The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Body Modification Options
Geeman
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 11:12:37 PM

Neurons: 124,562
From the ancient practices of tattoos and body piercing to the futuristic ideas of transhumanism, people have always wanted to modify themselves in various ways. Often these modifications are medical: meant to preserve life. Limbs might be removed, holes punched in the skull, organs removed. Other times they are cosmetic and include a wide range of alterations in different cultures. Some people stretch their necks. Others ritualistically scar themselves.

Changes to the body have continued apace. People have organs transplanted and artificial joints inserted. Cosmetically, people now insert plastic bags with saline solution into their bodies for cosmetic purposes, cut off bits of skin here and there, have hair folicles implanted into their scalps and have their teeth covered with artificial, perfect white veneers.

Personally, I like the idea of having some sort of computer interface directly into my brain. If there were a simple (and not so horrifically painful) surgery to increase my height, I'd be interested in that too....

What kinds of medical and cosmetic changes do you see people doing in the future to modify their bodies? Which would you be interested in having done yourself?
AnthA1G
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 11:19:22 PM

Neurons: 3,432
Yeah, increasing my height would be of good use, I'm 5'8-9". =\ I haven't though about this before, there's nothing I'd like to do [right now] to my body.

PS: Having a computer inside you would be really cool, but computers come with viruses!

Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back. Those who wish to sing always find a song. At the touch of a lover, everyone becomes a poet. - Plato
shaoley
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 12:03:59 AM

Neurons: 740
Geeman wrote:
Personally, I like the idea of having some sort of computer interface directly into my brain.

This reminds me of the movie "Matrix"...plug something on the back of your head and insert a chip on a machine and voila, you know kung ku...

Removing my appendics would surely bring immense relief, but I hope they can find something that will just have to melt it down...

Bunburying
Luftmarque
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 1:11:34 AM

Neurons: 30,222
I'd like some titanium teeth, please sir.

}- Luftmarque لوفتمارك -{ Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.—Voltaire
gradyone
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 1:32:12 AM

Neurons: 12,277
There's an appendix to Murphy's Law, that goes: When you're holding something in one hand, the next task will force you
to put it down in order to use two hands to complete it. A third hand would do the trick, but I'm not sure where to sprout it . . .

Viva Geronimo
shaoley
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 1:39:50 AM

Neurons: 740
gradyone wrote:
There's an appendix to Murphy's Law, that goes: When you're holding something in one hand, the next task will force you
to put it down in order to use two hands to complete it. A third hand would do the trick, but I'm not sure where to sprout it . . .

Think Think Think

Bunburying
Luftmarque
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 1:40:21 AM

Neurons: 30,222
gradyone wrote:

And then you can use your tail to swish off the flies.

}- Luftmarque لوفتمارك -{ Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.—Voltaire
gradyone
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 1:51:20 AM

Neurons: 12,277
Luftmarque wrote:

And then you can use your tail to swish off the flies.

Dang, Mark, as best I can tell, and I can't really see back there with these horns in the way, my tail was bobbed shortly after
I fell to earth and dried off.

Viva Geronimo
Epiphileon
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 6:01:40 AM

Neurons: 83,949
I think I'd like the type of rejuvenation in Robert Heinlein's, Science Fiction returning to my 20 year old physiology, while maintaining current experience and knowledge levels would be great. I still think it should only be done once or twice though, immortality would be a curse.

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
FARI KHAN
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 6:53:36 AM

Neurons: 3
Yeahhhh i wud like to have a plastic surgery of my nose Liar its too long...nd also want to increase my height
RARA
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 6:57:21 AM

Neurons: 2,097
A potion to bring back the skin of youth, currently no treatment can imitate it!

All soft and glowing.

Truly great madness can not be achieved without significant intelligence, Henrik Tikkanen
Dreamy
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 7:22:04 AM

Neurons: 7,723
Implants that gave me the ability to turn invisible, pass through solid matter, replicate things with thought-power and also defy gravity would not go amiss.

Job 33:15 "In a dream, in a vision of the night, When deep sleep falls upon men, In slumberings upon the bed;" Theology 101 "If He doesn't know everything then He isn't God."
Tovarish
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 7:43:33 AM

Neurons: 39,933
Cosmetic surgery makes me cringe.

The nip it, tuck it, lypo suck it brigade, need to take a walk through an Orthopaedic Ward of any Hospital.

Especially the Children's Ward and get a reality check.

What I would like to see is Spinal Cord rejuvenation so paras can walk again.

Limb, hand & feet transplants, that looked like the real thing.

Oh yes, and have no such thing as an Oncology Ward.

Thats my Wish List
TYSON
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 7:53:02 AM

Neurons: 3,793
bone piercing. Bone exposure. Something with bone.

I think therefore I think I am
TYSON
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 7:56:25 AM

Neurons: 3,793
I meant I expect things to go that far. Not that Id want it for myself.

