The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Train wreck in New York. Options
pljames
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 9:14:55 AM

Neurons: 15,207
How can the engineer not remember the accident and have his attorney represent him after the accident? His logic is not sound there. He knew and the company new of the speed limit at that curve. Where is the common sense in this case? curious Paul
CovenantWord
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 10:59:38 AM

Neurons: 5,755
My understanding is that the engineer is claiming traumatic loss of memory for the time of the accident. The retention of an attorney is not necessarily a claim of well-informed innocence, but rather a reliance on professional advice in a situation with potentially significant legal consequences.

In the beginning was the Word.
redgriffin
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 1:59:44 PM

Neurons: 68,096
The Man is suffering from Traumatic Memory Loss which is common after a person has had a accident with brain injuries. The lawyer is to advise him of his rights while under questioning this also avoids premature assignment of guilt. As we are beginning to see he might not be totally at fault for the accident.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 4:02:32 PM

Neurons: 34,471
The train may have been in a collision first. They are gathering facts. Amnesia has been explained.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. Albert Einstein
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 5:01:11 AM

Neurons: 18,719
1. Just a gentle reminder that the horrific crash was in Philadelphia, which is in the state of Pennsylvania.

2. The latest news is that the engineer (driver) is fully cooperating now.

3. It has just been discovered that the engineer's train (and other trains in the area) had their windows shattered by flying objects, presumably thrown by some "human beings" who think that it is jolly fun to throw things at passing trains.

4. "Philadelphia" means "City of Brotherly Love." Many people feel that Mr. Penn would be turning in his grave if he could see the amount of violent crime (including rock throwing) that occurs daily in his once-beloved town. (Some people feel that domestic and especially foreign tourists should be warned to stay only in certain areas of the city.)

Wanderer
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 10:14:24 AM

Neurons: 78,988
Philadelphia closed 23 public schools in March. Rather than raise taxes on businesses they cut schools on a place where the poverty rate is the highest. Parser, are you surprised that someone was emraged and threw a rock at a train. It's almost the David and Goliath story.
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 1:49:49 PM

Neurons: 18,719
Wanderer wrote:

Parser, are you surprised that someone was emraged and threw a rock at a train. It's almost the David and Goliath story.

Hello, Wanderer:

Nice to meet you.

I know that you sincerely believe in what you have said.

And it is not my place to say that you are wrong. (I ALWAYS keep my place.)

There are, however, some people who feel that poverty and closed schools are NO excuse for such vicious behavior.

There have always been poor people in the United States. (Think of those poor people who suffered during the Depression of the 1930s.)

Yet most of those people did NOT throw rocks. (Neither did they rob, steal, or loot.)

I know that you will not change your mind; neither will I.

One thing for sure: If they ever catch those individuals, nothing will happen to them.

Why? Because the media, politicians, and the courts have the same opinion as you do.

To be fair, there is no proof yet that the rock throwing contributed to the crash.

But if it did, everything will be done to make an excuse for those rock throwers.

Wanderer
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 8:25:28 AM

If the US has the greatest numbers of citizens in jails than any other country, who gets away with crime? It sure isn't the poor.
yathuplays
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 8:38:40 PM

Neurons: 17,813
This was not in new York it was in Pennsylvania
Wanderer
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 9:17:18 AM

I heard a news story about a man who claims he could hack into a plane's computer. It seems that someone could have hacked into the train's computer. Maybe?
Irma Crespo
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2015 5:48:57 PM

Neurons: 53,860
I agree with the following reasoning : "My understanding is that the engineer is claiming traumatic loss of memory for the time of the accident. The retention of an attorney is not necessarily a claim of well-informed innocence, but rather a reliance on professional advice in a situation with potentially significant legal consequences."
It is obvious that the claim of traumatic loss of memory at or for the time of the accident is being used for purpose of excluding any wrongdoing from the train engineer, thus an act that cannot accounted for by him. This is a point guided towards obtaining an innocent veredict. In a case such as this, which has potentially significant legal consequences, any intelligent person will pursue to retent an attorney for profesional advice.