The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

I believe there's no proverb but what is true; they are all so many sentences and maxims drawn from experience, the universal... Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 83,964
I believe there's no proverb but what is true; they are all so many sentences and maxims drawn from experience, the universal mother of sciences.

Miguel de Cervantes (1547-1616)
titan901
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2015 2:09:25 AM

Neurons: 2,896
I'm in thorough agreement with experience being the universal mother of sciences. Very beautifully said.
Bully_rus
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2015 5:25:16 AM

Neurons: 237,291
My experience says that proverbs, talks are good, but deeds are much better... Put your money where your mouth/proverb is.
Sastrecillo
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2015 7:20:48 AM

Neurons: 366,926
Whistle
Bully_rus wrote:
My experience says that proverbs, talks are good, but deeds are much better... Put your money where your mouth/proverb is.
monamagda
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2015 8:29:34 AM

Neurons: 5,370,053
The quote in context from : Don Quixote, Part 1.

The Third Book

Chapter VII.
Of the High Adventure and Rich Winning of the Helmet of Mambrino, with Other Successes Which Befel the Invincible Knight

IT began about this time to rain, and Sancho would fain have entered into the fulling-mills; but Don Quixote had conceived such hate against them for the jest recounted, as he would in no wise come near them; but, turning his way on the right hand, he fell into a highway, as much beaten as that wherein they rode the day before. Within a while after, Don Quixote espied one a-horseback, that bore on his head somewhat that glistered like gold; and scarce had he seen him, when he turned to Sancho, and said, ‘Methinks, Sancho, that there’s no proverb that is not true; for they are all sentences taken out of experience itself, which is the universal mother of sciences! and specially that proverb that says, “Where one door is shut, another is opened.” I say this because, if fortune did shut yesternight the door that we searched, deceiving us in the adventure of the iron maces, it lays us now wide open the door that may address us to a better and more certain adventure, whereon, if I cannot make a good entry, the fall shall be mine, without being able to attribute it to the little knowledge of the fulling-maces, or the darkness of the night; which I affirm because, if I be not deceived, there comes one towards us that wears on his head the helmet of Mambrino, for which I made the oath.’ ‘See well what you say, sir, and better what you do,’ quoth Sancho; ‘for I would not wish that this were new maces, to batter us and our understanding.’ ‘The devil take thee for a man!’ replied Don Quixote; ‘what difference is there betwixt a helmet and fulling-maces?’ ‘I know not,’ quoth Sancho; ‘but if I could speak as much as I was wont, perhaps I would give you such reasons as you yourself should see how much you are deceived in that you speak.’ ‘How may I be deceived in that I say, scrupulous traitor?’ quoth Don Quixote. ‘Tell me, seest thou not that knight which comes riding towards us on a dapple-grey horse, with a helmet of gold on his head?’ ‘That which I see and find out to be so,’ answered Sancho, ‘is none other than a man on a grey ass like mine own, and brings on his head somewhat that shines.’

http://www.bartleby.com/14/307.html
Gary98
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2015 10:03:14 AM

Neurons: 4,452,208
One of the truly great.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2015 10:28:08 AM

Neurons: 30,256

Verily, experience is the anvil upon which the hammer of time forges our world; and words the verbalization of that process, with it's cries, moans, laughs and songs, we call life.

"Now" is the eternal present.
striker
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2015 11:18:53 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
to dream the impossible dream
Bobby Angell
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2015 11:19:21 AM

Neurons: 1,743
Perfectly illustrated by Sancho Panza in "Don Quixote". Sancho had a proverb for EVERY occasion. I can't help but thing that Cervantes pulled many of Pancho's from his own repertoire.