I think therefore I think I am
Vickster
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 7:57:37 AM

Neurons: 7,211
I agree Tovarish!!! Wouldn't it be nice to make sure we can take care of those in need first (so they can live a somewhat normal life without pain and suffering) before we invent a way to make people look "prettier"...They should be thankful they have all 10 toes and 10 fingers... Vanity is such a sad thing...

He who sings scares away his woes. ~Cervantes
HWNN1961
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 8:03:37 AM

Neurons: 9,763
I'm all for the medical advances. To piggy-back on what Tovarish said: how about a computer interface solution that can repair a severed spinal cord. Allow those bound to a chair to walk once again. Science is working on growing new organs using our own cells, or perhaps robotic limbs are the best answer. Increasingly, there will be a merging of carbon based life with silicon based intelligence. Like all advances, it can save or damn.

"Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong". (Knight's Oath, Kingdom of Heaven)
Raparee
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 8:13:27 AM

Neurons: 18,102
Vickster wrote:
I agree Tovarish!!! Wouldn't it be nice to make sure we can take care of those in need first (so they can live a somewhat normal life without pain and suffering) before we invent a way to make people look "prettier"...They should be thankful they have all 10 toes and 10 fingers... Vanity is such a sad thing...

While I agree with this, there are levels of reconstructive surgery that are not so dire, but are just off enough to be off-putting to those around the subject to where the subject feels and often is shunned. Some people only want to look normal. And even after such surgeries, the stigma still lingers. People are constantly judged by their looks as it is the first thing people see. (It's one of the reasons I love the online environment - you are judged solely on how you present yourself and interact with others; if you choose to falsify that, so be it.)

The problem with body mods is it are those who go to extremes who cause problems (which is the way of most things).

I would love to see regeneration - not whole body, lose a few (or many) years type, but being able to help regrow lost limbs, nerves, and functions.

I just want something to help fix my metabolism finally. The rest I can deal with, though I do admit I would not turn down shapeshifting so long as I could comprehend the language of whatever shape I chose. ;)

A closed mind is like a closed book - nothing can be gained if either remains closed.
MarySM
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 8:55:23 AM

Neurons: 6,084
I like the wish list Tovarish provided and I would like to add something to that line of thought. How about something that could bring balance to those additcted to alcohol and other drugs so they no longer destroy themselves with that kind of excess. I would not want something that makes everyone have the same personality or makes everyone bland and uninteresting, just a way to control the seriously destructive forces of addiction. Of course, I would be unemployeed-still.....

"He who never made a mistake never made a discovery." Samuel Smiles
Ellenrita
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 8:59:13 AM

Neurons: 3,889
What we do have. Shin:Device for finding furniture in the dark.
Raparee
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 9:08:46 AM

Neurons: 18,102
Ellenrita wrote:

I think that's all body parts mid-thigh and down, paying particular attention to feet and ankles - the more it hurts, the more likely it is to be a furniture/corner-finder. Though my shoulders actually do quite well finding those pesky wall corners in the dark. d'oh! ;)

A closed mind is like a closed book - nothing can be gained if either remains closed.
HWNN1961
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 9:24:36 AM

Neurons: 9,763
Ellenrita wrote:

The big toe serves equally as well. Both spur us to greater creativity: how often have we been inspired to invent new combinations of colorful words to express our pain!

"Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong". (Knight's Oath, Kingdom of Heaven)
risadr
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 9:26:06 AM

Neurons: 3,545
MarySM wrote:
I like the wish list Tovarish provided and I would like to add something to that line of thought. How about something that could bring balance to those additcted to alcohol and other drugs so they no longer destroy themselves with that kind of excess. I would not want something that makes everyone have the same personality or makes everyone bland and uninteresting, just a way to control the seriously destructive forces of addiction. Of course, I would be unemployeed-still.....

I've read 1984 one too many times, I think, because the very first thought that I had when I read the first part of your post (before the clarification) was "SOMA?!" lol

If it were me, I see no problem with letting people do whatever they wish to their bodies. After all, they are the ones who have to live in those bodies. Those who are so superficial (Artificial?) that they feel a need to change their looks to conform to society's standards of "beauty" -- and I speak of the "nip it, tuck it" crowd, here -- are to be pitied, rather than hated. Plastic surgery for reconstructive purposes is something different, entirely.

In the future, I see a push toward what many others have described: artificial limbs that are more lifelike in their appearance and function, nerve/limb regeneration, and I would love nothing more than to see a cure for cancer. I'm not such an idealist, though, and I realize that science has probably already revealed one, but Big Pharma has suppressed it, because they make more money from treatments than they do from a cure.

As for myself, I am far from being a member of the nip/tuck mindset, but I wouldn't mind if someone could come up with some sort of firming gel or cream that I could apply to my midsection to tone up (what's left of) my post-baby body. Other than that, I'm a fan of tasteful tattoos and piercings. I have several tats planned, and I've considered re-piercing my navel.

