Interests:
Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 80
[0.01% of all post / 0.05 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Muse - Thought Contagion
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2018 3:57:21 AM
Hope123, I haven't heard of that fact about the relationship of coffee and Java, but I'll keep it in mind ;)
I know it won't be easy and I am not sure if I'll be able to learn programming or not, but I want to give it a chance 'cause I'm interested in it - for now, at least :) I'll see if my enthusiasm will last long enough to achieve my goal.
What language did you start to learn?
Posted: Wednesday, October 3, 2018 5:08:41 PM
Yes, we use 's' the opposite way - wa spell it like your "sh" when it stands alone, and when we want to use it as your 's' we put a 'z' behind it :) Well, I wouldn't say our 'a' sounds like your 'o' - actually, I think there is no English equivalent for that sound. Hungarians can spell most of the English vowels and consonants more or less correctly (we have many letters in our ABC!) but there is a consonant we usually have trouble with. It is the sound 'th' - either in "math" or "the", both version is unfamiliar to us. We try to spell it as a mixture of 'f' and 's' in the first case, and we say something like 'd' in the second. And we also dislike your 'w' because we only know 'v', so when we come across a word with a 'w' we usually say a simple 'v' - even though we know it is like a very short 'u' :)

Yes, I've finished that book. It was hard enough to translate so I didn't accept the second volume... I don't have that much time for one single task. I've put translating aside for a while, I have another business nowadays - I learn some other kind of language called Java ;)
Posted: Wednesday, October 3, 2018 4:31:33 AM
Yeah, the dʒ sound is like the Hungarian "dzs", and the ʒ is like our "zs". But that certain word in that certain song lacks for both :)
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2018 12:58:04 PM
Romany wrote:
teregudi -

to me it sounds exactly as you have described it and, if I didn't know what the word was supposed to be I too, would have had to find out!

Remember that vocals are laid down on top of the sound - which may also comprise over-lays and fx. Perhaps when the final mix was made the vocals were affected by the electronic under-lays which resulted in that "ess" sound. If we were to hear the vocals as they were recorded and before they got laid down it would probably sound quite different and the word would be clear.

Thank you for your confirmation! I'm glad to read I'm not the only one who find that word a bit odd :) Your theory sounds plausible, maybe it's the mixing of different sound effects that distorted that word. After all, the singer really is able to say contagion normally, I've heard it myself :)
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2018 5:47:07 AM
Thank you for your thorough replies! Maybe it's something like the Laurel-Yanny phenomenon, you must have heard that record on Youtube. I hear a slightly different word from "contagion" but you say it sounds totally fine. Maybe I should ask the singer himself :D
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 3:58:00 PM
Since I didn't find a pronunciation topic I decided it fits best here. No one has answered my repeatedly asked question below the video and I'm very curious now.

So here's this Muse song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ_3S-IQm38

Why does he sing the word "contagion" so oddly? Instead of "t" I hear an "s" and instead of "g" I hear a "t", as if he said something like "consaeton". I've asked a few people (Hungarian people) and all of them agree that it sounds strange. I've even watched a video where Muse talks about this song but they say "contagion" correctly in that video. And no one seems to notice this thing based on the comments below the video. Why's that? Do I have some problem with my hearing? Please help me to understand this thing.
Topic: Blue Remembered Earth
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2017 6:30:35 PM
Drag0nspeaker! I knew I could count on you :) You were a great help again, thank you for that! Without your able help this translation wouldn't be the same ;) All hail Drag0nspeaker!
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2017 8:07:14 AM
Hey, guys!

I promise this will be the last time when I bother you with silly questions about this book. It's almost done. Please, help me cross the finish line.

‘Processed ice, of course. Water, most likely, although it doesn’t have to be. Boosted at high gee in a magnetic cradle, followed by a shove from ablative pusher lasers once it’s cleared the launcher. The lasers do most of the work. They can steer the package for quite some distance after launch by applying off centred ablation. What you saw there was a vapour trail: the package’s own steam rocket exhaust.’

He talks about ice packages launched from an asteroid by lasers. The last sentence gives me the impression that the packages have rockets attached to them. But it doesn't make any sense. These are just ice packages, nothing more (said the raven...). Or am I wrong? Maybe the author just compares the vapouring trail of ice to the exhaust of a rocket?

The thing was a golem. He could tell that much as it came around the curve. It was humanoid, but it moved with the manic, limb whirling energy of a gibbon, the quadruped gait too rhythmic and choreographed to look entirely natural. It was tumbling head over heels, yet maintaining impressive forward momentum. Only when the golem neared the door did its movements settle into something more plausibly organic.

I feel a contradiction here. The golem's move is rhythmic and choreographed first, then it is described as "tumbling head over heels"... What? Am I missing something?

