Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 511
[0.06% of all post / 0.41 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: jewel-hilted mouths
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 2:08:16 PM
Hello Dragon and thank you!

I got your point about the conservatism of that time. Although it does seem strange to me that the British people, the nation which at all times wanted to have a finger in everyone's pie, should take such an attitude towards travelling.

I remember when I was a schoolboy, 1997 or something, the Geography teacher once told us about the Aral sea, and how it was fed by the two rivers with the funny names: Amu Darya and Syr Darya. The second one always had for me some "cheesy" feeling about it, as if there flowed curdled milk instead of water. Syr/[сыр] is cheese in Russian. I don't remember the teacher to have said that there was something wrong going on there. I think he just said that the water of those rivers was used to irrigate the abutting fields. Maybe his information just was not up to date. Anyway the brunt of the changes seems to have happened during some twenty years since that lesson. I could have gone there every year and seen the whole sea dry away with my own eyes. Too sad.
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 6:16:11 AM
Hey again Romany! I hope my missives didn't start bothering you. The thing is I've read "The Wind In The Willows" as was your advice, and I want to say thanks to you for expediting my meeting with that book. It is adorable. It seems I have not read this kind of books in ages. The books where every one is so sweet and kind to each over. I was always expecting until almost the end that someone's leash would finally snap, and they would become angry, and mean, and nasty. But no - there never happened anything of the sort. Although it seems to be a children's book, where little wild creatures live in houses, wear clothes, talk and behave as if they were people, I think it is too long, and its language is not at all that childish to be properly called so. I think it was written for both children and adults, so that children could breeze through the certain difficult places, and still get their nice little story about those endearing little creatures. As for aldults, I think they could also be expected to see in this book a kind of social satire on certain people's character flaws. And for both children and adults, it certainly provides a couple of moral beacons, which might help identify something unbecoming in their own characters and maybe even rid of it.

Just one little question I have for you, or for that matter for every one who ever read the book, and is willing to enter the discussion. That episode when Rat meets another rat, the one whose life is one never-ending voyage. He becomes strongly allured by the sailor's stories, and upon his departure enters a state of trance of a sort, and he goes home and starts packing up to leave for good. And then Mole comes along and intervenes. He shuts Rat up in his house, and keeps him there until his mania safely works itself out. And then the story goes on as if all this never happened. From all this the reader have to deduce, I suppose, that it was the right thing that Mole intervened and Rat never departed. But I can't quite understand why is that. What was wrong about Rat's going a voyage? Maybe Rat would indeed have been better off if he had gone; maybe it was indeed the right thing for him to go to see the world until he still could, rather than stay all his life in one place. Maybe Mole by his intervention ruined his friend's last chance to have something to reminisce about in his later days. Yes, Rat liked his river, and his house, and the quiet routine of his life, but is that all one needs to live their life through? Isn't there a chance to find a better life? Or does one simply not need a better life, and can't find one as long as they are happy where they are?
Topic: Sneaker Being
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 1:51:52 PM
Vanya Popovich wrote:
Gordon Freeman wrote:
Hey, is that what you are up to in Kiev now? Worshipping footwear? I see the coup and the integration with Europe came off real good!

I am Russian, But even here I Have to listen this "Russian Patriots" trash talk. Серьезно? Даже здесь ты будешь обсирать украинцев? И что плохого в сникер-культуре? Гораздо лучше чем поклоняться Путину и другим псевдо-Царям.

Hello Vanya, and welcome to the forums!

Are you always so touchy? Or do you really care to prove something to me? This is the Internet. There are lots of crazy people here - you can't gag everyone's mouth. Don't let any one ruin your experience. So you'd better remember why you came here in the first place, and tell us something about that sub-culture of yours. Did you notice that no one understood your question?You see, people here are very obliging, but you have to make your point clear, so that they can help you. Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but I have a cynical sense of humor, and why should it bother you anyway. You have to grow your skin thick like a hippo's ... or mine.
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 8:40:39 AM
IMcRout wrote:
Happy you can put in (sorry for the bad pun) your opinion here freely, Gordon?
I suppose it is more about he sneaky way Russia took over Crimea and supplied a few pro-Russian rednecks with their weapons. Silenced

