Forum Rank: Newbie
Statistics
Number of Posts: 24
[0.00% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: munificent
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2014 7:51:15 AM
so contrasting to Maleficent!
Topic: To him who is in fear everything rustles.
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:45:15 AM
what do you call a man in a pile of leaves? hahhahahaa Applause
Topic: effulgence
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 8:26:27 AM
cool word, I love any word with double 'f'!!
Topic: I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is...
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 3:42:32 AM
I also have no faith in human perfectability. But that doesn't mean the doom and gloom of the rest of the quote. I wonder how his wife died... It seems she was very young. What a crazy life this guy had!
Topic: demagogue
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 3:30:58 AM
It's not about what you know, it's about who you know. Boo hoo!

AND

Elections are more of a popularity contest Dancing than simply being about whoever can do the job best.

Don't tell me Speak to the hand that's not still happening today! haha
Topic: A friend is a second self.
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 7:58:16 AM
actually I think it's the opposite of selfish. you develop your own self and extend opinions and your mind through your friend. through a friend you contact more people. it's like, you have your own values and you could be selfish and only ever think on those and promote those, or you could listen and grow through a friend and have a whole second side of yourself. a place where your heart beats outside your body. I'm not sure if I'm explaining what I mean rightlyd'oh! , but perhaps someone can abstract from this some notion of unselfishness? :)
Topic: Being born in a duck yard does not matter, if only you are hatched from a swan's egg.
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2014 12:16:03 PM
A different thought altogether... is it just me or is the first article more biased than the one from the 'great soviet encyclopedia' which they always advise might contain biased information? the first article says something along the lines of 'the true colours of his genius'... (sorry, I lost the memory of the original wording of it as I was typing). Fair enough that he was a literary genius, but it certainly seems colourful to write it like that in an encyclopedia entry...? What do you think?Eh?
Topic: Being born in a duck yard does not matter, if only you are hatched from a swan's egg.
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2014 12:13:05 PM
yes, it might mean that. infact I like your understanding of it better than what I got from it: something about standardised testing; like if you put an octopus and a cat underwater and test them on what they are able to do with the block puzzle that you've set up for them... or if you assess everyone on their ability to climb, including a fish, they feel inferior. You might be one of the beautiful swans, but you're being judged poorly if you're brought up in a ducks' nest. Something you can apply to everyone in life.Pray

Actually, if you change the order of 'if' and 'only' from his sentence, you get my meaning I think. But in the order they're in, you get your meaning. I think it kind of judges though. It makes it seem like ducks are somehow worse than swans... which I'm not sure they are. Not talking

The order of the words is interesting though because it could be a translation issue??? Think
Topic: freebooter
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2014 12:04:57 PM
genial! that's more difficult than the word of the day... here, it means 'great'..Anxious
Topic: The most successful career must show a waste of strength that might have removed mountains, and the most unsuccessful is not...
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 2:09:44 PM
Which is the tragedy?

and on a further note, the article about this guy needs a few references.