The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

gender-oriented words. Options
kaliedel
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 4:09:59 PM

Neurons: 1,029
Luftmarque wrote:
I think so, yes. And that seems to be a rare case of a generally negative male only term. What would a female gigolo be? Surely not a prostitute or hooker. Gold-digger maybe?

Since "gold-digger" for a woman is usually paired with "sugar daddy" for a man, then what is the female equivalent of "sugar daddy?" Is there one, even?
Luftmarque
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 5:18:51 PM

Neurons: 39,962
kaliedel wrote:
Luftmarque wrote:
I think so, yes. And that seems to be a rare case of a generally negative male only term. What would a female gigolo be? Surely not a prostitute or hooker. Gold-digger maybe?

Since "gold-digger" for a woman is usually paired with "sugar daddy" for a man, then what is the female equivalent of "sugar daddy?" Is there one, even?

I saw that one in an article about an online market for connecting the participants in these sorts of arrangements—it was "sugar mommy" (and they also used "sugar baby"). The daddies had to pay about $50/month while the babies could join for free. About 1% of the users were classified as mommies (woman looking for a man to support and be serviced by). What was most fascinating to me was the degree of self-delusion the daddies could sustain, as in, "I set a time-limit to the arrangement, and always make sure that there's more to it than sex, otherwise I couldn't be sure whether the girl was really interested in me or just in the money." Yeah, right!

}- Luftmarque لوفتمارك -{ Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.—Voltaire