The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Spontaneously exploding olive oil Options
thrustae
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 5:00:00 PM

Neurons: 51
On Wenzday I purchased a one-liter glass bottle of extra virgin olive oil. There was just a little remaining olive oil in the existing bottle, so I opened the new one and added the contents of the old one to it, nearly filling the bottle to the very top. On Thursday I came home in the evening and the bottle had exploded. It was still standing upright but one side of it was broken open, leaving a gaping hole. There were some cracks on the opposite side, and the olive oil and pieces of glass were all over the counter and the ground. It doesn't look like it was knocked over but like some force was somehow applied locally to part of the bottle. No one was home, but it was terribly hot inside when I got in.

Possibilities:
  • Stray bullet (unlikely as there is no auxiliary damage anywhere)
  • Poltergeist
  • Cats (but they wouldn't/couldn't have put the bottle back on the counter if they had knocked it down)
  • Burglar (unlikely as there is no evidence of a break-in and nothing was taken)
  • The heat caused the bottle to over-pressurize and explode

Anyone have any ideas why/how that happened?
  • Epiphileon
    Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 5:33:55 PM

Neurons: 92,919
    You have a secret agent, ninja kitty, and it was showing off.
    Okay probably not.
    Did you buy the new bottle at a store with extreme air-conditioning?
    Was the bottle in direct sunlight?
    Usually such bottles are meant to take a reasonable amount of overpressure, and it would seem to me that as air is readily compressible, and the extra volume of oil would decrease the volume of air, then it would require that olive oil have a relatively high expansion rate.

Here you go...
    "All fats and oils have a particular density (approx. 0.9 g/cm3). With a rise in temperature, however, density diminishes, thereby leading at the same time to an increase in volume. This behavior is described by the coefficient of cubic expansion and is known as thermal dilatation.

The coefficient of cubic expansion amounts to: g = approx. 0.00072°C-1

As a rule of thumb, oils may be expected to increase in volume by 1% of their total volume for each 14°C temperature increase.

When filling the barrels or tanks, attention must however be paid to the expansion behavior of the cargo in the event of a rise in temperature (risk of bursting of barrels)."

source

So if the temperature of the oil rose 27° F you would have a 100ml expansion of volume, did you have that much room in the bottle?

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
    thrustae
    Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 6:06:46 PM

That's a good answer, Epiphileon.
    I all but topped it off; I think there may have been about 5ml of space remaining. And it was near a window on a very hot, sunny day, so I think those factors explain it: expansion from heat and no room to expand.
    Raparee
    Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 6:14:37 PM

Neurons: 18,102
    thrustae wrote:
    That's a good answer, Epiphileon.
    I all but topped it off; I think there may have been about 5ml of space remaining. And it was near a window on a very hot, sunny day, so I think those factors explain it: expansion from heat and no room to expand.

I would imagine it was this, but I really, really like the idea of the secret agent ninja kitty. I would not put it past my kitties. *eyes cats suspiciously*

A closed mind is like a closed book - nothing can be gained if either remains closed.
    mailady
    Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 6:30:21 PM

Neurons: 2,752
    Man....!! What a mess!!!!!
    oxymoron
    Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 8:13:05 PM

Neurons: 845
    Thrustae, you talking of this has reminded me of a question I too would like an answer for.
    When one defrosts meat left inside the plastic freezer bag, how come you get bloody residue on the drainer or bowl? How does the blood get out of the bag?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. Jiddu Krishnamurti

abcxyz
    Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 8:52:52 PM

Neurons: 3,200
    oxymoron wrote:
    Thrustae, you talking of this has reminded me of a question I too would like an answer for.
    When one defrosts meat left inside the plastic freezer bag, how come you get bloody residue on the drainer or bowl? How does the blood get out of the bag?

Check for leaks. If you keep it tilted then probably it leaks out through the seal. Or if there are old bloodstains on the floor of the fridge it's likely that some of the blood sticks to the bag when you take it out, but that's if the fridge is really unclean.
    If the bag and the fridge are perfectly clean, there should be a leak.
    Pardon my poor English, I just couldn't phrase it right.

In this world there is no literate population that is poor and no illiterate population that is other than poor. - J.K.Galbraith
    thrustae
    Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 9:06:58 PM

mailady wrote:
    Man....!! What a mess!!!!!

A terrible mess. I mopped over it twice and it's still somewhat slippery.
    oxymoron
    Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 10:14:30 PM

abcxyz wrote:
    oxymoron wrote:

Check for leaks. If you keep it tilted then probably it leaks out through the seal. Or if there are old bloodstains on the floor of the fridge it's likely that some of the blood sticks to the bag when you take it out, but that's if the fridge is really unclean.
    If the bag and the fridge are perfectly clean, there should be a leak.
    Pardon my poor English, I just couldn't phrase it right.

There are no leeks and the bag remains sealed till one arrives home from work. This happens every time I defrost meat for past 30 years. Has to be a scientific answer.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. Jiddu Krishnamurti

Raparee
    Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 10:34:45 PM

Neurons: 18,102
    oxymoron wrote:
    There are no leeks and the bag remains sealed till one arrives home from work. This happens every time I defrost meat for past 30 years. Has to be a scientific answer.

Well, you're not the only one. The only answer I've ever had is that when the meat freezes, the ice crystals create micropunctures and pinpricks in the bag so when it thaws, it bleeds...all over everything. I am pretty much resigned to this fact of life, regardless of the reasoning.

A closed mind is like a closed book - nothing can be gained if either remains closed.
    ppvyas
    Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 4:36:01 AM

Neurons: 36
    We normally attach importance to pressure in the bottle created by the vapours. For liquids, the volumetric expansion can be significant at times and can crack open a glass bottle. Or even create a bulbous bump on an inch thick closed steel container to create spare space.

