The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Geronimo (1829) Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,253
Geronimo (1829)

When US authorities abolished the Chiricahua Reservation in 1876 and removed the Apaches to an arid region of New Mexico, Geronimo led a group of followers to Mexico. He was soon captured and returned to the new reservation, but escaped again with a group in 1881 and began leading them on raids. The cycle repeated again and again, until late in 1886, when Geronimo and the remainder of his forces surrendered for good. How is it that he ended up riding in Theodore Roosevelt's inaugural procession? More...
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 12:57:43 AM

Neurons: 1,725,344
I respect such sort of people.
Shamshad Ali Afridi
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 5:19:26 AM

Neurons: 94,307
According to Ward Churchill, a professor of ethnic studies at the University of Colorado, the North American Indian population reduced from an estimated 12 million in 1500 to barely 237,000 in 1900.

It is one of the most comprehensive of all holocausts.
Gary98
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 9:21:03 AM

Neurons: 4,701,183
I have heard the trail of tears, but never holocaust till now.
mudbudda669
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 9:57:15 AM

Neurons: 338,984
one who Yawns ?
Robert Imgrat
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 3:30:12 PM

Neurons: 106,087
Gary98 wrote:
I have heard the trail of tears, but never holocaust till now.

====================================================================================
Dear Gary98,
perhaps, because it is comprehensive from now.Whistle
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 4:22:29 PM

Neurons: 5,592,806
Geronimo’s Appeal to Theodore Roosevel

Held captive far longer than his surrender agreement called for, the Apache warrior made his case directly to the president
By Gilbert King

In March 1905, Geronimo was invited to President Theodore Roosevelt’s inaugural parade; he and five real Indian chiefs, who wore full headgear and painted faces, rode horses down Pennsylvania Avenue. The intent, one newspaper stated, was to show Americans “that they have buried the hatchet forever.”

After the parade, Geronimo met with Roosevelt in what the New York Tribune reported was a “pathetic appeal” to allow him to return to Arizona. “Take the ropes from our hands,” Geronimo begged, with tears “running down his bullet-scarred cheeks.” Through an interpreter, Roosevelt told Geronimo that the Indian had a “bad heart.” “You killed many of my people; you burned villages…and were not good Indians.” The president would have to wait a while “and see how you and your people act” on their reservation.

Geronimo gesticulated “wildly” and the meeting was cut short. “The Great Father is very busy,” a staff member told him, ushering Roosevelt away and urging Geronimo to put his concerns in writing. Roosevelt was told that the Apache warrior would be safer on the reservation in Oklahoma than in Arizona: “If he went back there he’d be very likely to find a rope awaiting him, for a great many people in the Territory are spoiling for a chance to kill him.”

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/geronimos-appeal-to-theodore-roosevelt-117859516/#8A58VbTlQOjUt5JL.99
Robert Imgrat
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 5:44:14 PM

Neurons: 106,087
Oklahoma is still not such a bad place to live in. Sometimes even better to Arizona.
Stvn
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 7:36:50 PM

Neurons: 491,884
I don’t know him personally, as a person, a farther or a husband, but I do know him from all the stories I read as a warrior chief.
I believe that every leader in the world would have done the same as Geronimo for their land and people. We cannot judge him with our Law (Civilized) He lived in a different world and with different law (Barbaric to us)
Shamshad Ali Afridi
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 11:54:37 PM

Neurons: 94,307
Guilt and shame rather than denial should have been the suit of some gnostics. I appreciate the ignorant for ignorance is not impervious to correction like gnostics' denial. While you could not find a single unequivocal Nazi command for extermination of the jews which still i consider holocaust, i can show you many from the british and american authorities of the complete annihilation of the native. Check the the link for details.

“A war of extermination will continue to be waged between the two races until the Indian race becomes extinct.”
– California Governor Peter H. Burnett, 1851

Jeffrey Amherst, commander-in-chief of British forces in North America, wrote to Colonel Henry Bouquet at Fort Pitt:

“You will do well to try to inoculate the Indians [with smallpox] by means of blankets, as well as to try every other method, that can serve to extirpate this execrable race."

http://endgenocide.org/learn/past-genocides/native-americans/