The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Andrew Jackson Kills Charles Dickinson in a Duel (1806) Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 89,022
Andrew Jackson Kills Charles Dickinson in a Duel (1806)

In 1806, nationally famous duelist and expert marksman Charles Dickinson—whose dueling career included 26 kills—was goaded by political opponents of future US President Andrew Jackson to insult Jackson's wife. A duel was arranged between the men, and Jackson took a shot to the ribs before firing what would be a fatal shot at Dickinson—the only man Jackson ever killed in his 13 duels. Jackson's wife died in 1828, two weeks after Jackson was elected president. Whom did Jackson blame for her death? More...
monamagda
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 8:37:11 AM

Neurons: 5,915,557
“My God! Have I missed him?”

Running through Harrison Mills, Kentucky, the Red River flowed just as tranquilly as it had for hundreds of years––Friday, May 30, 1806 was no different. While the water ran, however, two men gathered along one of its banks just as the sun rose into the morning sky. One man arrived to dispatch a political opponent and the other to defend the honor of his wife. On the morning of Friday, May 30, 1806, the Red River was to play witness to the duel between Charles Dickinson and Andrew Jackson.

Dickinson (only 26 years of age), who viewed the 39-year-old Jackson to be a political thorn, was encouraged to insult Jackson’s wife Rachel to his face, effectively ensuring that Jackson would challenge Dickinson to a duel. Through much of their marriage, Andrew and Rachel Jackson faced constant criticism and ill-mannered effrontery as they were married before the divorce between Rachel and her first husband became official.

John Overton, a general in the military present at the duel, announced the duel should begin. Squaring himself, Dickinson aimed and fired at Jackson’s heart. Despite smoke and dust billowing from Jackson’s coat and his hand touching his chest, Jackson remained standing, puzzling the accomplished Dickinson. Reportedly, Dickinson asked, “My God! Have I missed him?"

Dickinson would succumb to his wounds, dying later that night. Conversely, Jackson would survive, though with two broken ribs and a bullet inches from his heart that was never removed. Reflecting on the duel, the doctor remarked to Jackson, “I don’t see how you stayed on your feet after that wound.” To which Jackson responded, “I would have stood up long enough to kill him if he had put a bullet in my brain.” In the end, Dickinson was the only man Jackson would ever kill in a duel, despite the 100 and more in which he participated, compared to the 26 men killed by Dickinson.

http://teachingamericanhistory.org/past-programs/hfotw/120528-2/
striker
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 8:58:49 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
the definition of cantankerous
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 10:18:20 AM

Neurons: 151,873
Daemon wrote:
Andrew Jackson Kills Charles Dickinson in a Duel (1806)

In 1806, nationally famous duelist and expert marksman Charles Dickinson—whose dueling career included 26 kills—was goaded by political opponents of future US President Andrew Jackson to insult Jackson's wife. A duel was arranged between the men, and Jackson took a shot to the ribs before firing what would be a fatal shot at Dickinson—the only man Jackson ever killed in his 13 duels. Jackson's wife died in 1828, two weeks after Jackson was elected president. Whom did Jackson blame for her death? More...

The evil starts with greedy, megalomania-sick addicted politicians who need the military (it all starts with one marksman and spreads into the army) to serve their corruption.
johnfl
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 11:08:46 AM

Neurons: 420,932
WHAT A WASTE OF LIFE DID DUELING DO TO SO MANY A GOOD MAN. HOW MANY WOMEN WERE DUELERS?
johnfl
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 1:26:44 PM

Neurons: 420,932
DO WE KNOW OF ANY WOMAN WHO TOOK UP ARMS IN LOUGH OF INSULTS.
aegiswiz
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 9:02:53 PM

Neurons: 26,602
Not sure if I should love or hate Jackson. Moving forward from his accomplishments to today he seems to be both an angel and a devil. I do like he took on the 2nd bank. Today if a president even thinks of challenging the private bank ("The Fed") that controls all us economy and money gets a quick lesson that shuts them up right quickly. Doesn't matter who or their political affiliation. The "Paul" family pols seem to have a feel for it, but they are routinely smashed from every possible direction as nuts or fanatics. Sort of like Jackson I suppose.
Stvn
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 9:20:05 PM

Neurons: 491,884
European code of honor in the wild wild west became the quick draw gunfights.

Some Famous Gunfighters……. Wild Bill Hickok, Doc Holiday, Billy the Kid and Johnny Ringo.
Stvn
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 9:48:42 PM

Neurons: 491,884
There were surely some wild women in the old west who could have been in some kind of duel gunfights.

Calamity Jane, Kitty Leroy, Kate Rockwell, Pearl Hart, Belle Starr…, to name some who have been in standard gunfights.