User Name: KMPageau
Rank Member
Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 58
[0.01% of all post / 0.05 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: "sempiternel" - In this context, what could this be in English?
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2014 3:50:10 PM
... uh, I dunno. I'll think about this, though. Thank you.
Topic: "et à bien meilleur marché" -and- "de les mener de front" - English?
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2014 3:47:24 PM
Thank you!
Topic: "du cabotage" -and- "le port de ralliement tout désigné" - is this tourism, or shipping? English?
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 4:07:43 PM
Hi there.

I'm using Systran to translate a long document (for personal interest) which has a couple of sections with a lot of what looks like financial and socio-economic terminology. I can fix up most of the rough English, and I do read a lot of French, but I don't know financial terminology really at all. I may be over-cautious with some terms, but I just want to double check. Help would be appreciated. I will put the target phrase in each case between slashes. If you notice anything else wrong that I am not seeing, please let me know. Thanks.

p. 119

Surtout si l’on tient compte ///// du cabotage, ///// dont il serait inconcevable de ne pas nous réserver l'exclusivité le long de nos côtes et pour lequel la capitale est ///// le port de ralliement tout désigné. /////

Especially if one takes account ///// of the coastal traffic, ///// whose exclusivity it would be inconceivable not to reserve for ourselves all along our coasts and for which the capital is ///// the port of rallying very indicated. /////
Topic: "prolongement des centres scientifiques" - "prolongement" in English?
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 4:05:41 PM
Hi there.

I'm using Systran to translate a long document (for personal interest) which has a couple of sections with a lot of what looks like financial and socio-economic terminology. I can fix up most of the rough English, and I do read a lot of French, but I don't know financial terminology really at all. I may be over-cautious with some terms, but I just want to double check. Help would be appreciated. I will put the target phrase in each case between slashes. If you notice anything else wrong that I am not seeing, please let me know. Thanks.

p. 118

Not sure how to deal with "prolongement" in this one:

Un projet en particulier, qui fait son chemin peu à peu, viserait à concentrer dans la capitale un substantiel secteur de recherche capable de servir de pivot à ces industries de technologie avancée qu'on trouve invariablement dans le ///// prolongement ///// des centres scientifiques. C’est ainsi que Boston a pu s'assurer une véritable renaissance.

One project in particular, which is making headway a little at a time, would aim at concentrating in the capital a substantial research sector able to be used as a pivot for those advanced technology industries of which one invariably ///// finds in the extension of scientific centers. ///// In this way, Boston has been able to ensure for itself a real renaissance.

Topic: "et à bien meilleur marché" -and- "de les mener de front" - English?
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 4:02:47 PM
Hi there.

p. 118

En termes d'emplois, une telle réforme administrative va bien plus loin, ////// et à bien meilleur marché, ////// que toute politique de décentralisation industrielle, même s'il est entendu qu'il faut s'efforcer ////// de les mener de front. //////

In terms of employment, such an administrative reform goes much further, ////// and with cheaper good, ////// than any policy of decentralization of industry, even if it is understood that it is necessary to endeavor to ////// bring them forward (carry them out). //////

Topic: "régime de travail" - Could this be "work regime" in English?
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 4:01:28 PM
Hi there.

p. 117

Anybody know what this means:

Le ///// régime de travail ///// et les conventions collectives du secteur public devraient d'ailleurs être élargis au personnel municipal.

The ///// work regime ///// and public-sector collective agreements should be extended to municipal personnel.

Note: I've worked for labor lawyers, but I've never heard of this term "régime de travail". What does it imply?
Topic: "où" - Is this a typo in the French? Should it be "ou" and thus "or" in English?
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 4:00:02 PM
Hi there.

p. 115

I think there is a typo in the original French, but not entirely sure:

Dans l'économie nord-américaine //// où //// même l'économie nord-atlantique tout entière, un centre d'industrie et de services de cette taille n'est pas négligeable.

In the North-American /// or //// even the whole North-Atlantic economy, a center of industry and services of this size is not negligible.
Topic: "tous les moyens d'étude" - Help! English?
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 3:58:28 PM
Hi there.

p. 115

I'm thinking in franglais here, I could use a little help:

Nous sommes conscients qu'il nous faudra, pour le mener à bien, ///// tous les moyens d'étude ///// et les dossiers complets dont seul dispose un gouvernement.

We are conscious that to successfully carry it off, we will need ///// all the means of study ///// and the complete records which only a government has.
Topic: "même l'amorce d'un vrai démarrage n'est pas une mince besogne" - How's my English attempt?
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 3:56:54 PM
Hi there.

p. 115

How's this?

Après tant d'années d'immobilisme, ///// même l'amorce d'un vrai démarrage n'est pas une mince besogne. /////

After so many years of opposition to progress, ///// even the start of a true beginning is no mean feat. /////

Topic: "changements majeurs et des plus improbables" in English?
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 3:55:40 PM
Hi there.

p. 115

A moins de ///// changements majeurs et des plus improbables /////

Unless there are ///// major and more improbable changes /////

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.