The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Who is there who has not felt a sudden startled pang at reliving an old experience or feeling an old emotion? Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 87,066
Who is there who has not felt a sudden startled pang at reliving an old experience or feeling an old emotion?

Agatha Christie (1890-1976)
Nisar Akhtar
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 1:40:02 AM

Neurons: 347,512
Old age is not the end of life: it is in fact the road to a dreamworld.
Bully_rus
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 4:22:10 AM

Neurons: 260,006
It is one which is either too young to have any meaningful emotional experience or too old to use it properly...
marija15.4.2015.
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 4:34:54 AM

Neurons: 223
I see you are extremely old.
Wagner Douglas
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 7:14:43 AM

Neurons: 410,716
This is what I call "unvarnished truth". Every single sentient human being had...has...or will have experienced a sudden sharp pain or a painful emotion.

Well put, Ms.Christie!

This quote belongs to her unparalleled book: Curtain.

What a quote, what a book!
Suranjeet
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 7:48:58 AM

Neurons: 1,219
A meticulous writer of " Murder Mysteries". I do not know the name of the Novel in which she used the Quote!!
I always appreciate her genius -how close she was in understanding the intrigues of minds.
azbnb
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 8:15:35 AM

Neurons: 754,754
Wish I could make money by stating the obvious...how about this: when painful stuff is remembered, it hurts us again, happens to everyone!
striker
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 8:15:51 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
everyday!
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 10:20:43 AM

Neurons: 150,619
Daemon wrote:
Who is there who has not felt a sudden startled pang at reliving an old experience or feeling an old emotion?

People ingeniously make the same mistakes all over again!.. a kind of self-defeating, suicidal instinct, getting close to the mystery of birth, or death, or both...
monamagda
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 5:07:21 PM

Neurons: 5,680,887
Quote from Christie`s : `Curtain` (Hercule Poirot, #39) by Agatha Christie

Chapter 1

“I have done this before...”

Why do those words always move one so profoundly?

That was the question I asked myself as I sat in the train watching the flat Essex landscape outside.

How long ago was it that I had taken this self-same journey? Had felt (ridiculously) that the best of life was over for me! Wounded in that war that for me would always be the war - the war that was wiped out now by a second and a more desperate war.

It had seemed in 1916 to young Arthur Hastings that he was already old and mature. How little had I realized that, for me, life was only then beginning.

I had been journeying, though I did not know it, to meet the man whose influence over me was to shape and mould my life. Actually I had been going to stay with my old friend John Cavendish, whose mother, recently remarried, had a country house named “Styles.” A pleasant renewing of old acquaintanceships, that was all I had thought it, not foreseeing that I was shortly to plunge into all the dark embroilments of a mysterious murder.

It was at Styles that I had met again that strange little man, Hercule Poirot, whom I had first come across in Belgium.

How well I remembered my amazement when I had seen the limping figure with the large moustache coming up the village street.

Hercule Poirot! Since those days he had been my dearest friend; his influence had moulded my life. In company with him, in the hunting down of yet another murderer, I had met my wife, the truest and sweetest companion any man could have had.

http://www.kkbooks.net/books/3533.html
Dinos Constantinou
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 7:00:59 PM

Neurons: 659
Milica Boghunovich wrote:
Daemon wrote:

People ingeniously make the same mistakes all over again!.. a kind of self-defeating, suicidal instinct, getting close to the mystery of birth, or death, or both...

I think it was Jung who said, "A well-balanced person can make the same mistake twice and not feel nervous about it." However, you're right that to keep repeating the same mistakes is most unhealthy. Well said!
Fredric Frank Myers
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 7:08:37 PM

Neurons: 22,366
More times then I really care to remember, OUCH...
Verbatim
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 7:54:29 PM

Neurons: 246,144
Dinos Constantinou wrote: 'I think it was Jung who said, "A well-balanced person can make the same mistake twice and not feel nervous about it." '

Dear Carl would go to any length to advocate "individuation", including, perhaps, plagiarizing Alexander Hamilton, who apparently said before him:

"A well adjusted person is one who makes the same mistake twice without getting nervous." Shame on you
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/nervous.html#7lUxiJFC8fjoI4uK.99

Errare humanum est..... equilibrium ad infinitum? Whistle
Lizanne
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 9:54:19 PM

Neurons: 179,673
Alas, everyone has. Fini~
Elizabeth~
Verbatim
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2015 2:05:16 PM

Neurons: 246,144
Daemon wrote:

Old experience or emotion relived can even be sourced back in time to ancestors through atavistic memory. We come into this world
loaded with their baggage.
Dinos Constantinou
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2015 6:39:30 PM

Neurons: 659
Verbatim wrote:
Dinos Constantinou wrote: 'I think it was Jung who said, "A well-balanced person can make the same mistake twice and not feel nervous about it." '

Dear Carl would go to any length to advocate "individuation", including, perhaps, plagiarizing Alexander Hamilton, who apparently said before him:

"A well adjusted person is one who makes the same mistake twice without getting nervous." Shame on you
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/nervous.html#7lUxiJFC8fjoI4uK.99

Errare humanum est..... equilibrium ad infinitum? Whistle

Thanks for supplying the original quote from Alexander Hamilton and for the link to an excellent site on quotes.