The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

recompense Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 85,557
recompense

(verb) To award compensation for; make a return for.

Synonyms: compensate, indemnify, repair

Usage: I wish to recompense you for the time and money that you spent while helping my sister find her lost dog.
Mehrdad77
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2015 2:32:19 AM

Neurons: 440,305
re+compense
recompense (v.
c. 1400, "to redress," from Middle French recompenser (14c.) and directly from Medieval Latin recompensare "to reward, remunerate," from Latin re- "again" (see re-) + compensare "balance out," literally "weigh together" . From early 15c. as "to compensate." Related: Recompensed; recompensing.
from com- "with" + pensare, frequentative of pendere "to weigh". Meaning "to recompense, remunerate" is from 1814. Related: Compensated; compensating
Mehrdad77
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2015 2:38:27 AM

Say you a loan a few bucks to a friend who is short on cash, and he wins the lottery. Presumably, he'll be able to recompense, or pay you back what he owes.
Mehrdad77
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2015 2:39:33 AM

If you look closely at recompense, you'll see how similar it is to compensate, which means to make amends for something or to pay. Add the prefix re-, which suggests returning or repeating, and you get the meaning of recompense — paying back or reimbursing financially or otherwise. Recompense is most often used as a verb, but it works as a noun, too. In recompense for throwing peas and screaming, a mother might send a toddler to her room for a time-out.
Mehrdad77
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2015 2:41:00 AM

The whole neighborhood afford their unanimous assistance in building them and in return receive, and expect no other recompense than a feast.
8BooksOfSengathe
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2015 5:16:57 AM

Neurons: 15,690
Mehrdad77 wrote:
If you look closely at recompense, you'll see how similar it is to compensate, which means to make amends for something or to pay. Add the prefix re-, which suggests returning or repeating, and you get the meaning of recompense — paying back or reimbursing financially or otherwise. Recompense is most often used as a verb, but it works as a noun, too. In recompense for throwing peas and screaming, a mother might send a toddler to her room for a time-out.

*** Great post. I enjoy your contributions to this area.

A kind neighbor recompensed his friend's help,
while they were on vacation , by mowing his lawn.

Enjoy" BIBLE PAGES by Peridot Path " , via the blog button. :)
Shamshad Ali Afridi
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2015 6:18:07 AM

Neurons: 94,307
Let the evildoer still do evil, and the filthy still be filthy, and the righteous still do right, and the holy still be holy. Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay each one for what he has done. Revelation 22:11-12.

Tell those who believe to forgive those who persecute them and fear not the Days of ALLAH, that He may recompense people according to what they have earned. Quran 45:14.

Thou art so far before that swiftest wing of recompense is slow to overtake thee. Macbeth

Brother! behold the Creator's justice: As are a man's actions, so is his recompense. Adi Granth; Gauri Var
striker
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2015 8:29:24 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
i rec'd compensation for and unjust termination
Calcifer Y
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2015 8:47:03 AM

Neurons: 6,199
``Your recompense, unsuitable return for so much beneficence ... Not here, yet in a place by our dreams and riches undefiled, doubt not that we shall meet!
monamagda
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2015 1:58:13 PM

Neurons: 5,526,580
“May be is very well, but Must is the master. It is my duty to show justice without recompense.”

Seneca
Verbatim
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2015 2:05:52 PM

Neurons: 245,854
8BooksOfSengathe wrote:
Mehrdad77 wrote:

The post you are admiring as "great" had already been contributed here: http://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/recompense

It was copied and pasted from there, without attribution. Shame on you
johnfl
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2015 8:20:32 PM

Neurons: 404,321
after kicking dirt on the umpire he cooled off and sent the guy a smile.
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2015 10:43:08 PM

Neurons: 144,425
Verbatim wrote:
8BooksOfSengathe wrote:
Mehrdad77 wrote:

The post you are admiring as "great" had already been contributed here: http://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/recompense

It was copied and pasted from there, without attribution. Shame on you

Good posts should be repeated often just like good food is consumed regularly. No harm in it.

There is harm in repeating and perpetuating the evil military intelligence and allowing them to freely recycle their lies, manipulations, propaganda, threats, etc.
Fredric-frank Myers
Posted: Sunday, June 7, 2015 1:38:48 AM

Neurons: 37,072
only to have received the partial recompensed for the work I've done as an artist, I would never have financial worries again.
quixsilver
Posted: Monday, June 8, 2015 1:53:51 PM

Neurons: 419,747
Milica Boghunovich says (regarding Verbatim's qualification of 8Books' praise for Mehrdad's posting of another's work without attribution):

Good posts should be repeated often just like good food is consumed regularly. No harm in it.

Your opinion has merit as far as it goes, Milica. But Verbatim's point, mine also, is the desirability of one's giving proper attribution for the material, that is, acknowledging its true author, to avoid being considered a plagiarist. In that vein, I invite you, and Mehrdad, to freely disseminate any post of mine that you consider noteworthy, but please don't pass it off as your own.

Edit: Corrected spelling of Mehrdad.
Irma Crespo
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2015 6:45:56 PM

Neurons: 106,057
RECOMPENSE.- v. 1. To give compensation to; pay or repay; reward. 2. To compensate for, as a loss. Mr. Roth recompensated Mary for retreiving the old watch from a pound shop.