It's like a book elegantly bound, but in a language that you can't read just yet. "I Will Possess Your Heart," Death Cab for Cutie
rluna
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 9:35:16 AM

Neurons: 570
This post makes me ponder on medical technology. I look forward to the day that an entire organ can be replaced and the body can function the same if not better. Who says modification has to be on the outside. :) It also makes me wonder how far off organ harvesting is to being a reality. Has anyone read "Spares" by, Michael Marshall Smith?

"Words form the thread on which we string our experiences." - Aldous Leonard Huxley
worldsclyde
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 9:47:32 AM

Neurons: 2,390
rluna wrote:
This post makes me ponder on medical technology. I look forward to the day that an entire organ can be replaced and the body can function the same if not better. Who says modification has to be on the outside. :) It also makes me wonder how far off organ harvesting is to being a reality. Has anyone read "Spares" by, Michael Marshall Smith?

parts - schmarts. Since we're wishing, lets go for the whole AVATAR body swap. And yes, I want a tail.

You stand between me and all my enemies. -Son Lux
Susie
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 10:21:35 AM

Neurons: 1,154
Tovarish and MarySM, great ideas!!Applause Giving people that need to, a chance to walk again, or not suffer pain any longer. I love the idea of having something inside that would alert you to something growing inside you, like a tumor or cancer cells.

That's my good side, my bad side wants a little less tummy and slimmer thighs.Dancing Otherwise all else is fine with me.
thrustae
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 1:10:23 PM

Neurons: 51
Luftmarque wrote:
I'd like some titanium teeth, please sir.

How about all titanium bones? You could be bulletproof and unbreakable like Wolverine.
As far as tattoos, my opinion is that they're better to avoid, because they're permanent, and an expression of yourself at 22 won't be the same as at 29.
maverickwoman
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 1:06:47 AM

Neurons: 352
I do not want to make the topic out of its rail but I cannot help thinking about why do we care our apperiance that much? Has it always been like that in history of humanbeing? My questions certainly are not for something to criticise our nature but I truely want to confront why do we care aesthetic that much.Is it a pure instict or is it something we have learnt from society. When I consider the trends the concepts of beauty in the past times ,all I can see as we all know that there is no a constant consept of beauty,it is a changeable term as much as it is relative. It just depends on which era and society do you live in. Obviously the others create the definition of what is beautiful what is not.... So is it all about having social acceptance, I know some people around me,they can even die just to be able to look in a better way, I feel like there is something wrong about the case.

There is another well known theory which most of the intelligent people naturally do not look good ,they are intelligent because they need to be intelligent and smart to get whatever they want from life that means extra effort for them.Good looking ones do not even need to be smart and try to elevate their mental skils, they can already get whatever they wants...

There are many issues make us confused to arrive a conclusion about the apperiance thing, Geeman's topic got me thinking of it deeply, it could even be a very good subject of a doctorate thesis.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 5:09:48 AM

Neurons: 409,775
Wouldn't it be nice to have two replaceable brains?
When you feel your head is all empty just take the reserve brains is use and let the other to be charged. Like having two batteries for cell phone.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Vickster
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 7:07:46 AM

Neurons: 7,211
JJ you got me thinking...I don't need a replacement brain... (well maybe I do) but what I really need is a rechargeable battery for my body... so when I'm done work and need to be "alive" for my 19 month old...I could just recharge the battery... What a lovely thought...

He who sings scares away his woes. ~Cervantes
Tovarish
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 7:00:06 PM

I was howled down on posting a new Veterinary cancer drug that sounded so promising.

An Australian Professor of Radiology has discovered an intense x-ray, that she and fellow Scientists say they can predict breast cancer cell 3years before they are identifiable on a mammogram.

I am suspicious of Medical and Pharmaceutical Companies.
I realise the testing of new drugs is an astronomical financial endeavour.
However, if this is the case, how have many of the drugs I, personally have been prescribed, then taken off the market due to fatal side effects?

risadr
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 9:58:54 PM

Neurons: 3,545
rluna wrote:

Or seen Repo! The Genetic Opera?

It's like a book elegantly bound, but in a language that you can't read just yet. "I Will Possess Your Heart," Death Cab for Cutie
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 6:31:05 AM

Neurons: 6,040
I wouldn't mind if my gray hair went back to its original brown.
Ellenrita
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 10:59:41 PM

Neurons: 3,889
Some where I read about dogs that can sniff out cancer. It is believable.
Tovarish
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2010 11:03:04 PM

Yes, dogs with excellant noses sniff urine samples for cancer. Wouldnt the Drug Companies hate that one?

Joseph get a really nice hair stylist, she can turn back the clock, does wonders for me ha ha