The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment... Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 82,371
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side.

Aristotle (384 BC-322 BC)
RoadRunner
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:22:38 AM

Neurons: 373,585
Wow! Mr. Aristotle said that right on the money 2300 years ago! Take a look at the North Korean guy - Kim Jong-un. Applause Boo hoo! Dancing
[url=http://www.freakingnews.com/Kim-Jong-Un-Riding-a-Pig-Pictures-120177.asp/url]
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2015 3:45:21 AM

Neurons: 1,045,358
I was thinking that it reminded me a lot of Bush43.
JMV
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2015 4:12:18 AM

Neurons: 25,208
"Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich."

- Napoleon Bonaparte

If only this were true (well, maybe there's some truth to it :-)
Bully_rus
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2015 4:27:39 AM

Neurons: 226,454
If religion is helpful for common people, why then it can't be helpful for tyrants or even politicians?
Mehrdad77
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2015 6:03:10 AM

Neurons: 440,305
Daemon wrote:
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side.

Aristotle (384 BC-322 BC)

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins.
monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2015 7:20:24 AM

Neurons: 5,225,765

This passage from Aristotle's Politics is a substantially accurate description about how a repressive government can employ religion as a means of social control. Religion's effectiveness lies largely in the fact that a ruler doesn't need to invest as many resources into things like extra police or spies. When it comes to religion, control is obtained through mechanisms internal to individuals and with a person's consent rather than imposed from the outside and against people's will.

By adopting a mantle of piety and religious authority, a tyrant is able to keep others at a distance — not only when it comes to critiques of how they are ruled, but also anyone's overt challenge to the political system in general. Any political system that people believe is sanctioned by the divine order of the cosmos will be much more difficult to even question, much less change. Only once it became common wisdom that government is instituted by humans did it become easier to create change on a more regular basis.

http://atheism.about.com/od/weeklyquotes/a/aristotle01.htm
monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2015 7:21:44 AM

Neurons: 5,225,765
Aristotle was certainly not the only ancient philosopher to express some cynicism regarding the relationship between politics and religion. Others also noted that politicians can and do use religion in the pursuit of political power, in particular when it comes to maintaining control of people. Two of the most famous come from Lucretius and Seneca:

"All religions are equally sublime to the ignorant, useful to the politician, and ridiculous to the philosopher."
- Lucretius, On the Nature of Things

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful."
- Seneca

http://atheism.about.com/od/weeklyquotes/a/aristotle01.htm
IMcRout
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2015 7:46:14 AM

Neurons: 563,379

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
Sastrecillo
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2015 7:58:15 AM

Neurons: 326,498
Eh?
IMcRout wrote:
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2015 11:35:36 AM

Neurons: 1,507,109
These KGB-ridden clergy are even more disgusting than V. Putin himself.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:55:26 PM

Neurons: 2,464,742
RoadRunner wrote:
Wow! Mr. Aristotle said that right on the money 2300 years ago! Take a look at the North Korean guy - Kim Jong-un. Applause Boo hoo! Dancing
[url=http://www.freakingnews.com/Kim-Jong-Un-Riding-a-Pig-Pictures-120177.asp/url]

Why the hell did I click on that? I can't unsee that! d'oh!

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
Taxiarchis
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2015 3:50:37 PM

Neurons: 102,606
I think Aristole referred to any tyrant putting on the guise of an upstanding, righteous man to make his ruling seem more palatable and acceptable in the eyes of others. Naturally, for his time, that would mean appearing as a religious and devote individual; nowadays, it's essentially a description of marketing practices.

Really, the idea of employing religion to control the masses strikes me as quite outdated by now. Populations are more so "trampled upon" - and such a statement is itself a very delicate one - either by their own surrender to the idea of a not corrupt politician existing at all or to brand loyalty. At least so from my perspective. Why, neither religiosity nor lack of it will necessarily make a man virtuous or knowledgeable; plenty exist who are cruel without needing to follow more dogmas than their own wallet or even their own urges.
Virginia Lathan
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2015 10:00:44 PM

Neurons: 5,980
“To swallow and follow, whether old doctrine or new propaganda, is a weakness still dominating the human mind.”
~~Charolette P. Gilbert~~

And I think the greatest safeguard against such mindlessness is consciousness.

I know it worked for me when a personal tyrant in my life (a former suitor) tried to dominate me by holding the Bible high and proclaiming that it was “only right” that I subject my views about things to his because, as he put it, “I am the male,” and the Bible says that's the way things should go. Needless to say, his attempt to convince me of his right to dominate fell as flat as the Great Plains. Not talking