Home Page
Statistics
Number of Posts: 33
[0.00% of all post / 0.03 posts per day]
  Last 10 Posts
Topic: Describing past events
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2018 3:01:04 AM
Hello!

In this clip, if I've not misheard that, the guy says '... from then on I've made sure I've done up my trunks extra tight ...'. The story is that once, after a dive during an important competition, he had his trunks slip off. So my question is: is the quote I've mentioned above grammatically correct? Can express the same by saying 'from then on I [always] make sure I've done up my trunks extra tight'?

Ta!
Topic: listening comprehension
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 2:38:54 AM
Hi everyone!

The piece of the video is quite weird, but I'm really curious to hear all the words in it. Could anyone please tell me what exact words the guy on the left in this video said before '... it's crossing a line'?
Topic: Possessive case with the gerund
Posted: Sunday, January 7, 2018 10:17:13 AM
Oh, I'm terribly sorry, what I actually meant to write is 'stories about people mysteriously disappearing' and 'the President's mysterious disappearing'. As I'm writing this, however, it's getting clearer to me: in the first clause disappearing is a verb and a noun in the second. Am I right?

PS. The original sentence which aroused my question is 'Read on for 3 bizarre stories of people disappearing'
Topic: Possessive case with the gerund
Posted: Sunday, January 7, 2018 2:45:18 AM
Hi!

I'm feeling confounded about the absence of the possessive 's in the sentence 'the stories of people mysterious disappearances', whereas it's incorrect to omit it in 'the president's mysterious disappearance'. Could anyone kindly explain to me the difference and give a couple more examples on both cases?

Kind regards
Topic: Plural subject with singular verb
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2017 3:25:47 AM
Thanks to both authors for very helpful answers!
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 4:57:35 AM
Thank you for answering.

I'm afraid, however, the question still remains: what I was asking about is 'the short twenty years ... has taught me'
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 4:08:44 AM
Hello!

In the sentence over here, the speaker uses the subject '20 years' with has. I've seen some similar cases but I still don't feel how to use that in my language correctly. Could anyone please briefly expand on the topic or provide a reference as to where the material may be found in grammar books or something?

Thanks!
Topic: Proper meaning of for
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 1:48:55 PM
Thanks a lot!
Topic: Proper meaning of for
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 4:53:46 AM
Hello!

Could anyone please explain the sense of the phrase in the clip? The speaker doesn't mean that during her speech the previous debater did but retell Twilight, does he? I'm then inclined to think that the clause 'for all her talk about true love' means: in spite of giving such a speech about true love, she is known to have been reading Twilight.
Is it correct? Is it possible that you give me a proper explanation otherwise?

Thanks!
Topic: Game of words or regular sentence?
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 2:57:58 AM
Thank you very much for your answers

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.