The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

one does not love breathing. Options
prolixitysquared
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:18:10 PM

Neurons: 3,101
I believe I posted this quote somewhere else in reference to another topic. I'm re-posting it alone now to learn everyone's opinions about it.

"Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing."

It's from Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird.
klee
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:50:42 PM

Neurons: 128
I think it may mean that many times we don't appreciate what we have until we don't have it.
prolixitysquared
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:08:36 PM

klee wrote:
I think it may mean that many times we don't appreciate what we have until we don't have it.

Definitely ! I was just wondering if the quote itself made those who've read the book more appreciative of this right. Sometimes I think we take for granted how fortunate we are to be literate. And there are so many wonderful things to take away from reading good literature.
Isaac Samuel
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:46:34 PM

Neurons: 1,222
I thought ignorance is blissful!!!
Demosth
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:13:57 AM

Neurons: 190
I never loved to breathe... until I feared I would lose it.

It, of course, being the ability to do so.

I would agree. Enjoy as many things as you can in life while you are still able.
kaliedel
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:20:48 PM

Neurons: 1,029
Certainly a variation of the "grass is always greener" argument - envious of everything but what you have, and ignorant to the goodness of it.
mustabir
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 4:59:29 PM

Neurons: 141
prolixitysquared wrote:

"Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing."

The people really do not appreciate and consider the value of any "natural" abilities unless they have an unfortunate incident hindering them from having these.

But I rather wonder which idea has actually led the author to have a fear of losing the faculty of "reading".
prolixitysquared
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 9:50:19 PM

mustabir wrote:
prolixitysquared wrote:

The people really do not appreciate and consider the value of any "natural" abilities unless they have an unfortunate incident hindering them from having these.

But I rather wonder which idea has actually led the author to have a fear of losing the faculty of "reading".

In the book, the main character, Scout, was scolded by her teacher for being further ahead than the lesson plan because her father already taught her how to read at home. The teacher wanted everyone in the class at the same level, so she told Scout that she wasn't allowed to 'read' anymore, or something along those lines.

Scout finds this demand absurd, preposterous, and unfair. It also points out how one teacher needing to stay on track with her lesson plan can be discouraging to a child who is doing great by already knowing such a skill as reading when her peers were still illiterate.