Hey, IMc, please don't get sore at me! I don't bear them any animosity, and I didn't take Crimea from them too. It was a bitter irony, not a jibe. See, we used to be good neighbours if not brothers with many of them, and look what a mess we've got now. Besides, I never closely monitored what's going on there because I'm afraid of being brainwashed, so I can't really keep up any kind of serious conversation on the subject, let alone refute anything any one might say.
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 6:24:38 AM
Hey, is that what you are up to in Kiev now? Worshipping footwear? I see the coup and the integration with Europe came off real good!
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 3:37:23 AM
Yeah, Romany, this is an outrage! Just like too many things I ever read, listened, or watched about India and China. So many contrasts, so many absolutely bizzare and outlandish things about those countries. I remember I listened to a few of BBC's podcasts about how the rural population of mainland India treats their women. About how they learned to predict the sex of a yet unborn child, and how this is offered now at every corner; and the whole flood tide of abortions this technique triggered, because no one wants a girl, at least as a first child, because of the copious dowry a family has to collect for the daughter to get her married, which all goes to her husband when she leaves her folks as she goes to live with her husband's family; and all the violence they are traditionally subjected to there - being regularly beaten by her mother-in-law, raped by her husband's unmarried brother - and the shocking statistics of how many young women were burnt alive in their kitchens near their stoves as if by an accident; and what an unenviable fate awaits a woman if she is unlucky enough to outlive her husband; and how every woman may be caught in the crowded street in the broad daylight, beaten and raped by every man who finds it necessary, and who would be scot-free for sure, because such actions are looked upon by the general population and even authorities as an innocent little thing, because it's easy to understand that due to the newly created imbalance between the amounts of the men and the women - women are so hard to come by nowadays. And all this in the country where in the major cities women drive cars and wear expensive business suits, and their president it seems - or was it a prime-minister I don't remember - is a woman.

As to China, I remember watching a few programmes which left me particularly impressed by the deep contrasts in how the people live in different parts of China. One was about a boy who had for several years worked on a polluted soil and died of cancer on his weeping father's arms. Another was about a woman who lived to be 117 in some mountain region of China, virtually never in her life going down, always breathing clean mountain air and chewing on some kind of local fresh leaves and grains.

Also comes to my mind the programme where they told about how so many young people from the rural areas formed into long lines before the gates of the plant where the devices for the Apple Inc. are assembled to vie for the priviledge to work on the assembly line there: sixteen-hours shifts, six days a week, for a couple of dollars a day, and a 7-sq.m. room with bunks and some 3-5 mated and no windows as an accomodation. And another one about well-off middle-class Chinese families, who own plush suburban houses, whose only child goes to a private school and a dozen other places in order to grow smart, healthy and successful.
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 6:48:14 AM
Quote:
I had no idea!! (The first one, I mean) It's vast. It's more like a lake than a river...no wonder it's called the "Mighty" Volga.

Romany,

There were times when it was not that abnormally wide, because it is by no means nature's design. My father who is sixty-eight was then a boy of ten or thereabouts. He told it was much better then, the water was cleaner and ran faster, and there used to be great many various living things in it - I never tasted what crayfish is like, and he said all you had to do to have one was to lower your arm in the water and take it. Even aquatic mammals such as beavers and otters used to live there. It flooded in the spring, and when the water was gone, it left various silt and debris, which made the grass there grow especially lush, which was a paradise for cattle. And then all was gone. Some people decided that the country and the economy needed a lot of cheap electricity, and they built Volga Hydroelectric Station, which eventually resulted in what some experts call an ecological catastrophe. They permanently flooded vast areas of floodplain and beyond, forcing many villages (and even some pretty large towns such Cheboksary, which was rebuilt higher up nearby) to cease to exist. No more beavers, no more crayfish, no more sturgeon and caviar - even common fish became scarce. What we have now is those massive reservoirs of stagnant water and several power stations enough to power a few dozen giant Soviet-era industrial plants, but mostly used to power a 60W bulb in our closets.
Topic: Death? Why this fuss about death? Use your imagination, try to visualize a world without death!...Death is the essential...
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 1:40:15 AM
Death would be nearly tolerable if it always came in good old age and were swift and painless. But the sad thing is that it is often not the case - death is often quite painful and premature, and goes hand in hand with such unpleasant things as cancer, AIDS, other lethal conditions, acts of violence, plane crashes, car accidents and so on.
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 12:33:14 PM
Hey Romany!

Here is where I live, the two most prominent landmarks.

1. The President's Bridge - the new one. The building of which was started in the early eighties, has suffered many setbacks until was finished some 5 yers ago.
A little to the right from the centre of the photo you can see Paltcinskiy Island - so called because its outlines resemble a human's finger.
I and my elder brother, we would make incursions there in our inflatable boat. As you can see the Volga up there becomes staggeringly wide - up to 20 kilometres.

2. The Emperor's Bridge - the old one. (Oh - It seems like there's a human lurking in the greenery) I cross it to and fro almost every day.
Here is the Vogla in one of its narrowest - mere 3 kilometers. See that group of white nine-storey condos next to the far end of the bridge - I live right behind them.

Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 8:02:28 AM
Thanks Romany for your references - I will definitely give it a go! I am a land-locked person, if there ever was one - I never saw the sea and tasted salty water. But on the upside of things, I've been living on the shores of the Volga for all of my life, from the water of which I draw my daily jolts of health: open-water swims, bracing and rejuvenating cold and ice baths. I've been working on my two-beat freestyle and making 4-5 km per day this summer. So a big enough river or lake may serve as well as the sea I guess.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.