The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Default Language on app version Options
mestomba
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2015 10:36:42 PM

Neurons: 480
Is it possible to switch the default language of the dictionary app from English to Spanish? (I have the app in my iPhone)- Thanks!
TFD
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 9:50:01 AM

The interface language of the app is based on the language setting of your iPhone. You can change your device language setting in iPhone Settings > General > International > Language.

You can also change the default destination of searches on the app (e.g. from the English dictionary to the Spanish dictionary) by opening the app menu and going to Search Preferences. First turn off "Search all sources," check Spanish, and then uncheck all the items under English.
Tony Fell
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2015 9:41:55 AM

Neurons: 275
I have installed the excellent Free Dictionary iPhone app - but how can I get German umlaut a, o, u and sharfes s (double s) when my iPhone is on the default English language setting? The German dictionary requires these accented letters for German words to be entered into the search function - it does not recognise the conventional "ae" for "a umlaut", etc. It is simply not practical for an English speaker to change iPhone default language to German, just to resolve this problem. Grateful for any help!
TFD
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 11:55:30 AM

On an iPhone, you can install different language keyboards that you can switch between without having to change the device's language setting.

Go to Settings > General > Keyboard > Keyboards > Add New Keyboard…

Once installed, you can switch to a different keyboard right from the keyboard itself by tapping the globe icon.
Tony Fell
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 12:27:54 PM

Neurons: 275
Congratulations to the Farlex Tech-Team for this work-around solution.
On my iPhone-6 it was very easy to set up the German keyboard, then flick from English to German (via the globe icon, as you suggest). The Free Dictionary search engine recognises the search-word, then offers German options with the umlaut (plus scharfes double 's') as appropriate. You simply select the correct version, and the dictionary goes directly to the translation.
An excellent and very practical solution for the problem with diacritics - not only for German language, but also for any one of the many keyboard languages listed.
This app offers a top-quality international on-line dictionary for busy people.