'oh!
5. "Valide" should not have an "e".
6. "Finnally" should be "finally"
7. Instead of saying: "fruit could keep yogurt" say "fruit could preserve yogurt"
8. "the ph homemade yogurt is of 3" should be "the ph of homemade yogurt is 3"
But overall, this is really well written! I hope that one day my French will be able to reach your level! :)

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.