The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Henry David Thoreau Begins Two Years of Simple Living (1845) Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 87,066
Henry David Thoreau Begins Two Years of Simple Living (1845)

In 1845, Thoreau, an American author and naturalist, built himself a cabin on the shore of Walden Pond in Massachusetts. He spent the next two years, two months, and two days there, observing nature, reading, and writing. He also kept a journal that he later used to write his masterpiece, Walden, or Life in the Woods, which compresses his time there into a single calendar year and uses the passage of the seasons to symbolize human development. What were Thoreau's enigmatic last words? More...
IMcRout
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2015 5:12:00 AM

Neurons: 563,379
Quote:
He traveled to Quebec once, Cape Cod four times, and Maiessively devoured all the first-hand travel accounts available in his day, at a time when the last unmapped regions of the earth were being explored.

'Maiessively'. Interesting word, isn't it? Well, I tried to look it up - in vain. 'Massively' was suggested, which didn't make any sense to me.
My friends Google and Wikipedia, however, helped me along. When I searched for the whole phrase, I found ...

Quote:
He traveled to Quebec once, Cape Cod four times, and Maine three times; these landscapes inspired his "excursion" books, A Yankee in Canada, Cape Cod, and The Maine Woods, in which travel itineraries frame his thoughts about geography, history and philosophy. Other travels took him southwest to Philadelphia and New York City in 1854, and west across the Great Lakes region in 1861, visiting Niagara Falls, Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Mackinac Island.[48] Although provincial in his physical travels, he was extraordinarily well-read. He obsessively devoured all the first-hand travel accounts available in his day, at a time when the last unmapped regions of the earth were being explored.

I guess Farlex needs to scrimp and save, like everybody else. Think
monamagda
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2015 9:03:32 AM

Neurons: 5,680,887

According to Bronson Alcott, the kindly, gabby and famously improvident transcendentalist who lived nearby, Thoreau on his last day alive had been "lying patiently & cheerfully on the bed he would never leave again. He was very weak but suffered nothing and talked in his old pleasant way saying "ii took Natures a long time to do her work but he was most out of the world The naturalist's last words were “Now comes good sailing,” followed by two more stripped entirely of syntax: “moose” and “Indian.”

From Battlefields Rising: How The Civil War Transformed American Literature - Chapter 2 - Concord - Pag 34
By Randall Fuller
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2015 10:35:51 AM

Neurons: 2,589,153
IMcRout wrote:
Quote:
He traveled to Quebec once, Cape Cod four times, and Maiessively devoured all the first-hand travel accounts available in his day, at a time when the last unmapped regions of the earth were being explored.

'Maiessively'. Interesting word, isn't it? Well, I tried to look it up - in vain. 'Massively' was suggested, which didn't make any sense to me.
My friends Google and Wikipedia, however, helped me along. When I searched for the whole phrase, I found ...

Quote:
He traveled to Quebec once, Cape Cod four times, and Maine three times; these landscapes inspired his "excursion" books, A Yankee in Canada, Cape Cod, and The Maine Woods, in which travel itineraries frame his thoughts about geography, history and philosophy. Other travels took him southwest to Philadelphia and New York City in 1854, and west across the Great Lakes region in 1861, visiting Niagara Falls, Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Mackinac Island.[48] Although provincial in his physical travels, he was extraordinarily well-read. He obsessively devoured all the first-hand travel accounts available in his day, at a time when the last unmapped regions of the earth were being explored.

I guess Farlex needs to scrimp and save, like everybody else. Think

Thanks IMcRout!Applause

johnfl
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2015 12:23:31 PM

Neurons: 415,038
AMEN BROTHER.
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2015 6:51:22 PM

Neurons: 37,072
Something we ALL should do in some manner. I use to backpack into the Catskill Mountains during deer hunting season and spent up to a week camped out. The last few years I just let the deer walk by, even though I could have used the meat. The experiences were well worth the time away NYC and all of the, "madness" of that city. c. 1983-1989
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2015 10:41:11 PM

Neurons: 150,619
Daemon wrote:
Henry David Thoreau Begins Two Years of Simple Living (1845)

In 1845, Thoreau, an American author and naturalist, built himself a cabin on the shore of Walden Pond in Massachusetts. He spent the next two years, two months, and two days there, observing nature, reading, and writing. He also kept a journal that he later used to write his masterpiece, Walden, or Life in the Woods, which compresses his time there into a single calendar year and uses the passage of the seasons to symbolize human development. What were Thoreau's enigmatic last words? More...

A truly amazing individual!!! There is no more beautiful life than simple living....!Applause Applause Applause