‘I’m but one facet of the artilect,’ Eunice said, ‘and I was only activated after you had already established your credentials. Until then, Lionheart was guarding itself, as it has done for more than sixty years. If certain autonomic vigilance protocols acted with excessive zeal… then you must forgive me.’
‘If you’ve read my memory, you’ll know that you killed one of us,’ Geoffrey said.
‘I didn’t pick that up,’ Eunice said, and for a moment there was something like contrition in her tone. ‘It must have happened very shortly before the scan. The memories hadn’t had time to cross the hippocampus, to be encoded into long term storage. If there were casualties–’

That is a usual figure of speech in English? So she actually begs for his forgiveness? Or she really commands him to forgive her?

‘Something’s definitely changed. Maybe it’s you, maybe it’s me.’ Jumai looked up and down the hall, holding her tongue as a proxy strode past – not one of the household units, Geoffrey decided. ‘Look, I’ll only say this once. Being here isn’t normal for either of us, and I’m not one for funerals at the best of times. But when I get back to Lagos, will you come over and spend a few days? I mean, work permitting.’

What does she mean? She's not fond of funerals (what a surprise...) or she is not "suitable" for funerals?

‘She spoke to me once,’ Sunday replied, ‘about how it would feel to just keep going. To never go home again.’ She paused, trying to call her grandmother’s exact words to mind. ‘Until Earth was just a blue memory. What I didn’t realise was… she meant to do it.’
She could still be–’ Geoffrey began. But he caught himself before the sentence was out.
Sunday nodded. He didn’t need to say what he was thinking. She was thinking the same thing herself.
She supposed the only way to know for sure would be to go out there. To catch up with that impossibly distant thing and see what was inside it.
A sleeping lion, perhaps. Senge Dongma.
Jitendra said, ‘I think it’s time.’

There should be only one reasonable thing he wanted to say, but I'd like to be sure about it because that unfinished sentence is a bit odd for me. They are talking about Eunice who was believed to be dead at the beginning of the book, but then it turned out that she had never lived at that place where they thought she did, and she had left the solar system long time ago. Does Geoffrey want to say that she might be dead anyway, even if she didn't die when they thought she did? I hope I was clear.

Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 4:15:49 PM
Okay, I think I get it. Thank you very much! Now I can finalize the first two part of the book. There's only one more part and it is the shortest one. No doubt I'll have problems with that, too, so I hope I can count on you later as well :)
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2017 11:24:29 AM
Now it's all clear to me, thanks for your explanations!

Just three more questions (for now):

Geoffrey approached the form, always keeping the centrifuge arms in view. As one of the capsules sped past him, he grasped what must have happened to his cousin. There was a door in the capsule: a dark circular aperture in the leading hemisphere.
‘Hector was trying to get inside.’
Figures,’ Jumai said slowly. ‘I mean, he would, wouldn’t he? Comes this way, finds things aren’t the way they’re meant to be… what else is he going to do but try to get aboard the ship?’ She took a step back as the other capsule whooshed by. ‘Think this was a surprise to him?’

She says that she thinks the same? Or she has already figured it out? I don't really understand. And what would he do? Could you write it down with other words?

He was amidships: aft lay the engine assembly and the nuclear power plant; fore lay the command deck. He was hanging in a corridor, hexagonal in cross section, with panels and lockers arranged in longitudinal strips. Between the strips were recessed ladders, grip-pads and handholds. The main lights were on, and everything looked very clean and tidy.

I wonder what a "grip-pad" looks like. What do you think? I can't imagine a soft pad that can be gripped by someone to hold him/her in zero gravity.

‘We’re tracking you, but we don’t have a handle on your trajectory yet. Where are you headed?’
‘If the ship’s to be believed,’ Geoffrey said, ‘an iceteroid in the Kuiper belt.’
Gilbert looked apologetic. ‘You won’t make it out of Earth–Moon space at this rate. You’re running way outside the safe operating envelope for that type of propulsion system.’
Hector looked sceptical. ‘You’ve figured that much out in just a few minutes?’
‘You’re lighting up near Lunar space like a Roman candle. You need to find a way to throttle back, and urgently. At the very least, you’re going to burn so much fuel you won’t have a snowball’s hope of slowing down this side of the Oort cloud.’
‘The ship has its own ideas,’ Geoffrey said.
‘You’ll have to do something. You’ve already reached the point where no local traffic has enough delta vee to catch up with you – and that includes Quaynor, I’m afraid.’

Now, are they going so badly and riskily that they won't make it out of Earth–Moon space, or are they going so smooth and fast that they won’t have a chance of slowing down this side of the Oort cloud? It seems like a contradiction to me.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.