Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 6
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: cocksure
Posted: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 11:56:32 PM
A "cocksure" male who is ALSO sensitive and understanding: MUST BE A NEW BREED OF HUMAN!
Topic: escritoire
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2017 3:49:37 PM
Escritoire: No derivative of this word was posted. It appears to be Romanic. I would guess French; certainly not of English origin, nor is secretaire. However "escritoire" was not corrected by spellcheck but "secretaire was". I suppose I will go to the Dictionary to find the origin and derivatives. That's my 2 cents Eh?
Topic: The most happy marriage I can imagine to myself would be the union of a deaf man to a blind woman.
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2014 6:14:20 PM
Shame on you Obviously a quote before women were allowed higher education, and esteemed equal, now reads absurd.
Topic: Men marry because they are tired; women because they are curious. Both are disappointed.
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 11:50:42 AM
I can't grasp why this man continues to be quoted. In a world in such dire need of promise; of hope; of romance in love, let us decide to seek quotes that evoke those feelings. Why not? We have everything to gain and nothing to lose but gloom.
Topic: Such
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 7:09:17 PM
towan52 wrote:
It's a bit stilted, but "such nice weather" is correct. For example "Such nice weather we're having this week". It could be construed as a question, but would certainly be rhetorical.

"Such" is one of those words, like "So", used in an incomplete, therefore incorrect way. Because of that, it is usually used to create a grammatical emphasis that is not a true emphasis. For example, to use such correctly, and necessitate its use: "It is such nice weather we are having THAT I suggest we go for a long walk". And, to use "so" correctly and necessarily, you would have to, also, use it in a sentence like this: "That puppy is so cute THAT I just want to pick her up!". What usually happens with such and so is that they are used without reasoning. Like the original quote about the weather, you often hear: Oh that is SUCH a cute puppy! So the sentence is actually left "dangling". Many words in English are used incorrectly so often THAT it becomes "normal" or "falsely correct" to use them that way. d'oh!

It has been going on for so long THAT English teachers are not able to explain what is wrong. (Do you see my three (3) "compound" sentences where I have capitalized the word THAT, which appears to connect two (2) complete sentences? Yet, the first part of the sentence is NOT complete until you "explain" or "give a reason" for using "such" or "so". If you look at those two (2) words alone, you can see that their only purpose is EMPHASIS. But it is not TRUE emphasis until you explain why it is "sooooo..." or "suuuu...ch". The words are SHORTCUTS when they lack reason or explanation.

I suggest, if you are an adult, to learn GOOD English by reading older books, when grammar was often correct. However, authors of old (especially fiction) used hacked up English to create, as it were, a backdrop, so that the reader could "picture" the "what, where, why and how" of their creation. Now they make movies, giving you the whole package, stimulating all five senses. This is another reason that the, once beautiful language, is corroded. Even if you have to read a Biology book (which I would find exciting), instead of fiction, you would likely be reading correct English. The worst thing about the mutilation of English is that it makes it more difficult for ESLs to learn. I, for one, am sorry for that. BTW: I almost used another one of those so and such words: EVEN "makes it even more difficult..." (THAN... would be the connecting word to the reason part of the sentence. Do you see? Applause
Topic: Most interesting field of medicine
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2014 5:44:49 PM
Bring back NEUROLOGY!

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.