Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

histrionics Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 68,886
histrionics

(noun) Theatrical arts or performances.

Synonyms: theatrical performance, representation

Usage: They had lunch, then went to the theater to enjoy an hour of histrionics.
diannan1
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 7:14:16 AM

Neurons: 1,071
Isn't 'histrionics' also an 'exaggerated dramatic behavior designed to attract attention'?
monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 8:24:53 AM

Neurons: 3,963,042
Notes: The suffix -s on today's Word has led to a lot of confusion. This suffix serves multiple functions: it is a plural and possessive marker but it also turns adjectives into mass nouns like physics and linguistics. Histrionics is such a word; however, it has been misused with plural verbs so long ("histrionics are" rather than "histrionics is") that most dictionaries now allow either agreement. The adjective, of course, is histrionic, as in "a histrionic reaction to the news".

In Play: Histrionics is an emotional overreaction—real or otherwise—to an upsetting situation: "I hate playing poker with Jack Uzi because of his histrionics about going to the poorhouse every time he loses a game." Anything that sets off emotions is likely to lead to histrionics: "Martha Sviniard's talk at the "Eggs and Issues" breakfast yesterday was filled with histrionics about the candidate she supports."

Word History: Today's Good Word came from the Latin adjective histrionicus "acting, theatrical", based on histrio(n) "actor", an extension of hister with the same meaning. This word appears to have been borrowed from the Etruscans, who inhabited much of Italy from about 750 BCE until the Romans conquered the territory and assimilated them. The Romans originally referred to these people as Etrusci but on the street it became simply Tusci, a root that remained in the name of the region of Tuscany. Believe it or not, the word is unrelated to history, which traces its origins back to Ancient Greece.

http://www.alphadictionary.com/goodword/word/histrionics
Calcifer Y
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 8:35:19 AM

Neurons: 5,908
Were it no inflated histrionics of moonlight stretched away on every side ... How would we know whether that bridge’s made of ice, over our lake of love to hold fast?
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 9:15:18 AM

Neurons: 1,877,196
diannan1 wrote:
Isn't 'histrionics' also an 'exaggerated dramatic behavior designed to attract attention'?

Yes. Click on the word to discover its expanded definition. For those who speak English as their second language, the word is almost always used in conversation to mean exaggerated behaviour.

Quote:
his·tri·on·ics
(hĭs′trē-ŏn′ĭks)
n.
1. (used with a pl. verb) Theatrical arts or performances.

2. (used with a sing. or pl. verb) Exaggerated emotional behavior calculated for effect.
his•tri•on•ics

(ˌhɪs triˈɒn ɪks)

n. (used with a sing. or pl. v.)
1. artificial behavior or speech for effect, as insincere or exaggerated expression of an emotion.

2. dramatic representation; theatricals.

When you make an assumption, you make an ass of u & umption! - NeuroticHellFem
milehigh
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 5:39:14 PM

Neurons: 5,711
As a definition for histrionics, being theatrical in overemphasis of manner is current usage, a derogatory meaning and more appropriate as a definition. I'd never say/write that I'm going to the theatre/er to see the histrionics and I wouldn't attempt to praise good acting performance as "good histrionics" -- not to an actor's face, at least!

As a synonym, drama is the best word that comes to mind and a "drama queen" in the current argot is someone prone to histrionics.

...formerly "webistrator" but I forgot my login -- sorry.
johnfl
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 6:22:02 PM

Neurons: 271,332
YES I TOOK HISTRIONICS IN HIGH SCHOOL.
Irma Crespo
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 11:32:15 PM

Neurons: 85,444
HISTRIONICS.- n. pl. 1. Theatrical art or representation; dramatics. 2. Feigned emotional display; affectation in a manner of speech, etc. In high school we studied histrionics.