The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

ты не был бы Options
puercopigsk8
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2015 3:13:59 PM

Neurons: 38,337
hello everyone, I was watching a video on youtube and in the video a girl uses this sentence, "несмотря на сколько ты не был бы близок к нему", in the video the translation appears as "despite how close you would be to him", but my question is,wouldn't it be more accurate "despite how close you wouldn't be to him" I know it makes more sense without the "not", but then why se used "не"?. I would really appreciate any help.
The complete convesration goes like this.

1-а какая любимая ваша русская поговорка?
2-чужая душа - потемки
1-а как вы ее понимаете?
2-ну то, что никогда невозможно познать человека до конца другого. несмотря на сколько ты не был бы близок к нему
Helenej
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2015 3:50:07 PM

Neurons: 8,272
The Russian sentence is worded awkwardly. It should be:

"Ну то, что никогда невозможно до конца познать другого человека, как бы близок он тебе ни был."

'Ни' is an intensive particle, not a negative one. It intensifies negation expressed by the particle 'не' and other negations (никогда, невозможно).

In English, I would suggest, "... no matter how close they are to you". This may be incorrect, though, as English is not my native language.
puercopigsk8
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2015 7:01:48 PM

Neurons: 38,337
Helenej большое спасибо, thank you so much, this was from a street interview, and sometimes people may get nervous, I do, and therefore speak in a wrong way, but yeah, that "не" was driving me crazy, for I really didn't understand why it was there.

greetings from Mexico
Helenej
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2015 2:42:55 AM

Neurons: 8,272
puercopigsk8 wrote:
This was from a street interview, and sometimes people may get nervous, I do, and therefore speak in a wrong way.

I agree. I might probably say the same at the sight of a camera and a microphone. :)

puercopigsk8 wrote:
That "не" was driving me crazy, for I really didn't understand why it was there.

We use that 'ни' mechanically, but yes, come to think about it, it's pretty difficult to explain how it has occured to people to start using it in such type of clauses.

vinekil
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 1:20:13 PM

Neurons: 10
The sentence "несмотря на сколько ты не был бы близок к нему" grammatically incorrect.
It should be like:
1) "на сколько ты не был бы близок к нему"
or
2) "несмотря на то, на сколько ты был близок к нему" / "несмотря на сколько ты был близок к нему"

I would suggest to use the first option here as we use word "бы" in sentences where we want to describe a hypothetical possibility.
Elena Pantazi
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2016 12:35:05 AM

Neurons: 101,602
puercopigsk8 wrote:
hello everyone, I was watching a video on youtube and in the video a girl uses this sentence, "несмотря на сколько ты не был бы близок к нему", in the video the translation appears as "despite how close you would be to him", but my question is,wouldn't it be more accurate "despite how close you wouldn't be to him" I know it makes more sense without the "not", but then why se used "не"?. I would really appreciate any help.
The complete convesration goes like this.

1-а какая любимая ваша русская поговорка?
2-чужая душа - потемки
1-а как вы ее понимаете?
2-ну то, что никогда невозможно познать человека до конца другого. несмотря на сколько ты не был бы близок к нему

It's a sort of corrupted, tongue-tied Russian talk.
A correctly worded phrase would be:
"Ну то, что никогда нельзя познать другого человека до конца, как бы ты ни был близок к нему".
Ни stands for no matter in such phrases.
= "no matter how close you would be to him"