Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 570
[0.06% of all post / 0.36 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: play with fire
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 3:14:46 PM
Thanks a lot for the response, Drag.

♥ Get into the habit of considering the feelings of others before you react to circumstances around you. ♥
Topic: fly the coop
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 3:13:32 PM
Thanks a lot for the reply, thar.

♥ Get into the habit of considering the feelings of others before you react to circumstances around you. ♥
Topic: fly the coop
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 3:06:10 AM
fly the coop
: to leave suddenly or secretly : to escape or go away
In the morning the suspect had flown the coop.
All their children have flown the coop. [=have moved away from home]

In these two examples, "fly the coop" is not used in the past tense. Is it true that the idiom is usually said in the past tense? Does "How to cope when kids fly the coop" sound strange to you?

Topic: play with fire
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 1:39:09 AM
play with fire

My example sentences:
- I'd advise you not to date a man that you don't know anything about. That's playing with fire.
- My grandma's doctor told her that anyone who bungee-jumps off the Eiffel Tower at her age is playing with fire.

Do you see any errors in my sentences?

Topic: Phrasal verbs
Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2017 11:17:14 AM
Are there any phrasal verbs that you think most non-native English speakers don't know?

Topic: Go with your gut
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 1:13:37 PM

Thanks a lot for your response, Drag!

Topic: breather
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 12:24:09 PM

Thanks a lot for your reply, Drag!

Topic: meet up
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 7:22:32 AM
Thanks a lot, sureshot!

Topic: breather
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 7:08:58 AM
This teacher says that "Yes! I need a breather!" sounds more natural as a response to "The negotiation today is really tough!" than "Yes! I need to rest!" does. Could you tell me why?

Topic: Go with your gut
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 6:59:27 AM
- go with somebody's gut
- go with somebody's instinct

Do these two mean the same?

Here's an example of "go with somebody's gut":

Here's an example of "go with somebody's instinct":

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.