Home Page http://www.eurotraductions.com/
Statistics
Number of Posts: 17
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: She deceived/cheated me
Posted: Tuesday, July 1, 2014 5:41:54 AM
Hi DragOnspeaker,

great examples, now I can spot the difference.

Thank you!
Topic: Grammar check ..
Posted: Tuesday, July 1, 2014 5:07:37 AM
Just for the more technical part: "I-café MB and Harswel CPU (non Refresh)"

maybe you meant ICAFE and Haswell, if you're referring to a motherboard and CPU, respectively.

Cheers
Topic: She deceived/cheated me
Posted: Tuesday, July 1, 2014 4:59:12 AM
Is it ok to say "cheat on someone" when we speak about a relationship, and "cheat someone" when we refer to a fraud? With this on mind saying that a magician is cheating us is maybe too strong?

Topic: jumper, sweater and pullover
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 2:41:22 PM
I tried to look on the net and after reading the following discussions:

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/27568/whats-the-difference-between-a-jumper-a-pullover-and-a-sweater
http://www.englishforums.com/English/JumperPulloverSweater/hlrwx/post.htm

I selected the answer I find more appropriate (for US English):

Jumper: In the UK this just refers to an garment you wear over your shirt for warmth. It doesn't have buttons, and it pulled over your head.
In the US this has a completely different meaning. It is a type of girl's dress, a top, with attached shorts basically. (Google will be happy to show you images.) It has a kind of "little girl" sense to it kind of like pinafore, however, for sure adult women wear them too.

Sweater: In the UK this is the same as a jumper, a garment you wear over your shirt, with no buttons, and is pulled over your head.
In the US this is a similar item, however, a cardigan with buttons can also be called a sweater in the US.

Pullover: again is a garment you wear over your shirt, pulled over your head. The meaning is the same in the US and UK, but it is a pretty uncommon word in the US.

Hope this helps.
Topic: kein vs nicht
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 10:39:34 AM
Yes, and it seems very useful, thank you :)
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 10:30:50 AM
Dear Tatsiana,

I didn't write any examples because I was referring to some exercises from memrise german course (Learn Basic German by claudia_london). I'm at very basic level and I still have difficulties in reading german-only websites - that's the main reason for posting in Deutsch-English forum.

Best wishes
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 9:03:59 AM
Hi all,

I'm trying to understand when it's more appropriate to use kein and when nicht. I realize that both are used for the negations but I make mistakes when solving some basic grammar exercises.
Topic: to be redundant
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 8:59:32 AM
Thanks salesh2010, short and simple :)
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 4:38:40 AM
Great, I got it now!

Thank you both your kind replies.
Posted: Monday, June 9, 2014 3:41:51 AM
Hi,

just recently I heard the expression "to be redundant" in the context of a job loss.

Is it normally used to indicate any job loss or just in some particular cases?
Are there any synonyms for it?

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.