The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

US President Ronald Reagan Is Shot (1981) Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,985
US President Ronald Reagan Is Shot (1981)

Just 69 days into his presidency, Ronald Reagan was shot in Washington, DC, along with three others. The would-be assassin, John Hinckley, Jr., was motivated by an obsession with actress Jodie Foster and the film Taxi Driver. Reagan soon recovered, and Hinckley was found not guilty by reason of insanity and confined to a psychiatric facility. While Reagan was hospitalized, Secretary of State Alexander Haig made a controversial statement about presidential succession. What did he say? More...
striker
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 9:58:15 AM

Neurons: 2,240,255
i don't understand why people would do that
monamagda
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 2:32:44 PM

Neurons: 5,674,176
Moments in U.S. Diplomatic History

Al Haig and the Reagan Assassination Attempt — “I’m in charge here”

Behind Al Haig’s 1981 ‘I’m in control here’ statement
Special to WorldTribune.com
By Greg Davis, Global Information System / Defense & Foreign Affairs

Haig dashed a note to Speaks telling him to step away from the dais and to stop answering questions. Haig then dashed into the Press Room and announced he would answer the question, and stated:
“Constitutionally, gentlemen, you have the President, the Vice President, and the Secretary of State, in that order, and should the President decide he wants to transfer the helm to the Vice President, he will do so. … As of now, I am in control here, in the White House, pending the return of the Vice President and in close touch with him. If something came up, I would check with him, of course.”

The immediate result of Haig’s appearance in the White House Press Room, announcing on international television that he was “in control” had the desired effect. The last thing the Soviets expected was to see Gen. Haig at the head of the U.S. Government, with his finger on the trigger and ready to exercise this opportunity to even the score with the Soviets for their failed assassination attempt on him in Europe.

The media and the Left immediately seized on only one part of Haig’s statement, ie: “I am in control here” and began the debate of legal Presidential succession, and attacked Haig as a “power- hungry war-monger”.
What they failed to recognize, or ever acknowledge, was that Haig had averted World War III; they now had a new target to ridicule, and, of course, Weinberger and Allen were only too happy to add fuel to the fire to diminish Haig’s relationship with Reagan and Bush and to increase their own political base.
In Washington, it matters not who is right, but who has the friendship and support of the Media.

http://www.worldtribune.com/2013/03/19/behind-al-haigs-1981-im-in-control-here-statement/
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 3:38:52 PM

Neurons: 1,758,874
Reminds of Family Snapshot by Peter Gabriel.
Wanderer
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 5:35:59 PM

Neurons: 78,988
Al Haig was as dirty a dealer as ever dealt. He was a man of simplistic views of anti-communism, anti-diplomacy who was involved in the Nixon Whitehouse illegal wiretaps. He tried to disrupt the peace talks over Vietnam. He blamed Nixon for losing an unwinable war. And all of that is before he even went to work for Reagan. Yes, I believe he was a war pig.
Gary98
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 5:48:48 PM

Neurons: 4,779,165
monamagda wrote:
Moments in U.S. Diplomatic History

Al Haig and the Reagan Assassination Attempt — “I’m in charge here”

Behind Al Haig’s 1981 ‘I’m in control here’ statement
Special to WorldTribune.com
By Greg Davis, Global Information System / Defense & Foreign Affairs

Haig dashed a note to Speaks telling him to step away from the dais and to stop answering questions. Haig then dashed into the Press Room and announced he would answer the question, and stated:
“Constitutionally, gentlemen, you have the President, the Vice President, and the Secretary of State, in that order, and should the President decide he wants to transfer the helm to the Vice President, he will do so. … As of now, I am in control here, in the White House, pending the return of the Vice President and in close touch with him. If something came up, I would check with him, of course.”

The immediate result of Haig’s appearance in the White House Press Room, announcing on international television that he was “in control” had the desired effect. The last thing the Soviets expected was to see Gen. Haig at the head of the U.S. Government, with his finger on the trigger and ready to exercise this opportunity to even the score with the Soviets for their failed assassination attempt on him in Europe.

The media and the Left immediately seized on only one part of Haig’s statement, ie: “I am in control here” and began the debate of legal Presidential succession, and attacked Haig as a “power- hungry war-monger”.
What they failed to recognize, or ever acknowledge, was that Haig had averted World War III; they now had a new target to ridicule, and, of course, Weinberger and Allen were only too happy to add fuel to the fire to diminish Haig’s relationship with Reagan and Bush and to increase their own political base.
In Washington, it matters not who is right, but who has the friendship and support of the Media.

http://www.worldtribune.com/2013/03/19/behind-al-haigs-1981-im-in-control-here-statement/

Is this true? Kind of hard to know all those details in Soviet Union.
Gary98
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 5:49:19 PM

Neurons: 4,779,165
Wanderer wrote:
Al Haig was as dirty a dealer as ever dealt. He was a man of simplistic views of anti-communism, anti-diplomacy who was involved in the Nixon Whitehouse illegal wiretaps. He tried to disrupt the peace talks over Vietnam. He blamed Nixon for losing an unwinable war. And all of that is before he even went to work for Reagan. Yes, I believe he was a war pig.

I will not be surprised if this is true.
Wanderer
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 7:07:04 PM

Neurons: 78,988
Yes. Haig did say exactly that at the news conference. I don't know what the Soviets heard, but I heard it live.