No doubt volumetric expansion is the culprit here.

Let the ghosts rest...........
    Tovarish
    Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 4:46:03 AM

Neurons: 39,933
    Trustae, was it near your microwave oven?
    I had a large glass bowl near mine, and it nuked it.
    WOwara
    Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 6:23:58 AM

Neurons: 204
    I am not sure about olive oil, but some natural oils degrade slightly with age and mixing them with fresh oil can cause a small reaction that gives off heat. As for the frozen meat, Raparee got it. My mom told me to always let the meat defrost in the sink or a bowl or pan.

Bill.
    oxymoron
    Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 6:56:52 AM

Raparee wrote:
    oxymoron wrote:

Well, you're not the only one. The only answer I've ever had is that when the meat freezes, the ice crystals create micropunctures and pinpricks in the bag so when it thaws, it bleeds...all over everything. I am pretty much resigned to this fact of life, regardless of the reasoning.

Figured as much Rap ,ditto & cheers.

Tovarish
    Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 7:57:49 AM

WO, with our high temperatures in Australia, you need to be very careful defrosting meat, especially chicken.

I dont like to disagree with your Mother, but you should defrost your meat in a bowl, in the fridge.

We have a Health Dept Rule, under 6 degrees or over 60 degrees for food, that is celsius.

The bacteria that forms in room temperature are extremely harmful.
    thrustae
    Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 4:49:50 PM

Tovarish wrote:
    Trustae, was it near your microwave oven?
    I had a large glass bowl near mine, and it nuked it.

It was right close to the microwave. The warrior cat theory is still plausible though.

srirr
    Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 6:44:35 AM

Neurons: 298,453
    If Olive oil comes from olive, where does baby oil comes from? Brick wall

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
    Tovarish
    Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 6:49:57 AM

My money is on the micro-wave.
    skyrings
    Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 6:59:49 AM

Neurons: 146
    srirr wrote:

If Olive oil comes from olive, where does baby oil comes from? Brick wall

come from baby!! Whistle

If I die, I forgive you, if I recover, we shall see
    pedro
    Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 7:20:15 AM

Neurons: 61,899
    Tovarish wrote:
    My money is on the micro-wave.

As long as it isn't in the microwave

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
    TYSON
    Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 10:06:41 PM

Neurons: 3,793
    Tovarish wrote:
    WO, with our high temperatures in Australia, you need to be very careful defrosting meat, especially chicken.

I dont like to disagree with your Mother, but you should defrost your meat in a bowl, in the fridge.

We have a Health Dept Rule, under 6 degrees or over 60 degrees for food, that is celsius.

The bacteria that forms in room temperature are extremely harmful.

True Tovarish. Take note everybody. I worked in hospitality for many years. The 6-60 degrees is reffered to as "the danger zone". Keep food out of those temeratures to be sure of a healthy and vommit free day.

I think therefore I think I am
    Tovarish
    Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 11:32:47 PM

Thanks Tyson, the medical ramification are disastrous, by not adhering to this info.
    Especially pork and chicken!
    26letters
    Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:13:05 AM

Neurons: 2,050
    oxymoron Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 10:14:30 PM
    This happens every time I defrost meat for past 30 years.

26letters writes: oxy, after 30 years, I'd throw the meat away.

thrustae, there can be only one explanation for this. Putting a foreign oil on the counter within sight of the kitchen canisters was inviting trouble. It's generally accepted that flour, sugar, coffee and tea get along with each other; but introduce a foreigner and they seem to find strength in numbers, ganging up on the poor soul until that one is overwhelmed. If you ask me (you really shouldn't) I think the coffee kept chiding the olive oil, calling it a "tub o' lard" until it finally ... well, exploded.

Case dismissed.

kisholoy mukherjee
    Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:50:49 PM

Neurons: 7,777
    Raparee wrote:
    oxymoron wrote:

I agree with this explanation.

Gotcha, bud, again
    thrustae
    Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:04:38 PM

26letters wrote:
    oxymoron Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 10:14:30 PM
    This happens every time I defrost meat for past 30 years.

26letters writes: oxy, after 30 years, I'd throw the meat away.

thrustae, there can be only one explanation for this. Putting a foreign oil on the counter within sight of the kitchen canisters was inviting trouble. It's generally accepted that flour, sugar, coffee and tea get along with each other; but introduce a foreigner and they seem to find strength in numbers, ganging up on the poor soul until that one is overwhelmed. If you ask me (you really shouldn't) I think the coffee kept chiding the olive oil, calling it a "tub o' lard" until it finally ... well, exploded.

Case dismissed.

That's definitely another possibility. The coffee is over on top of the fridge, but there are a lots of exotic seasonings all around the counter space where the olive oil was. The cayenne pepper, for example, packs a good punch. Good enough to break through glass, even.
    Debbie
    Posted: Thursday, June 3, 2010 10:51:00 AM

Neurons: 18
    Hello
    Olive oil reprsents the anointing. The Lord is the One who gives the anointing. No one was home so that says that it is the Lord that causes the explosion of the anointing. So it says that the anointing is going to be abundant in your house. The anointing is what breaks the yokes and destroys burdens.
    When it is from the Lord it will get our attention.

Have a great day.
    Nikki Tucker
    Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2018 3:20:56 AM

Neurons: 5
    Same thing just happened to us 2 hours ago! Came here for some answers! After reading the comments i realize I filled the glass jar way too much of oil! The same exact thing occurred. A large piece on the side of the glass just separated from the rest of the glass. Lots of oil and to clean 😫