The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The Battle of Halys (585 BCE) Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 82,371
The Battle of Halys (585 BCE)

Also known as the Battle of the Eclipse, the Battle of Halys was fought between the Medes and the Lydians in 585 BCE at the Halys River in what is now Turkey. The final battle of a 15-year war between Alyattes II of Lydia and Cyaxares of Media, the fight ended abruptly due to a total solar eclipse, which was perceived as an omen that the gods wanted the war to end. After a truce, the river was declared the border of the two nations. How is the exact date of the ancient battle known? More...
Shamshad Ali Afridi
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 6:33:57 AM

Neurons: 94,307
On this day in 1998, Pakistan probably eclipsed any possibility of a large scale war with India by detonating five nuclear devices in the Ras Koh Hills in the Chagai district, Balochistan in response to indian detonations a few weeks earlier.
striker
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 8:06:04 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
anything to stop war
Gary98
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 9:31:35 AM

Neurons: 4,285,744
Ugly wars again.
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 9:48:54 AM

Neurons: 5,225,765
May 28, 585 BC-Sudden end to the battle of Halys, also known as the battle of the eclipse,

The point of this story is..as the armies were flailing away at each other on that spring day right at the River Halys, something very unexpected-at least at the time-took place: A total eclipse of the Sun.

We know this happened on May 28, 585 BC in the Late Afternoon, because NASA and the World Astronomy Community are pretty good with solar eclipses…in fact any eclipse in history, they’ve got down to the second and to GPS-level location. It’s not translating stone tablets written in dead languages, It’s just math. This scientific backup of an event in misty ancient history is now a benchmark used by historians to help put a vast number of other events into their proper chronological places. The battle of Halys, also known as the battle of the eclipse

Nothing like the sun being unexpectedly blotted from the sky to make you think twice about what you’re doing.

https://timemarcheson.wordpress.com/2011/05/28/585-bc-sudden-end-to-the-battle-of-halys-almanac-of-absurdities-for-5-28-2011/
Chandrasekhar Krishnan
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 10:10:38 AM

Neurons: 1,551,156
War is inauspicious. A long drawn war is worst. who is learning?
Wanderer
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 11:03:32 AM

Neurons: 78,988
Chandrasekhar Krishnan wrote:

Applause "I killed my enemy and said, "That will teach you!" I never found the educated.
Bobby Angell
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 11:30:39 AM

Neurons: 1,743
Science has brought us so many advances and benefits, but it lost us the ability to end a war by misinterpreting celestial events as religious ones.
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 11:43:25 AM

Neurons: 144,425
Wanderer wrote:
Chandrasekhar Krishnan wrote:

Applause "I killed my enemy and said, "That will teach you!" I never found the educated.

Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall
Stvn
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 6:56:09 PM

Neurons: 491,884
It's not that simple to stop wars. It is printed in our genes. Every living thing on this earth as far as science can tell us are created with this sense/emotion which makes us want to hurt/kill others.

I believe FEAR is the strongest emotion of human(maybe all living things)Some may say LOVE, but as far as I known love have never stopped a war. Even the most peacefull wars in the 20th century, fought by some great men like Mahatma Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi and Reverend Dr Martin Luther King Jr, was never won by love. Fear is what gave them their victory. Fear and the somewhat of little understanding of it has earned us the Peace, Freedom, Rights and so forth, which should actually be the fruits of love.

Science and Technology can't bring us miracle pills (unless some kind of brainwashing wave thing, which will reprogram all our brains at the same time)to stop wars.

We humans have to do this on our own, with our Hearts and Souls......... Basically, it's impossible.